Shooting firearm after cleaning before carrying again?

This is a discussion on Shooting firearm after cleaning before carrying again? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think this has been covered before here but I couldnít find the post in the search bar, anyway when you field strip and clean ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree120Likes

Thread: Shooting firearm after cleaning before carrying again?

I think this has been covered before here but I couldnít find the post in the search bar, anyway when you field strip and clean your carry firearm do you simply load it and put it back in the holster right after cleaning or do you fire a few rounds through it then holster it?

I've never fouled the barrel on a pistol or rifle after cleaning it in 50 years of shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
    I think this has been covered before here but I couldnít find the post in the search bar, anyway when you field strip and clean your carry firearm do you simply load it and put it back in the holster right after cleaning or do you fire a few rounds through it then holster it?
    No. Should not be anything removed for a "field strip" that could go back together wrong if that was the reason for your question? A full detail dismantle might be another story though.
    PPS1980, AndyC, sdprof and 2 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member
    Shoot-Field Strip-Clean-Reassemble-Carry.
    Next.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

AndyC, some people follow that procedure with hunting rifles. But I am with AzQkr, I've never done that with any hunting or self-defense rifle, or pistol.
    Force yourself to be uncomfortable.

VIP Member
    Guns that you plan to go to war with should be kept in good condtion. There are carry guns that can be neglected for 1000's of rounds and still work no problem. I would not want to be the test case. But I would have no problem trusting my life to some of the guns I carry if they have been 500 rounds and not cleaned. However, even if they haven't been shot if I've carried them for a few weeks I will will clean them as soon as I can remember to. Cleaning is also about inspecting when I clean I look for drifted sights, I look for rust, I look for anything out of the ordinary.
    ShooterGranny, OneGunTX and BamaT like this.

I carry as clean a pistol as possible. Call it paranoia, OCD, or irrational, even with my duty pistol, I insist on carrying a clean pistol. The irrational reasoning, because I don't want to be carrying a dirty pistol, in the event it's questioned if I have erroneously discharged my weapon.
    Hypothetical:
    I am off duty, there is a "report of shots fired", and my vehicle "matches the description" of a vehicle seen leaving the scene, or maybe I was seen leaving the area, by coincidence.
    Could be a situation where by inspection of my pistol, that it has, obviously, not been recently fired, or even if taken into evidence, forensics wise, it could not have been the weapon fired.
    On the other hand, carrying a "fouled" barrel, it's not immediately evident, that my pistol wasn't the one that just discharged.
    Sure, won't guarantee I wouldn't be further detained, and or arrested for further investigation, but I like having a clean pistol, literally, on my side to support my claim I didn't just discharge my pistol, should it ever be a question, which I'm sure it'll likely never be an issue.
    I understand fouling for consistency in target shooting for long range rifle groups, but for "combat accurate" shot placement at self defense ranges, with a pistol, I don't see the value of it. Just like the argument over a DA pull on a DA/SA pistol, the "miss" , if you're training regularly and effectively, will still be on the threat, and we're not trying to shoot a "one hole" group. Preferably, you would want your self defense group, to have a spread to it, to affect more organs, more blood vessels, to achieve a stop of a threat. The more holes, the better, til whatever threat you're facing, has been stopped. One shot, one hole, likely, won't achieve that.
    I would rather have physical, forensic, evidence, I didn't shoot, if hadn't, than the insignificant amount of consistency to bore diameter, and internal ballistics, that fouling would produce.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    sdprof, forester58, BamaT and 1 others like this.

VIP Member
    A lot of people here advocate cleaning their weapon every time they shoot it. Your idea seems like it would create a never ending loop.

In my case, it's clean, function check, then back in the holster.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Do you clean your gun at the range? I do a function check on my guns after disassembly, but never felt the need to shoot them unless Iím replacing parts.
    We get the government we deserve.

VIP Member
    I'm not going to dirty up my gun after cleaning it just because. I don't enjoy cleaning guns all that much.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

Mine are cleaned at home, so test firing in my neighborhood would cause the local PD to visit.
    Better put on a pot of coffee.

Fire , clean, holster.
    Sometimes itís clean after extended carry without firing and reholster.
    Kenny53 likes this.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

I think the OP's question has more to do with ensuring that the gun works than any perceived need to "foul the barrel".

And no I don't because it's simply not feasible for me.

Nope, never fouled a barrel after cleaning, there is no need in it. For SD situations, usually at very close distances, accuracy will not be that far off. Now if you are doing some very precision target shooting, then a few fouling rounds would be in order. On my .22 I use for squirrels, I may pop a round off to confirm zero, cause some .22 ammo act differently on a fresh cleaned barrel. I mostly shoot CCI Quiets and they tend to have about a 1 inch POI shift on a clean barrel. May not be the ammo, could be the barrel, so I do a few fouling rounds to get the POI back. Both my semi-auto pistols have never had a POI change on a clean barrel, nor has my AR, if it has, it was very minimal.

For a regular semi-auto pistol there isnít much that needs to be taken apart to do a regular cleaning. Most just have a barrel, side, frame, and spring. Yank it apart, wipe it out, lube, put back together. As for a revolver, nothing needs to come apart. Clean the cylinders and barrel, forcing cone, under the star, breech face, small amount of lube, and youíre done.

Even when I have done a full strip on something like a Glock or any of my rifles, I trust it works once itís back together. Simple machines.
    Kenny53 likes this.

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    I donít fire after cleaning.
    I clean after each range session.
    I must be weird cause I enjoy the process and the smell of Hopes 9
    Nix, Kilowatt3, mmb617 and 1 others like this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links