Do you mark yourself as a concealed carrier? - Page 4

Do you mark yourself as a concealed carrier?

This is a discussion on Do you mark yourself as a concealed carrier? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by G-man* I cover this topic in “ the basics” portion of class. I feel it’s very important to understand the proper selection ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree239Likes

Thread: Do you mark yourself as a concealed carrier?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    I cover this topic in “ the basics” portion of class. I feel it’s very important to understand the proper selection of belt/holster combo, and learn how to dress and act so that you do not give anything away to a discerning eye.

I firmly believe in a difference between amateur hour and professional knowledge, and, how to put it all together in a way that works for your style of dress and activity.
    And I encourage people to watch for others who may be concealing; not with suspicious intent, but to learn from their mistakes so that they can make corrections for themselves.

Our own habits and methods can also clue others who are well versed in concealment.

For example, I leave the last button at the bottom of my shirt unbuttoned to help facilitate removing the piece from a draw. Others may do this also, and key in on it if they are trying to be observant.

I don’t think that most people would look for a CC’er, but it should never be taken for granted.
    Great. Now i will be looking at bottom buttons...
    flh, G-man*, forester58 and 1 others like this.
    May you be in Heaven before the Devil knows you're dead

I think my carry methods are covert enough not to be apparent to most casual observers. My SA is up in some situations, not all. I still do not consciously look for CCers. Not many open carriers in these parts so they do attract my attention. Most are LEOs. I really don't feel the need to try and identify those who do choose to CC. Thanks for your post deadguy. gave us food for thought.
    deadguy and 1gunsnowbird like this.

Has this been said?:

The real flaw in weapon concealment is your own discomfort and lack of confidence.
    Someone who is new to concealed carry will frequently check to make sure that "everything's OK."
    It's that checking which gives him (or her) away.

I've been carrying a concealed weapon for so long that I am completely comfortable and unconcerned.
    I've done squat-down work on public street corners, had local police come by and stop to chat, and have the confidence to know that they see nothing.
    But that takes experience. "Time in grade," as it were.

People standing behind me in a line might see a slight bulge at my side. (I carry OWB now.)
    But none of them will know what the bulge is, and there is no reason to ask.
    I can stand with both hands in my pants pockets and my vest or jacket pushed back, but still I know that my pistol is completely covered.

All it takes is experience.
    G-man*, wmhawth, msgt/ret and 4 others like this.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Do you mark yourself as a concealed carrier?

I don't think so.

I've been carrying for a dozen years now and never once had anyone behave as though they were on to me. Even the wife was surprised a few months back when I pulled the snub out of my pocket to put it away when we got home.

"You're still carrying that thing? I thought you stopped a few years ago."
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

In over five years that we have been allowed to purchase our right to carry, I have never seen anyone that I could say was carrying. Pretty sure no one has seen me as such.

I also really don’t get out much.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    I constantly exhibit the usual tugging, adjusting, touching, etc. and I've been carrying for 50 years. My attitude is WGAS if someone suspects I'm carrying.
    What does the West Gloucestershire Art Society have to do with carrying??
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

After scanning folks and the egress paths in a room I’ve entered, I usually sit or stand with my back to a wall and facing entrance(s). I note if peeps entering have a striker-fired weapon in their hands. I’m ready to move myself and Mrs Sax so we’re nowhere near that dude’s leg.

Member IDPA & GSSF
    Preserve Our Rights

Senior Member Array KevinRohrer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    Basically asking if you as a carrier are aware of how you carry yourself, and if you exhibit behaviors that you see in others who are suspected of carrying.
    No, and any further comment I might make would get me in trouble with the Thought Police.
    M1911A1 likes this.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, American Legion

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    Great. Now i will be looking at bottom buttons...
    My normal warm weather cover garment is a short sleeved shirt and yes the bottom button in undone as well.
    deadguy and Chaplain Scott like this.

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    You'll never see me coming.
    PEF likes this.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

VIP Member
    Well I don't have my face buried in my phone in public.

When I'm at the gas station I look around a bit.

Most of the time I'm wearing an untucked shirt.

But if I'm looking for a #9 hinge screw at Home Depot or Ace...that's where my attention is.

I live in the 'burbs of the US of A. Not some third world abyss where I'm likely to get kidnapped or executed by religious zealots.

So I'm not eyeballing everyone like they are a potential murderous psychopath ready to spring and that will only go down after a perfectly executed Mozambique.

I think I'd have to be a bit batty to be "on" like that all the time. Or a complete meth head.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    Maybe because of situational awareness, some people have assumed that I'm carrying even when I wasn't.
    Also, embarrassingly, people have thought I was a veteran, even real veterans. I have never served in the military.
    Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your service.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I worked many years in some really bad areas and I happen to agree and have said for decades that they live by a code, it’s a messed up code but a code it is.
    deadguy likes this.

Senior Member Array 1gunsnowbird's Avatar
    OP - Excellent, thought-provoking thread. Thanks for starting it.

I've been CC-ing since 1988 (jeez, that's 30 years now: how time flies). Before I retired I lived 'up north' and had no problems concealing my Glock 27 in a Galco Ultimate Second Amendment AIWB. The only 'tell' was after I'd been sitting down a long time and stood up suddenly. That damn rig often pressed so hard on my femoral artery that my right leg would go numb (after the initial pain subsided). :-)

Maybe that's the main reason I've slowly been working towards smaller and smaller handguns … finally arriving at a Sig P365, which I can wear comfortably AIWB or at 3:30 and even in a pocket if the pants/shorts are right for it. My only clothing adjustment is when I take the gun from between the driver's seat and center console and tuck it away before exiting the vehicle to go someplace on foot. I always check for big trucks/vans to my right side of the vehicle before I gear up. (I also check second story windows to make certain I won't get made while I'm gearing up.)

Once that little bit of clothing adjustment is made, I pretty much forget that I've got the gun on me and rarely do I scan for others who might be CC-ing. I've had the discussion (on this forum?) about being made and the consensus of opinion was, A) I've got a CC permit in both states where I spend most of my time, so why worry?, and B) 99% of the citizenry isn't looking and could care less if I've got a gun on my person. With that mindset, I act like most of you and just stay alert for aberrations of behavior.

To be honest, oftentimes I feel kinda stupid carrying a gun when so many other people around me are blissfully enjoying their activities … moms, dads, kids, grandkids, fat people, tattooed people and skinny people (although there are getting to be less and less of these types in America). Anyway, I've worked through that period of uncertainty and am now content to know I have the means to possibly end a violent encounter.

Like others have said here, once you grow comfortable with the entire CONCEPT of carrying a loaded weapon, it gradually becomes a non-issue and I expect (hope?) it's the same way other concealed carriers around me feel as well. The incidents that have gotten lots of press in recent years seem to mostly involve unhinged people with tactical long guns, and they should be relatively easy to spot a long ways away, especially after the shooting starts. At that point I'm looking for cover, drawing my weapon and looking for a COM opening to place rounds...
    AzQkr, deadguy and M1911A1 like this.
    Gumfighter - Big bubbles, no troubles. Hubba Bubba bubble gum

Nice

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Sponsored Links