Empty chamber? - Page 3

Empty chamber?

This is a discussion on Empty chamber? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Rockymonster Can we at least agree that we need an empty chamber before we can clean it? “Chamber Maid” Attachment 303982 I ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree160Likes

Thread: Empty chamber?

Quote Originally Posted by Rockymonster View Post
    Can we at least agree that we need an empty chamber before we can clean it?

“Chamber Maid”

Attachment 303982
    I love that your posts always seem to come after my sometimes stubborn opinions to try to make some light of the discussion.
    gatorbait51 and OD* like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockymonster View Post
    Can we at least agree that we need an empty chamber before we can clean it?

“Chamber Maid”

Attachment 303982
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    I love that your posts always seem to come after my sometimes stubborn opinions to try to make some light of the discussion.
    Thanks for that, however, I’d like to contribute in a meaningful way more often.....

Although I do believe a sense of humor is a good de-escalation tool....
    Rooster, gatorbait51 and Nix like this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF

Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    I think the ND and resulting death while cleaning a firearm is something police agencies claim to cover up officer suicides. Sadly.
    Maybe some, but had a co-worker who blew a large chunk of his palm off while cleaning his gun. He "thought" it was unloaded, it was one that requires you to pull the trigger to disassemble, and had his palm over the bore to slightly rack the slide to finish.
    I asked him how many safety violations had he broke and how many could he have broken and not had an AD or lost a piece of himself?
    Since the round exited the house he was lucky nobody else was hurt.
    The whole point of the safety rules is tolerance stack, but at some point violate enough and you will cause harm.
    I gave him grief whenever I could on it.
    Rockymonster and gatorbait51 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pskys2 View Post
    Maybe some, but had a co-worker who blew a large chunk of his palm off while cleaning his gun. He "thought" it was unloaded, it was one that requires you to pull the trigger to disassemble, and had his palm over the bore to slightly rack the slide to finish.
    I asked him how many safety violations had he broke and how many could he have broken and not had an AD or lost a piece of himself?
    Since the round exited the house he was lucky nobody else was hurt.
    The whole point of the safety rules is tolerance stack, but at some point violate enough and you will cause harm.
    I gave him grief whenever I could on it.
    And now he has a permanent reminder of his safety lapse(s)....
    pskys2 and gatorbait51 like this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    The chamber should only be empty when cleaning the gun.
    Step 1 to cleaning a gun? It isnt making sure the gun is clear. Its making sure you have another loaded gun within arms reach. Step 2 is clearing the gun to be cleaned.
    Rockymonster and gatorbait51 like this.

Empty chamber in my carry piece?

No thanks.

All five are occupied in my snub.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

If I decided to carry my old Colt SAA, then sure, I'd be carrying it with an empty chamber under the hammer. But the last time I did that was in the late 60's. I always carry my J frames with a full cylinder. Five shots is few enough.

Senior Member Array KevinRohrer's Avatar
    Empty chamber?-2i8zup0.jpg
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, American Legion

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    I carry with all five chambers loaded!

But I do like to just remind people when this topic comes up that the Israeli forces and the Russian Spetsnaz carry with empty chambers and those people are prepared for gunfights! So I try to not be so purist.
    When I am as well trained and proficient as these guys I might consider carrying with an empty chamber. But neither situation is likely.
    Rockymonster likes this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

VIP Member
    My Chamber Maid says....

Empty chamber?-3dc737e5-010e-4608-901b-73890cd066b0.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    Empty chamber for Navy Shore Police...when they are allowed to even have a gun! Of course you will always be safe on a Naval installation because no firearms are allowed even for off-duty LEO's! BTW, that is not the way it is on most Army & AF installations.
    Every time I carried a pistol for the Air Force, it was loaded chamber, decocked safety off in the M9
    5lima30ret, msgt/ret and since9 like this.

While I think it common knowledge that condition 1 is the only method of carry for immediate threat response, I do not subscribe to the idea that it’s better to not carry at all if one chooses to carry with an empty chamber.

To allow for a broader perspective, it’s much like the idea that a concealed carry under layers of clothing is faster than a pocket carried gun, or other such method in which there are pros and cons, of which neither can be predictable in their occurrences.

It presupposes that all deadly force or firearm needs will be immediate, which is not true at all, as surely it is easily demonstrated that there are many situations where there is a need for a firearm , but there is adequate time to ready it for use.

An example is there is a certain lady in my office who has a RIA Officer length gun in her desk with a loaded mag, empty chamber because she is worried about someone coming in with an ax to grind in the worst way, but she is not comfortable with a round chambered.....however, at least she has a gun if someone comes in shooting.

With that said, for my purposes, I carry one in the pipe. However, keeping in mind different people with different skill level and needs that want something available to them, I would rather them do this than nothing at all.
    10thmtn, OldVet, msgt/ret and 7 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by norcalAF View Post
    Every time I carried a pistol for the Air Force, it was loaded chamber, decocked safety off in the M9
    Mine had all six chambers loaded, S&W M-10/15.
    norcalAF, Pete63, OD* and 1 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

VIP Member
    I recently acquired this police trade-in, & it's in current rotation. Replacing my XD sub-compact. Cocked & locked!

Empty chamber?-100_0794.jpg
    OD*, G-man* and Nix like this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete63 View Post
    I recently acquired this police trade-in, & it's in current rotation. Replacing my XD sub-compact. Cocked & locked!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0794.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	2.68 MB 
ID:	304876
    Which police force was still using the high power? Neat find nonetheless.
    Pete63 likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links