Do you mark yourself as a concealed carrier? - Page 6

Do you mark yourself as a concealed carrier?

This is a discussion on Do you mark yourself as a concealed carrier? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by deadguy Interesting article that somewhat goes along with topic. https://www.thegazette.com/subject/o...sWLQCE3LFOaD9w That is interesting....

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree239Likes

Thread: Do you mark yourself as a concealed carrier?

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    Interesting article that somewhat goes along with topic.

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/o...sWLQCE3LFOaD9w
    That is interesting.
    deadguy likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

"I realize most people don't pay attention to others like I do,"

Yes they do, it's called people watching.

I pocket carry and as I was walking away from a fast food place in a bad section of town a couple of months ago, I spotted another pocket carrier walking in. We nodded as we passed, so he spotted me too. Neither of us were printing.
    deadguy and M1911A1 like this.

VIP Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar

Nice article...good find!!
    deadguy and tns0038 like this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Excellent article.
    deadguy likes this.

Distinguished Member
    About what?
    You wrote "Ha. If only it were that simple. "

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StevePVB View Post
    You wrote "Ha. If only it were that simple. "
    I wasn't in a situation I could just walk away from. I was in charge of it.
    May you be in Heaven before the Devil knows you're dead

I agree good column.

AS to your question.. You are basically referring to situational awareness. When you enter a room/restaurant/etc. those citizens who look up at you, as you enter, are somewhat demonstrating they are aware of their surroundings.

AS to keeping it concealed, and not printing, or giving a sign you are armed. That takes practice and an education on concealment. It also take time to become accustom to the weight, of the sidearm.

Example" Some Federal Agency's have cadets wear a plastic sidearm that weighs the same in a real holster for the whole time they are in training. After six months of carrying a 2 lb side arm at 4 o'clock, you get use to the weight, and no long give tell tail signs it is there.

Those same Federal Agency's teach cadets to become situational aware.
    deadguy likes this.

Interesting indeed.
    Did anyone read the article linked there, “Why your gun makes me nervous” ? Also good..from another point of view.
    deadguy likes this.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

A few days ago, I was among a mixed crowd of folks in a controlled setting. There were warnings that trouble could pop up, so I sort of knew who to watch. Now I must admit I am a people watcher, and I often scan rooms to "study" those around me. I don't do it to pick out any certain type of person. It's just a habit for me. Makes crowds more interesting. Anyway, as I was taking in this particular group of about 200 people, I noticed a person talking to the person I was warned about. Right off the bat I had a gut feeling this person was carrying, so I decided to study him, if you will. Not as a threat, but in this case, out of caution.
    You already know who to watch? You were warned? A warning of "trouble"? You use terms such as “paranoid”, “hard”, “nervous”. These are all biased conditions which you have not reconciled. The superficial nuances you have highlighted do not make him an armed person and they certainly do not lend themselves to any particular mode of carry. Given his dress, it could be [any] mode of carry. As a default, I consider all people to be armed until I have determined otherwise. That said, you have identified nothing which indicates much more than a reserved but wary personality. You may certainly be correct about his armed status but if you are, you are correct by accident. These behaviors you identified would likely exist in this person (as well as many others) no matter if they are armed or not. I concede that there are plenty of potential indicators relating to body language and general behavior which can be indicative of an armed status but you have mentioned none.

This fellow is probably on a forum somewhere talking about how he was being constantly watched by some stranger while he was on his way to see a sick relative.

If you start looking for armed people, you will undoubtedly start finding what you believe to be armed people behind every blade of grass. It’s the same condition which plagues many rookies who mistakenly begin to see a drug deal on every street corner.

If you want to be a people watcher.. go ahead, there is nothing wrong with it but it will likely put you squarely on the radar of trained or alert people. General awareness and people watching are two totally different forms of observation. I don't people-watch, I simply pay attention to conditions and circumstances which are ongoing to developing around me. People watching can easily be misconstrued as being associated with a predatory behavior.

I salute your willingness to be observant, no mistake about that
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    Is your question about printing or is it about you, the way you scan the crowd, does the way you observe people make you stand out in a crowd?
    Obviously I wasn't very clear in my long explanation of the day's events and what led to this post.

In summary, my question is not about printing, tugging, adjusting, pulling, touching, or other signs related to the actual weapon being carried and where it is. It is primarily focused on how we carry ourselves in other ways, specifically how we scan the areas we are in. Head on a swivel, shifting eyes, "don't mess with me" look, etc. These are the actions I took note of in the other person, and was vindicated in my initial thoughts when the weapon was exposed. The entire situation made me think about whether or not I exhibit those same types of signs when I am in a room full of people.

The question is being asked to see if anyone here has ever considered that they themselves may be seen by others as a concealed carrier because of their neck-up actions, and not by the bulge underneath their clothing.

I don't think having good situational awareness marks you as a concealed carrier. Now if you make it obvious, well then you just look nervous, and that makes you look like someone who is up to no good.

I practice good situational awareness, but nobody in the room with me knows that I do.
    Fizban, deadguy and M1911A1 like this.

Do I mark myself as a concealed carrier.. yep.

I make very little effort to conceal my handgun. I often wear a compression tee over my gun and a looser fitting tee over that. The first t-shirt masks the tell-tale shape of my gun while the second shirt helps further. Still, there is a noticeable bulge under my customary black t-shirt. I am a quiet and unassuming person who minds my own business. I am sure that anyone looking for armed people would undoubtedly suspect I am armed. Generally speaking, people pay me no mind and likely forget me 10 seconds after I have gone. I have come to realize that most people do not pay any attention to things outside their personal and immediate focus of attention. As long as their FOCUS is not intently on me, they seem to be none the wiser to my armed status. I put more effort in appearing non-descript than I do hiding my gun. My typical "retired-guy" uniform consists of a black compression shirt under a loose under-armor tee, khaki pants and black wolverine floorhand oxfords (steel toe).
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Pro
    I never leave the house without my CCW sash and badge.

Name:  tumblr_nukg73EoCp1s2fmvmo1_500.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  74.1 KB
    M1911A1, OD*, deadguy and 1 others like this.
    Minimum government, maximum freedom.

NRA - Member
    GOAL - Member
    Comm2A - Member

It's a mute point. When I'm around everyone is vibrating to a variation of Jan Hammer's Crockett's Theme anyway so . . .
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

flh
    Undercover
    Attached Images  
    Doghandler, OD* and 1gunsnowbird like this.

Go Pack Go

Still waiting for the glorious "back off Ya varmint" Yosemite Sam gold badge.
    1gunsnowbird likes this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Sponsored Links