First Concealed Carry Gun! - Page 4

First Concealed Carry Gun!

This is a discussion on First Concealed Carry Gun! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For my first concealde carry specific gun, my first priority was to find something that I knew I would be able to carry regularly. I ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree114Likes

Thread: First Concealed Carry Gun!

For my first concealde carry specific gun, my first priority was to find something that I knew I would be able to carry regularly. I wanted small and easy to use. I went with a 642 snub. If you're willing to work with it and shoot it I don't think they're all that hard to hit with at 7-10 yard distances. Been carrying that same 642 regularly for 15 years.

For me having a gun that can be pocket carried all day is key. I do carry other guns in other modes but If I could only have one specific gun to concealed carry it would have to be something pocket able and would likely still be a 642. It may not be the best gun for all situation, but its better than no gun in any situation.
    forester58, jstert and Haywood like this.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

Glocks are darn good handguns and plenty of people carry them. That said, what training do you have? Are you ready to face the decisions which are associated with use of force and the carriage of weapons? Are you proficient in the use of handguns and have you any training on how to fight with a handgun? People get all caught up in "the gun" and do not always adequately prepare themselves for the ARENA of lawful self defense.
    MYMOMSSON likes this.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    My first one was a S&W Model 15 snub nose issued by the armory when I was aircrew on helicopters in the USAF. I had a DOD CCW permit which listed the butt # on it. *As a side note we were issued a Camillus Govt. issue switchblade along with a letter signed by our Commander saying that we were authorized to carry them.
    Mine was either a 2-inch M-10/15 depending on what Command Post had in the drawer when we checked in; we were issued Gun Cards (CCP) but had no serial numbers since we seldom got the same gun. Carried the Camillus too but no letter (still have it).
    5lima30ret, jstert and ETXhiker like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RonM0710 View Post
    I would be looking at the new Springfield Armory Hellcat. It is a 9MM the size of the Glock 43 or the Sig 365 but carries 11+1 in the flush mag and 13+1 in the included extended mag.
    This

Distinguished Member Array Militant's Avatar
    While ALL of the pieces you have listed are great for conceal carry; you must take everyone else's recommendations as a consideration, not the gospel! The reality is that carrying a gun is a personal choice and decision. What brand, make and model of gun I like, you may not! What works for me, may not for you! And, visa versa. Most cats will tell you about what "they like" or speak about "their personal preferences" opposed to finding out what "your" preferences, likes and needs are. So, go to the range, rent all of the pieces that interest you, and then shoot them, handle them so that you can gather your own data on the pieces and make the choice that works for you! Happy hunting!
    HK USP Compact .45 stainless HK USP Compact .40 stainless HK USP Compact .45
    HK USP Compact 9mm HK 45c HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk

My principle considerations any and all firearms, whether I'm concealing it or not:

1. Shootability: Draw and fire. It should be that simple, without any other action required on the part of the shooter, and for some firearms, it is. For others, not so much. This includes having enough rounds to handle multiple assailants without reloading. These days, home burglaries are often perpetrated by two or more individuals. Can you handle four assailants? What if it requires two rounds each to stop them?

2. Safety: Can it withstand being dropped in Jeff Cooper's "Condition 2: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer down," and not go off? Firing pin interlocks and hammer blocks are wonderful things, when properly designed and the firearm is secured in a Level 2 or better holster.

3. Reliability: Can you push a thousand rounds through it before you need to clean it? (not recommended) Can the gun withstand 50,000 rounds total (with frequent cleaning and lubes) without breaking? Can you clean it both easily and thoroughly at home without requiring gunsmithing tools to break it down further?

4. Ergonomics: Are you comfortable with firing it? Are you accurate when firing it? Is it comfortable to carry? How about all day, every day?

5. Aesthetics: It's your first CC gun - you're going to want to show it off! Nothing wrong with that, provided 1-4 are met or exceeded, first.

Concealed Carry considerations:

A. Holsterability: I don't know why, but some guns seem to defy the ability to remain secure in a holster. A good holster guards the trigger while anchoring the firearm in the holster and the holster to your person.

B. Concealability: I'll bet you though this would be at the top of the list for a concealed firearm, didn't you? Yes, it's important, but in the overall scheme of things, the other considerations are more important. As for concealability, the most important thing to remember is that "smaller and thinner are better," while also remember both are at odds with most of the considerations given above. I have no problem concealing a full-frame 9mm with a 15-round magazine. Then again, I'm not a small person and can get away with wearing baggy clothes because I'm old, with white hair and have put on more than a few pounds. If you're young and fit, well, I'll let the young and fit people share their superior experience than I can provide. :)
    jstert likes this.
    Governor Northam: YOU ARE NOT AUTHORIZED.

i suggest adding ruger, s&w and taurus 38 snub nosed revolvers to o.p.ís try list, both steel and airweight. if possible try the airweight models with softer 38 wadcutter ammo, otherwise stay with steel to mitigate recoil and get a robust holster. i like mine because they are reliable, handy (i wonít leave it behind), simple, p.c. everywhere, and i can reload well enough with speedloaders. you can stay in the $200-300 range and have cash leftover for more ammo or future handgun purchases.

Wish I would have kept my Kahr CW9. It was the perfect size and weight for carry IMO.
    Marc_Brooks likes this.

I have a G19. I love it. I have a g26. I hate it, unless I have a g19 mag with a mag spacer in it. For me, it is unshootable without the longer magazine. I canít get a good enough purchase on it. Then, along came my Goldilocks gun, the p365 manual safety with a 12 round mag. At $499, it was about the same price as the g19 and the g26, although I had to buy the bigger mag. It fits my hand great. It is lighter and easier to carry than either the 19 or the 26, has way more capacity than the Shield. Honestly, I shoot the g19 best, but the p365 is the best combination of size, weight, and capacity that Iíve seen. That said, I havenít seen the Hellcat. But with only 1 extra round beyond what I have with the 365, I donít think I am ready to ďinvestĒ in yet another handgun. Also, in the interest of full transparency, I also have the non safety version of the 365...I just wanted the extra measure of safety while re-holstering...not a fan of Glock Leg.

Quote Originally Posted by Willthewise1 View Post
    Hey guys, it's a been a busy week but I wanted to thank everyone who commented and gave feedback! From talking to a lot of people and some of the people on here I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the Glock 19. I'm actually going to a range tomorrow and shooting! Now they have the gen 4 and gen 5 is there one in particular I should be shooting I tend to lead towards the gen 5 because of the new barrel but would love to hear peoples thoughts! I'm pretty sure I want to stick with a 9MM gun but here are some of the guns that they have and was wondering if they are worth shooting?

Smith & Wesson M&P22 (.22 long rifle)
    Ruger 1911 (45acp)
    Glock 20 (10mm)
    Springfield XD (.40 S&W)
    Glock 23 Gen3 (40 S&W)
    Canik TP9SF (9mm)
    Glock 19X (9mm)
    Glock 19 Gen4 (9mm)
    Glock 19 Gen5 (9mm)
    Glock 17 Gen3 (9mm)
    Glock 43 Gen4 (9mm)
    Sig Sauer P938 (9mm)
    Sig Sauer 320 (9mm)
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield (9mm)
    Smith & Wesson M&P9 2.0 (9mm)
    Beretta APX (9mm)
    Beretta 92FS (9mm)
    Sig Sauer P238 (.380)
    Ruger SP101 (357mag / .38 Special)
    Taurus Tracker (357mag / .38 Special)

So it seems that not only would I be paying for a gun, but a good belt and a good gun holster and ammo to shoot. Is there anything I'm missing? Any other information I need to know? I know training is a good thing and I'll definitely get it but I'm going into law enforcement so whenever I go to the trooper school I'll obviously learned so this is to hold me up till then.

Good choice I have the Gen4 G19 that I will never get rid of and like it been said you will eventually get those others.
    Luke 22:36
    Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

So I went to the range and shot the Glock 19 and 43 both gen 5's and liked both of them and shot the s&w shield 2.0 and also liked it. I wouldn't mind carrying a glock 19 but since I'm concealing it I don't know why I wouldn't want to carry a glock 26 if its basically the same thing just a smaller gun. Is there any reason other then the grip on the Glock 26? I'll definitely be getting the extension for it but shooting the Glock 43 wasn't awful. Is there any other major differences? And yes I understand the repercussions of carrying and plan on putting tons of rounds and good training into it.

I think right now I'm looking to get a Glock 26 Gen 5

ShapeShift Core Carry Pack by Alien Gear

Relentless Tactical The Ultimate Concealed Carry CCW Gun Belt | Made in USA | 14 oz Leather

If anyone have good suggestions or any other thoughts then I'm more then happy to hear!
    ETXhiker likes this.

Distinguished Member Array ETXhiker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Willthewise1 View Post
    So I went to the range and shot the Glock 19 and 43 both gen 5's and liked both of them and shot the s&w shield 2.0 and also liked it. I wouldn't mind carrying a glock 19 but since I'm concealing it I don't know why I wouldn't want to carry a glock 26 if its basically the same thing just a smaller gun. Is there any reason other then the grip on the Glock 26? I'll definitely be getting the extension for it but shooting the Glock 43 wasn't awful. Is there any other major differences? And yes I understand the repercussions of carrying and plan on putting tons of rounds and good training into it.

I think right now I'm looking to get a Glock 26 Gen 5

ShapeShift Core Carry Pack by Alien Gear

Relentless Tactical The Ultimate Concealed Carry CCW Gun Belt | Made in USA | 14 oz Leather

If anyone have good suggestions or any other thoughts then I'm more then happy to hear!
    Good choice. I have the G19 and G26 both, and I honestly shoot the G26 just as well as the G19. For me, the pinky curled under the G26 grip doesn't bother me. Some people it does.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

yeah that's what I thought like worse case I deal with it till I buy another one or just buy a extender. Now trying to figure out what hostler and belt I should get.
    ETXhiker likes this.

Distinguished Member
    I have the Relentless Tactical belt and it's held up very well. I'm happy with it.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Anyone know any good glock 26 magazine extension plus 2 I can buy?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links