Do you mark yourself as a concealed carrier? - Page 3

Do you mark yourself as a concealed carrier?

This is a discussion on Do you mark yourself as a concealed carrier? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Trying to stay within the OPs questions, I offer these thoughts with some embellishment. In a situation as decribed by the OP I am not ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree239Likes

Thread: Do you mark yourself as a concealed carrier?

Distinguished Member
    Trying to stay within the OPs questions, I offer these thoughts with some embellishment. In a situation as decribed by the OP I am not looking to see who might be carrying a gun. Anyone that is is more likely to be carrying for the same reason I do. If I were to detect a gun, my option would be to keep an eye on that person or maintain overall situational awareness. Focusing on individuals only reduces concentration on the act of observing behavior, which is the real tell tale sign of potential danger.

In a crowded scene I look for the deviation from the norm. I see groups of people chatting. Groups do not concern me as much as individuals who are alone. I observe them to see their behavior. Are they looking around? Might that person have a gun? What are they watching? where are they positioned in relationship to the room layout.

I do not telegraph my observation by moving my head to look around. I sweep with try eyes only. Then I shift my body to observe another sector. I do that because I was trained to do that. I always want my head straight because that is where it has to be to shoot fast and accurately. To observe another sector I pivot at the feet and them sweep with my eyes again. That way if I see danger happening I do not have to reposition my body after seeing it. Consider that if your head is turned 30 degrees to the side and you have to acquire a target you will have to turn your body then. Might as well turn the body before the sweep.
    "You don't hurt them if you don't hit them." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC Retired

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    Trying to stay within the OPs questions, I offer these thoughts with some embellishment. In a situation as decribed by the OP I am not looking to see who might be carrying a gun. Anyone that is is more likely to be carrying for the same reason I do. If I were to detect a gun, my option would be to keep an eye on that person or maintain overall situational awareness. Focusing on individuals only reduces concentration on the act of observing behavior, which is the real tell tale sign of potential danger.
    Same here, but in this case, I was guessing this person was carrying based on the situation I was alerted to.

In a crowded scene I look for the deviation from the norm. I see groups of people chatting. Groups do not concern me as much as individuals who are alone. I observe them to see their behavior. Are they looking around? Might that person have a gun? What are they watching? where are they positioned in relationship to the room layout.
    Bingo. The rooms were full of people within the same group, but this person was always alone with exception of the one time he spoke directly to the person I was told to watch, back always to the wall. Stood out like a sore thumb, and it raised my awareness.
    1942bull and 1gunsnowbird like this.
    May you be in Heaven before the Devil knows you're dead

Personally I don't spend much time trying to profile who might be carrying a gun concealed unless I'm bored. I do spend time looking for furtive or aggressive behavior and/or body language. Both indicate a possible immediate threat with, or without, a concealed gun/knife/fists/feet/group disparity of force/whatever weapon.
    deadguy and 1gunsnowbird like this.
    Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. ~J.C. Watts

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array kukla's Avatar
    situational awareness is a must.
    obvious visible situational awareness on display - not so much.
    to me, that's a more obvious sign that someone is carrying than a slight bulge or wardrobe adjustment.
    unusual behavior is what I tend to notice most.
    Last edited by kukla; October 21st, 2019 at 03:43 PM.
    deadguy and 1gunsnowbird like this.
    "I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"

I watch hands, that's where the threat will originate from.

Distinguished Member Array Militant's Avatar
    Naw! I don't "mark" myself as a concealed carrier bro!

You ONLY recognized that because YOU are a carrier. Others there that carry thought nothing of that guy's behaviour. They were too busy looking into their screened devices.
    HK USP Compact .45 stainless HK USP Compact .40 stainless HK USP Compact .45
    HK USP Compact 9mm HK 45c HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    I watch hands, that's where the threat will originate from.
    Criminals nearly always carry Mexican, and Mexican carry almost always involves hands fidgeting along the belt line.
    AzQkr, deadguy, OD* and 4 others like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Distinguished Member Array kukla's Avatar
    Keep an eye on the people with face or neck tats!
    "I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    Basically asking if you as a carrier are aware of how you carry yourself, and if you exhibit behaviors that you see in others who are suspected of carrying.
    I think you are probably observant and good at reading people. What you probably project to others is an image of someone who is aware...alert. Whether or not that translates to being armed will be in the mind of the beholder.
    deadguy, AzQkr, Wavygravy and 1 others like this.

Well, now I understand one reason why someone would wear a shirt that’s two sizes too big and hangs a foot below their waist.
    Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none. ~Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothJazz View Post
    Well, now I understand one reason why someone would wear a shirt that’s two sizes too big and hangs a foot below their waist.
    And constantly tugs at the bottom hem as he demonstrates his concealed carry acumen on a Youtube video.
    Struckat and SmoothJazz like this.

I was looking through a crowd & pick out this woman who was carrying two 38's, I kept a eye on her til my wife hit me..
    On a serious note, I can give a rats butt if I'm made marked or whatever, I'm carrying legal ; )
    H/D
    AzQkr, Struckat and 1gunsnowbird like this.
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I think you are probably observant and good at reading people. What you probably project to others is an image of someone who is aware...alert. Whether or not that translates to being armed will be in the mind of the beholder.
    Bingo!!!!!!, I project an image of someone aware of their surroundings, whether I'm armed or not. Being armed doesn't make me more or less observant. I watch hands, demeanor, if either and particularly both raise flags, then and only then do I look for what weapons they may be carrying or could be carrying based on their present attire.

Barring something that catches my attention, I've never consciously tried to find people carrying firearms.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Bingo!!!!!!, I project an image of someone aware of their surroundings, whether I'm armed or not. Being armed doesn't make me more or less observant. I watch hands, demeanor, if either and particularly both raise flags, then and only then do I look for what weapons they may be carrying or could be carrying based on their present attire.

Barring something that catches my attention, I've never consciously tried to find people carrying firearms.
    That's true of almost everyone, I suspect.
    AzQkr, deadguy and 1gunsnowbird like this.

I cover this topic in “ the basics” portion of class. I feel it’s very important to understand the proper selection of belt/holster combo, and learn how to dress and act so that you do not give anything away to a discerning eye.

I firmly believe in a difference between amateur hour and professional knowledge, and, how to put it all together in a way that works for your style of dress and activity.
    And I encourage people to watch for others who may be concealing; not with suspicious intent, but to learn from their mistakes so that they can make corrections for themselves.

Our own habits and methods can also clue others who are well versed in concealment.

For example, I leave the last button at the bottom of my shirt unbuttoned to help facilitate removing the piece from a draw. Others may do this also, and key in on it if they are trying to be observant.

I don’t think that most people would look for a CC’er, but it should never be taken for granted.
    Mike1956, deadguy, flh and 5 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Sponsored Links