Shooting firearm after cleaning before carrying again? - Page 2

Shooting firearm after cleaning before carrying again?

This is a discussion on Shooting firearm after cleaning before carrying again? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yes, I function test my Off Duty carry pistol, after a field strip, which I do weekly, even I do not fire it. Of course, ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree120Likes

Thread: Shooting firearm after cleaning before carrying again?

Yes, I function test my Off Duty carry pistol, after a field strip, which I do weekly, even I do not fire it. Of course, this assumes the firing pin is in tact and is capable of hitting a primer. What I do, is take dummy rounds (orange), and color the face with a dry erase marker (blue or black work best). I cycle the marked dummy rounds through, first one, I decock and press the trigger double action, hold the trigger to the rear, cycle the action, reset, and press the trigger single action. I make safe, and inspect the dummy rounds I ejected, to ensure the firing pin struck the back of them. The firing pin will leave a bright orange indentation and spot to contrast against the dark color I marked them with. No need to send anything down range and dirty up my pistol.
    As for my duty pistol, I guess I rely on my Armory Officer, who is awesome! Our Glocks run great, and he cleans them right after we qualify with them, so unless something happens from the time I finish qualification, to the time he reassembles after I just fired it, the gun is good to go.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    AndyC and CavemanBob like this.

VIP Member
    I foul the barrel of my hunting rifles at the beginning of the season. Just a family tradition. I’ve yet to have a preacher damn me for the doin.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

After cleaning, I do a function check with a dry fire. If it's not my carry piece, it gets a snap cap in the chamber.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Seems kind of counter productive to me....
    Rockymonster and OD* like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Nix
    I'll be a little contrary here.

I used to clean my firearms after every trip to the range. Now...not so much. If I'm going to carry a pistol, I make sure it works either by firing a few rounds or by performing a function check. If I don't get the chance to fire the pistol, I'll function check it, to include snapping the firing pin against a pencil eraser to make sure the pin will be hitting the primer with force.

If I've fired a few rounds as my function check, I'll run a bore snake through the barrel, wipe out the chamber, and wipe the pistol down. Make sure it's lubed appropriately.

I do like the smell of Hoppes #9 and a clean pistol, but I really like to know that the firearm is going to work if I need it. A little fouling won't hurt a good firearm.
    G-man* likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    I'll be a little contrary here.

I used to clean my firearms after every trip to the range. Now...not so much. If I'm going to carry a pistol, I make sure it works either by firing a few rounds or by performing a function check. If I don't get the chance to fire the pistol, I'll function check it, to include snapping the firing pin against a pencil eraser to make sure the pin will be hitting the primer with force.

If I've fired a few rounds as my function check, I'll run a bore snake through the barrel, wipe out the chamber, and wipe the pistol down. Make sure it's lubed appropriately.

I do like the smell of Hoppes #9 and a clean pistol, but I really like to know that the firearm is going to work if I need it. A little fouling won't hurt a good firearm.
    I agree. After 300 plus rounds thru my gun this weekend, I brushed off the bolt face, snaked the bore twice, and sipped off the feed ramp, then straight to carry mode.

If you need to field strip a gun after a little shooting to make sure it will operate properly, ya need a better gun.
    Nix, Havok, Rockymonster and 3 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Seems kind of OCD. Like washing your hands after you dry them because there might have been germs on the towel.

Clean your gun after you shoot it.

Bathe every Saturday.

Like we did in the Navy, never wash your coffee cup. That brown crust makes it taste better.
    BamaT and SAXDM9 like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

I clean my guns after every shooting because that's what I was taught to do, not that it actually needs it. I just don't like a dirty gun. A simple functional check after cleaning works for me. As for the concept of fouling a cleaned barrel, I've never missed a deer, caribou, or moose because the barrel was too clean. I'm not fond of cleaning guns, don't care for the smell of Hoppes, but I get the grime out and call it a day.
    dangerranger and BamaT like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Do a function check after reassembly.
    OD* likes this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

huh?
    G-man* likes this.

I clean em after I get back from the range everytime, 100% of the time.

I normally only take whatever gun I'm carrying at the time, so it's just the one gun I have to clean. Takes only 5 or so minutes, no problemo.

Being as it's usually a revolver, I'm about 99.3% sure it's gonna go bang if it's called into action.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I think the OP's question has more to do with ensuring that the gun works than any perceived need to "foul the barrel".

And no I don't because it's simply not feasible for me.
    Guns are simple machines. If it goes "click" after pulling the trigger after cleaning, it's good to go.
    Kenny53 likes this.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

I clean them most the time after a range trip. I work the slide I pull the trigger call it good. I don't dirty the gun until the next time I go shooting. I figure we all do things our own way and that way is correct.

Senior Moderator
    I carry for defensive purposes, and I shoot competitively.

Among the serious game shooters, the guns are rarely broken down unless they show signs of so much crud built up it impedes function. By the time you have your favorite load nailed down you're pretty sensitive to how the gun runs and should know "cleaning time" is approaching. But none of the serious shooters I know will show up at an important match with a gun that's been cleaned but not fired since cleaning. Call it OCD, anal retentive or just detail-oriented, the opportunities for introducing problems expand exponentially after a teardown/reassembly cycle.

I'm not quite that intense, but ahead of a major match (like our Area 2 match coming up in 2 weeks) I'll give my gun a thorough cleaning, short of a total detain strip, and find a way to put 50+ rounds through the gun before game day.

The defensive guns are kept cleaner, primarily because I don't want extra oil weeping onto street clothes (did I mention the game guns are run "wet"?). They'll get wiped down (revos) or field stripped (autos) and have feed ramps cleaned, bores wiped if needed, and frame/slide rails re-lubed.

Having "survived" 3 Pat Rogers training courses I'm far less fastidious about gun cleanliness than I used to be. Credit also is due to current firearms design which allow for less-than-white-glove cleanliness in order for guns to run well.
    Nix, AzQkr, Rockymonster and 2 others like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    Honestly, I seldom strip my guns down, maybe a couple of times a year. But, when I do, I clean, lube, reassemble, load and place in holster.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links