Do you mark yourself as a concealed carrier?

This is a discussion on Do you mark yourself as a concealed carrier? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This question isn't about printing, OC, accidental gun exposure, or any other obvious sign of concealed carry. It's more about the subtle clues that can ...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree239Likes

Thread: Do you mark yourself as a concealed carrier?

VIP Member

This question isn't about printing, OC, accidental gun exposure, or any other obvious sign of concealed carry. It's more about the subtle clues that can be picked up on. I'll explain.

A few days ago, I was among a mixed crowd of folks in a controlled setting. There were warnings that trouble could pop up, so I sort of knew who to watch. Now I must admit I am a people watcher, and I often scan rooms to "study" those around me. I don't do it to pick out any certain type of person. It's just a habit for me. Makes crowds more interesting. Anyway, as I was taking in this particular group of about 200 people, I noticed a person talking to the person I was warned about. Right off the bat I had a gut feeling this person was carrying, so I decided to study him, if you will. Not as a threat, but in this case, out of caution.

There was no bulge, no printing, etc. This person's attire allowed pretty much anything to be concealed very well. I watched the eyes, the head movements, the body language, and just overall demeanor. Never held eye contact, head constantly moving, looking almost nervous or paranoid but with a calm, cool, and "hard" expression. Never smiled. Barely spoke. Later in the day, my initial evaluation was confirmed, as the top garment exposed this person as an OWB carrier. This brings me to the original question.

Do I mark myself by the way I, too, scan the areas around me? Should I use my eyes more than my head, basically being a bit more subtle in my situational awareness? As concealed carriers, we all practice SA, or at least I hope everyone does, and I feel it's something we should do constantly.

I realize most people don't pay attention to others like I do, but I have come to realize there will most likely be someone in your area doing what I do, and it may be you that is that person, as well as someone else watching you.

I'll also mention that due to the dynamic of this crowd of people, I had already assumed half of them were carrying. This one person just seemed to make it more obvious to me.
    OD*, Struckat, ButtShot14 and 3 others like this.
    May you be in Heaven before the Devil knows you're dead

"Do you mark yourself as a concealed carrier?" What is the question, exactly? You don't describe the whys of this scenario, so it is hard to get a picture of it.
    Last edited by OD*; October 21st, 2019 at 12:38 PM.
    Bad Bob likes this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

MemberJoin DateNov 2016

I believe that the greatest common denominator among people who are "switchedon" is the fact that they are "Switched*on" when most people aren't.

If the bad guys are experienced in looking for inattentive victims theywould tend to notice people who don't meet that criteria.*

Similarly, the police make a habit of scanning the crowd as well and I'm sure they notice other people they're doing the same thing.*

I pay attention. that's why I can pick out people who concealed carrying and my friends don't notice people who are open carrying.*

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    "Do you "mark" yourself as a concealed carrier?" What is the question, exactly? You don't describe the whys of this scenario, so it is hard to get a picture of it.
    Basically asking if you as a carrier are aware of how you carry yourself, and if you exhibit behaviors that you see in others who are suspected of carrying.
    BigJon10125 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    Basically asking if you as a carrier are aware of how you carry yourself, and if you exhibit behaviors that you see in others who are suspected of carrying.
    I'm confident, so I assume I carry myself in a confident manner, which is what one should do to be less of a target. I tend to naturally notice things others often don't, but I don't really think about it or do it consciously, it just happens. I think my military experience has something to do with that. I do intentionally scan the area around me when I'm in a "more than low threat" situation, like a parking lot or a convenience store.

I don't pay attention to other gun carriers or try to spot "suspected" gun carriers. I figure that they are law abiding citizens like me. I would not want to start a problem by staring. Also, I figure bad guys don't carry like honest concealed carriers. They probably don't have holsters or carry in the same way CC'ers do.

I'm more concerned with someone who is eyeing me or moving close to me in a way that does not seem natural. I look for behaviors that are out of place. Sometimes, I will change the direction I am walking just to see if that changes a suspect's direction. If I suspect someone, I will let them know with a look I am aware of them, without glaring at them. I hope that answers your question.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    I'm confident, so I assume I carry myself in a confident manner, which is what one should do to be less of a target. I tend to naturally notice things others often don't, but I don't really think about it or do it consciously, it just happens. I think my military experience has something to do with that. I do intentionally scan the area around me when I'm in a "more than low threat" situation, like a parking lot or a convenience store.

I don't pay attention to other gun carriers or try to spot "suspected" gun carriers. I figure that they are law abiding citizens like me. I would not want to start a problem by staring. Also, I figure bad guys don't carry like honest concealed carriers. They probably don't have holsters or carry in the same way CC'ers do.

I'm more concerned with someone who is eyeing me or moving close to me in a way that does not seem natural. I look for behaviors that are out of place. Sometimes, I will change the direction I am walking just to see if that changes a suspect's direction. If I suspect someone, I will let them know with a look I am aware of them, without glaring at them. I hope that answers your question.
    Yes it does.

I, too, assume folks carrying are doing so legally. As a carrier, I try to be as inconspicuous as possible. I refrain from touching the gun, adjusting the gun, belt, pants, jacket, shirt, etc. However, in the case i was referring to, it was more about seeing the movements of the other person from the neck up, and causing me to think about how I personally may identify myself as a carrier to another trained eye.

Keep in mind, most times we will never know if we were right in our assessment of the other person. In my case, before the day was over, this person's weapon was in full view. Had that not happened, I would not have questioned my own actions.
    OD* and 1gunsnowbird like this.

I avoid printing, dress for concealment (loose fit, plaid, print, pattern).

In before the "nobody ever notices or says anything" comment regarding printing or OC. It implies nothing, neither oblivion or acceptance.
    I've seen people printing and open carrying and never said anything, so oblivion (fallacy that nobody notices) is not always correct.
    Silence doesn't equal oblivion either. "Hey man, you are printing" - could easily generate negative (undesirable) response. "Colostomy bag, jerk". No thanks.
    Mike1956, Cypher, OD* and 4 others like this.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    This question isn't about printing, OC, accidental gun exposure, or any other obvious sign of concealed carry. It's more about the subtle clues that can be picked up on. I'll explain.

A few days ago, I was among a mixed crowd of folks in a controlled setting. There were warnings that trouble could pop up, so I sort of knew who to watch. Now I must admit I am a people watcher, and I often scan rooms to "study" those around me. I don't do it to pick out any certain type of person. It's just a habit for me. Makes crowds more interesting. Anyway, as I was taking in this particular group of about 200 people, I noticed a person talking to the person I was warned about. Right off the bat I had a gut feeling this person was carrying, so I decided to study him, if you will. Not as a threat, but in this case, out of caution.

There was no bulge, no printing, etc. This person's attire allowed pretty much anything to be concealed very well. I watched the eyes, the head movements, the body language, and just overall demeanor. Never held eye contact, head constantly moving, looking almost nervous or paranoid but with a calm, cool, and "hard" expression. Never smiled. Barely spoke. Later in the day, my initial evaluation was confirmed, as the top garment exposed this person as an OWB carrier. This brings me to the original question.

Do I mark myself by the way I, too, scan the areas around me? Should I use my eyes more than my head, basically being a bit more subtle in my situational awareness? As concealed carriers, we all practice SA, or at least I hope everyone does, and I feel it's something we should do constantly.

I realize most people don't pay attention to others like I do, but I have come to realize there will most likely be someone in your area doing what I do, and it may be you that is that person, as well as someone else watching you.

I'll also mention that due to the dynamic of this crowd of people, I had already assumed half of them were carrying. This one person just seemed to make it more obvious to me.
    Sounds like maybe he hasn't been carrying very long.
    OldChap, OD*, Rick McC. and 2 others like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Iíve always got a Phone, Flashlight, Pepper spray, and a Multi-tool on my belt. I wear my shirts out. People have asked so I show or tell them. But, they never see the 38 thatís AIWB. Thatís usually people that know me and know Iím into guns. No strangers have ever said anything. 🤷*♂️
    Two Revolvers, Two Reloads, every day, all day.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Sounds like maybe he hasn't been carrying very long.
    It's possible, but one will never know. This person did not exhibit the usual tugging, adjusting, touching, etc. It was simply the head and eye motion, and expressions. These are actions we rarely think about with ourselves (at least in my case, until now), focusing mainly on not printing, tugging, adjusting...the obvious signs of concealed carry.

I almost sat down and asked what the weapon of choice was once it was exposed. The rear slide serrations were foreign to me, and was some type of polymer, carried in a kydex rig. Back to your point, Mike, he may not have been carrying very long because the holster seemed a bit loose and the gun did not fit the holster very well. The bottom edge of the jacket moved the gun inside the holster when making contact.
    OD* likes this.

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Is your question about printing or is it about you, the way you scan the crowd, does the way you observe people make you stand out in a crowd?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    Is your question about printing or is it about you, the way you scan the crowd, does the way you observe people make you stand out in a crowd?
    Obviously I wasn't very clear in my long explanation of the day's events and what led to this post.

In summary, my question is not about printing, tugging, adjusting, pulling, touching, or other signs related to the actual weapon being carried and where it is. It is primarily focused on how we carry ourselves in other ways, specifically how we scan the areas we are in. Head on a swivel, shifting eyes, "don't mess with me" look, etc. These are the actions I took note of in the other person, and was vindicated in my initial thoughts when the weapon was exposed. The entire situation made me think about whether or not I exhibit those same types of signs when I am in a room full of people.

The question is being asked to see if anyone here has ever considered that they themselves may be seen by others as a concealed carrier because of their neck-up actions, and not by the bulge underneath their clothing.
    OD* and 1gunsnowbird like this.

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    I suppose if someone know what to look for, trained in profiling they will spot you.
    I don't think the average joe would
    deadguy and 1gunsnowbird like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    I suppose if someone know what to look for, trained in profiling they will spot you.
    I don't think the average joe would
    I wouldn't expect the average person would, either. This is why I asked the question on a forum full of fellow concealed carriers.
    1gunsnowbird likes this.

I've always figured that folks who are paying attention and know what to look for might figure it out. Certain habits make it easier, like carrying behind your hip, or letting your hand constantly go to the pistol
    tns0038 likes this.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links