Shooting firearm after cleaning before carrying again? - Page 3

Shooting firearm after cleaning before carrying again?

This is a discussion on Shooting firearm after cleaning before carrying again? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I clean after the range and either put it in service or put it in the safe. My next range session could be a month ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree120Likes

Thread: Shooting firearm after cleaning before carrying again?

I clean after the range and either put it in service or put it in the safe.
    My next range session could be a month or more depending on my work schedule. I’ll usually shoot my current carry gun and second gun but sometimes I’ll take 4 of my pistols. Whatever I take I’ll field strip and lube before going to the range. Haven’t had any failures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My ideal scenario would be a detail clean and lube followed-up by range test in +1 loading configuration and successful reload with carry magazines and carry ammo. Then we are good to go.
    Nix and gasmitty like this.
    Arkancide- Three self-inflicted gunshots to the head with hands tied behind the back.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

VIP Member
    Clean, reassemble, load, holster. No test fire required or desired.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

If I am target shooting or hunting at longer ranges, I take a fowling shot after cleaning.
    Rockymonster likes this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    I've never fouled the barrel on a pistol or rifle after cleaning it in 50 years of shooting.
    Agreed, during the ten years I was in the Corps we cleaned our weapons as soon as possible/practical after firing. The we let them be until we had a reason to fire them. Assuming you do not mess up reassembly after cleaning the gun it will work as well at it did before you cleaned it. A well maintained gun is a reliable gun/
    AzQkr and BamaT like this.
    "You don't hurt them if you don't hit them." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC Retired

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

Nix
    I just finished breaking down a S&W 686 into all it's bits and pieces. It got a deep cleaning. Even the firing pin spring got a gentle wipe down.

I'm 99% sure that I put it back together the correct way and didn't end up with any spare parts, a good sign.

A function check confirms that the revolver is working well. Very well. And, in single action, it passes my pencil firing test. (Launched a no.2 pencil a good 3 feet vertically into the air.)

Revolvers are simple, there is absolutely nothing wrong with this revolver now. I'm 99.99% sure of that.

I'm also 100% sure that I won't carry it until I've put 14 rounds through it.
    Rockymonster likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    If I am target shooting or hunting at longer ranges, I take a fowling shot after cleaning.
    Police counter sniper week long course. We cleaned the rifles after every 5-10 rounds or so.. No fouling shots were necessary to keep a newly cleaned barrel well within the 1 MOA
    Nix and Rockymonster like this.

Not really doable for me. Fire. Clean. Function test. Carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nix likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    I agree. After 300 plus rounds thru my gun this weekend, I brushed off the bolt face, snaked the bore twice, and sipped off the feed ramp, then straight to carry mode.

If you need to field strip a gun after a little shooting to make sure it will operate properly, ya need a better gun.
    Yup.....like I say in my signature.....
    G-man* and Nix like this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF

Senior Member Array KevinRohrer's Avatar
    No. As long as I put it back together correctly and the hammer drops when I tell it to, I am good.

If you are concerned about that last part, put a pencil in the barrel and drop the hammer before loading it. If the gun functions correctly, the firing pin will shoot it out.
    Rockymonster, Nix and OD* like this.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, American Legion

Distinguished Member Array CavemanBob's Avatar
    I clean my carry weapon after shooting for the same reason @aikironin21 does, I want it clean in case there's ever a question about my weapon having been fired. Other than the carry pistols, they get cleaned from time to time, it's generally not humid here so few issues with rust.
    The best citizenry is an informed citizenry

NRA Patron member

Quote Originally Posted by KevinRohrer View Post
    No. As long as I put it back together correctly and the hammer drops when I tell it to, I am good.

If you are concerned about that last part, put a pencil in the barrel and drop the hammer before loading it. If the gun functions correctly, the firing pin will shoot it out.
    Yep. My garage ceiling is full of pencils from functional checking my guns.

Name:  th (2).jpg
Views: 31
Size:  10.0 KB
    G-man*, Rockymonster, Nix and 1 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    Clean, light lubrication, function check, light oil on outside, put away. I do not fire a clean firearm just to put it away.
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

Senior Member Array entertainment72's Avatar
    I typically let my newly cleaned firearms "dry" for a day or two before I reload them. I don't bathe my guns in Hoppes and RemOil, but knowing that those types of chemicals are about the worst thing for primers I'd rather err on the side of caution and let the chemicals dry up. So I just carry a different gun until everything has been given time to "dry".

Quote Originally Posted by PPS1980 View Post
    Shoot-Field Strip-Clean-Reassemble-Carry.
    Next.
    Agree

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links