Concealed Carry Mistake! - Page 5

Concealed Carry Mistake!

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry Mistake! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by AzQkr Because you can't seem to safely handle a striker fired pistol? Don't trust yourself not having an ND with a striker ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Like Tree157Likes

Thread: Concealed Carry Mistake!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Because you can't seem to safely handle a striker fired pistol? Don't trust yourself not having an ND with a striker fired pistol?
    LOL NO, I carried a Glock 19 for about 15 years. I like to add that extra layer of safety. Conealed carry holsters are not the same as LE holsters. You don't have a big bucket to dump a gun into, the holster is typically tight to the body and requires paying more attention. The added benefit of having a hammer allows you a tactile feel to see if something is wrong. You may have reholster a glock 200,0000 times, but on the 200,001 time something may happen.

Why a traditional Double Action vs Striker Ernest Langdon.

VIP Member
    While we’re “speculating “ on the cause....I have another viable explanation.....

...botched suicide attempt.....just as likely at this point....
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF

Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    I think striker fired guns do pose a greater chance of negligent discharge; because of the fire control system.

The problem is, that striker fired guns and 1911’s are best suited for professionals, or those who receive professional training.

And, the issues arise when those who don’t, buy one and try to use it without understanding the precautions that must be adhered to at all times.

A greenhorn attempting to reholster a revolver, has a lot more leeway than one who is reholstering a Glock if something is against the trigger.
    IMO, most people can be trained relatively quickly to be proficiently safe in handling and holstering a DA revolver. on the other extreme, the amount of training required to safely handle and holster a 1911 with the safety disengaged and the grip safety taped down is significantly higher, but it can be done, it's just a matter of extreme discipline and attention being critical. Strikers are somewhere in between.
    G-man*, msgt/ret, AzQkr and 1 others like this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Ahh, yes, tact. One of my strong suits.
    Good one Mike!
    Mike1956 likes this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    It will be a striker...betcha.
    I have a striker, but it's a Walther P99. The first shot is DA unless you intentionally cock it to SA. My other guns are HK P30ls and Sig P30, both DA/SA.
    WebleyHunter likes this.
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    If striker-fireds are so dangerous, shouldn't there be a drive underway to ban them?
    If one out of every five million liberals knew what striker-fired meant, there would be.
    Mike1956, msgt/ret and mmb617 like this.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    LOL NO, I carried a Glock 19 for about 15 years. I like to add that extra layer of safety. Conealed carry holsters are not the same as LE holsters. You don't have a big bucket to dump a gun into, the holster is typically tight to the body and requires paying more attention. The added benefit of having a hammer allows you a tactile feel to see if something is wrong. You may have reholster a glock 200,0000 times, but on the 200,001 time something may happen.

Why a traditional Double Action vs Striker Ernest Langdon.

Same can be said of revos, plenty of holes from the 60's and 70's in police stations proving the point.

In my opinion, a striker fired gun with no manual safety is easier to negligent discharge than a DAO with no manual safety , no matter who you are or who you think you are. Again, this is just my opinion.
    Grizzly2, G-man* and graydude like this.

My carry weapon is a "traditional double-action" semi-automatic. That is, it's double-action/single-action (DA/SA). I carry with one in the pipe, hammer down, safety off. In fact, with the hammer down, the safety can only be in the off position. The only time you can engage the safety is when the hammer is fully fully cocked. I would only do so after shots fired when I need to re-holster my weapon before manually lowering the hammer, as it doesn't not have a decocking lever.

My Level II retention holster helps keep the firearm secure in the holster. The holster guards the trigger area completely. The firing pin block prevents a negligent discharge that could otherwise be caused by a blow to the hammer.

In public, I will never draw unless I intended to fire to stop a threat. It's a gun, not a stop sign.

I don't know about the mall DASH (dumb-ass shot himself). Perhaps he failed to read the manual.
    Would you enjoy spending significant amounts of conducting research and conveying carefully worded discourse when others trample it under their feet, even to the point of deleting entire threads? Of course not. Me either. Matthew 7:6

One possibility no one mentioned: mexican carry.

On the other hand, if they guy was carrying mexican on his shoulders, it would have been mentioned by reporter.
    M1911A1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rlggray View Post
    In my opinion, a striker fired gun with no manual safety is easier to negligent discharge than a DAO with no manual safety , no matter who you are or who you think you are. Again, this is just my opinion.
    Agreed. Gun guys always want to blame the person and never the gun but the fact is that there are some platforms that are inherently safer than others. You can argue that the person didn't have the required skills, practice, training or whatever to manage the platform correctly and that may be so but it doesn't change the fact that some designs are simply safer than others.

Found a link to the gun in question.

https://overwatchprecision.com/blog/...-weird-trick-/

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Sponsored Links