Defensive Carry banner

First Concealed Carry Gun!

6K views 63 replies 49 participants last post by  druryj 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm just about to buy my first concealed carry weapons and I have a few questions about it! People have always talked well about glocks so those are kind of the main ones I was looking at.

Glock 19 - This is is probably the front runner for what I want to daily carry. I've talked around with people in law enforcement and this is normally what they say I should carry. Has a good magazine size and has a slot for an attachment. The only down side is maybe the size.

Glock 26 - I've been reading a lot about this gun and have seen a lot of good things about it. obviously, its a bit small then the Glock 19 which would be nice.

Glock 43 - I was looking at this gun originally because of the size but I don't like the fact like it has 6 rounds per mag.

P365 - Also heard some good things about the sig guns but think you're going to pay a premium I try and stay away since glock is cheaper. That doesn't mean I wouldn't pay it but since its my first CCW I wanna try and keep it basic.

S&W M&P Shield M2.0 - When I've gone up to stores the people at the glass windows always recommended it and told me to look up more information on it. Like I said before it just seems to me that sig and glock are two of the top contenders so I tend to lean towards them.

If anyone has any other suggestions I'd be more than happy to listen. I know people say that it depends on the person and how they shoot but out of shooting all of the especially from the Glock 19 and Glock 26 which feels the best?

Now, let's about about holsters. I'm pretty sure I want to carry IWB but is there any benefit to carrying appendix or ankle? What is a trusted brand that I can go out and buy?

I know people talk about weight a lot and being able to concealed the gun. I'm 5'9 165 pounds so I'm not huge or anything but I'd like to be comfortable while carrying but obviously still have it if I need it. If there any thing good upgrades that are worth getting let me know. I'll probably want to changes the sights on the gun and add a flashlight but any other good changes let me know!

If there's anything I should know just let me know and thanks in advance!

See less See more
#3 ·
understand one thing. A concealed carry gun is one that you will have on you 24/7, 365. I had a friend that would only carry a SIG 220.....except he never had it with him because it was too big. Always left it in his truck.

The Glock 19 and 26 will be the easiest to shoot well, but the hardest to conceal. They are bigger and thicker than any of the others on your list.

I carry a Glock 19 or 26 and any one of the last three listed as second guns, but that is me. If I carry just ONE, it will be my Glock 26. I wanna be able to hit what I aim at, and I know the last three will be real iffy past ten yards. Little guns with lots of ammo are great, but still not as easy to handle as a larger gun. Physics. Some here will disagree.

#5 ·
Howdy, Will!

Great set of choices you've got there.

My experience is with the G19 and G26 (from your list). Between those, the G19 is a bit easier for me to shoot well, but I find the G26 easier to carry and conceal. So, I end up carrying the G26 more often than the G19. As Zonker points out, you want a pistol that you will feel comfortable carrying all the time.

I will say the Sig 365XL looks really tempting to me. If you can, try to shoot each and see if you have a preference.

Holsters are a tricky thing to recommend. Every one is different and the holster that works for me, may not be ideal for you. For a Glock, I kinda like the Vedder holsters: simple and well made. I also have Nelson holster (DC member/sponsor) for my Glock 26 for strong-side carry, it's a great option and a really nice holster.

Goo dluck with oyur search and keep asking questions! :3a:

#6 ·
If at all possible, you should find a place that will let you shoot the guns you're considering. You will learn a lot, but even that won't tell you much about what it would be like to carry the gun you choose. It can be a long process. It was for me. Fortunately, I can afford buying and trading in guns (within reason), so it's been an enjoyable journey. And when you get to where you want to be, it's all good.

#7 ·
My son is just starting to look for a gun for himself. Yes, he is taking training, both individual and classes, as he searches for the right gun for home defense and carry. He feels that the S&W Shield EZ is a perfect fit and pleasant to shoot, but would like to get a 9mm. He really liked the Glock 43 a LOT but wants a gun with an external safety since he is a new shooter and feels the extra measure of safety is wise.

I suggested that he look at a S&W Shield in 9mm. He said it is WAY TOO SMALL to be comfortable in his hands - and he does not have large hands at all.

What does this have to do with you and your questions? It is sharing experience from a man who is going through the same process, and who is an engineer. (Engineers research EVERYTHING, forever, in case you didn't get that reference point.) The reason he is learning toward the Shield EZ in .380 is because his wife will most probably be learning to shoot also and I know her and know that any gun with much recoil is absolutely not going to work for her. My son can get another larger caliber gun for himself. They can afford two if that is best for them.

As others have and will continue to point out, the price of the gun is half or even less than half of what you will spend for a complete package: Gun, holster(s), sturdy gun belt, cleaning supplies and beginning amount of ammunition. If you have a budget, try not to look at guns that cost more than you really can afford, realizing that the gun is the beginning of expenses.

You refer to the people in the glass windows. You NEED to go to a range that rents guns, get instructions and try a few different guns! What is perfect for one person is the worst possible choice for another person. And that is a fact.

#8 ·
Find someplace to rent and shoot them. There are a large number of popular conceal carry pistols because everyone has different tastes and wants. Buying a Glock because "everyone" is buying one is plain stupid. Yes, it's a very nice, reliable pistol. but it may not be right in your hands, especially after pulling the trigger a few times. All your choices are very good, reliable pistols. Personally, I would skip the G19 because of the size. But that depends on you if you can conceal it. Some people can, but it will take more effort to do so and stay concealed. If it works for you, go for it. In my search, I narrowed it down to 3 guns. All were highly rated and very popular. One shot with one of them was enough to say no. Nothing wrong with it, just not for me. I ended up looking for a good deal on either of the other 2 as they shot well and fit my hand pretty well.

#9 ·
Where you will end up after carrying a concealed handgun is a guess even for you right now so any Glock will keep its used price up pretty good if you ever want to trade it off for something else down the road. Which you likely will, trust me.
Any of those on your list are quality built and reliable so your on solid ground.
I have carried something like 35 handguns in my life and my most carried gun today is a S&W 642. That is not a recommendation at all for you just saying your tastes or lifestyles or carry needs will change over time. Personally I would recommend something thin over capacity for starting out and you may realize that a larger gun is not that hard to conceal once you get the hang of it if you want to make the commitment.
The P365 XL is big enough to shoot easily and small enough to hide easily but, the standard P365 or the Glock 43 are both super easy to conceal and for me both very tame to shoot. They may not be for you so try and actually shoot some.
Happy handgun hunting.

#10 ·
Welcome to DC!
Some good info already posted.

JMHO,
You have a pretty solid list that covers a good range of sizes.
While I carry a G19 much of the time, there are times when it is too big for me to conceal reliably. For those times I pocket carry a Ruger LCP. Choices are always nice to have. The gun you leave at home or in the car will do you no good when you need it now and the car/home is miles away.

As a first carry gun, I don't think you can go wrong with the S&W Shield 2.0. Half the money of a new G19 in a reliable and easy to carry package.

#11 ·
- all depends on your needs and comfort levels
- when I was a kid I swore i'd CC such-and-such gun one day
- when I became an adult I LOL'd at the size and WEIGHT of such guns
- too heavy, too big, and I'm not stuffing something inside my waist-band and calling that comfy
- can't carry on belt because it doesnt get that cold here

- for ME pocket carry and LIGHT are what works.. so my fav is the 340PD
- for YOU you must determine what you want in REALITY

- come up with a primary choice and 2 or 3 'backups'

#12 ·
@stukinNY I'll have to take a look into that.
@zonker1986 Yeah, I'm fully aware of that it's just hard because I've seen some of the small weapons wit the bigger clips and some people saying they malfunction so I'd rather carry something heavier that is more reliable. But also on the flip side have never had to carry something that weights that much so I can't really say for sure. Almost everyone in law enforcement that I've asked has said the Glock 19. Some of them said Glock 26 because you can't make a bigger gun smaller and since they take the same mags it didn't really matter to me other then people saying Glock 19. Which I think a 19 would be easier to shoot and since I can add an attachment on it too easier.
@RonM0710 - I'll look into it.
@Nix - I appreciate those comments. It seems that both are over all guns I guess when I go to the range I'll be able to have a feel for them a little bit better. Since it's my first gun I'd rather have a gun I can shoot well with but like everyone says I'll be carrying it all day so comfortability is vital! I've seen very good things about the Sig 365XL but I saw one saying it jams a good bit too and so I didn't wanna go that route but who knows. Thank you for the hostlers comments I know for the most part I can't go wrong with any of the gun but I feel like hostlers are another story! Wanna buy something that fits well but also is durable.
@Talldog - I feel that, there isn't many good places to shoot around here that rent. The only one on there list is a glock 19 and there pretty expensive if they did have the other guns I wanted to shoot it'd be at least like $100 to go out there and shoot. I have a friend who is exarmy and he said I can shoot some of his guns but he's so hard to get into contact with.
@ShooterGranny - Thank you for all this information hoping to get to the range this weekend!
@RedSafety - I definitely agree with you on that but I stated before they are pricey around here but thank you!
@forester58 - I really want to like the P365 XL but there's a good amount of reviews that says the gun needs a little bit of work. I understand that carrying a single stack makes the gun slimmer and probably an overall smaller gun which means less weight but I'd rather carry more ammo and have a bigger gun but that may just be me. Looking at the P365 NITRON MICRO-COMPACT is pretty enticing though.

The more and more I think about it my mind is going to the P365. Any thoughts on it?

#29 ·
Yeah, I'm fully aware of that it's just hard because I've seen some of the small weapons wit the bigger clips and some people saying they malfunction so I'd rather carry something heavier that is more reliable.
First lesson - it's a magazine, not a clip. :tongue:
Almost everyone in law enforcement that I've asked has said the Glock 19. Some of them said Glock 26 because you can't make a bigger gun smaller and since they take the same mags it didn't really matter to me other then people saying Glock 19. Which I think a 19 would be easier to shoot and since I can add an attachment on it too easier.
I wouldn't put lots of weight into choosing a carry gun based on LEO choices simply because many of them carry Glocks on duty and prefer to carry a similar manual of arms when off duty. This isn't to say they aren't knowledgeable and to disregard their opinions. I'm simply saying don't assume that their opinion on the matter is the end all be all. You did the right thing by asking this group. Lots of knowledge and varying experience here.

I really want to like the P365 XL but there's a good amount of reviews that says the gun needs a little bit of work. I understand that carrying a single stack makes the gun slimmer and probably an overall smaller gun which means less weight but I'd rather carry more ammo and have a bigger gun but that may just be me. Looking at the P365 NITRON MICRO-COMPACT is pretty enticing though.

The more and more I think about it my mind is going to the P365. Any thoughts on it?
The 365XL is not a single stack, but one would think it is based on how small it is. It holds 12 rounds with flush fit mags while the regular 365 holds 10 with flush fit or pinky extension mags, and accepts 12 round mags that give it the same grip length as the XL. The size differences between the 365 and 365 XL include the grip length, and barrel/slide length. I have a 365 as a backup/pocket gun, and I have been very pleased with it. It's a soft shooting gun given its size. I imagine the XL would be even softer.

As others have said, keep an open mind, shoot as many as you can, and fondle even more. Your carry weapon choices will most likely evolve like everyone else's. Enjoy your journey, and keep us posted on the progress.

#13 ·
Very small pistols are experts' tools. They are not for beginners.

Pistol shooting, in general, is very difficult to master. You can't just buy a pistol and bang away.
Receiving some training from a professional teacher will prove extremely useful.

And I'll add my vote to several others, who suggested try-before-you-buy.
You can find a shop or range which will rent pistols for you to try (on their premises, of course).
Rent as many different pistols as you can afford to, perhaps in five-gun batches. (More than that will only tire you out.)
Take careful notes on every gun you rent. Then go home and re-read your notes, and take your sweet time when making your choice.

#27 ·
Very small pistols are experts' tools. They are not for beginners.
I agree with this and I must admit that I'm understanding it a little more every day. Could you and others maybe expound on this a little bit more?

I will add that most people can conceal more gun than they realize. Add an extended magazine to many of these new small wonder 9's and you are at the length of a compact gun (G19 etc).

The weight difference between a fully loaded 8+1 shield and a fully loaded M&P compact with 15+1 is about the weight of your iPhone X with a case. It's not that much difference, and the concealable length is virtually identical.

Don't forget that you will need to accessorize your new gun - gun belt, holster, extra mags, small addition to your house for holster storage...to name a few.

#14 ·
Welcome to the DC Forum. Looks like you are studying, reviewing, asking questions, and wanting to get your first concealed carry firearm "right".

All of the handguns you have listed are currently being carried by someone who participates on this forum. Each one of the five you have listed will work and work well, if they will work for you. Try to shoot each one, if you can. At least hold them and see what you think. They all feel different, carry different, and have their good points.

For a long time, whenever someone would pose the question, "Which first handgun should I purchase?" the majority answer has been "Glock G19". While not Gaston's first, it is certainly one of his most popular models for self-defense. It does a lot of things well. Large capacity (if you live in a free state), small enough to comfortably conceal carry for most folks, and long enough grip and sight radius to shoot fairly easily. It will work for a nightstand home defense weapon, vehicle weapon, and concealed carry weapon. The G26 will conceal easier for some, but at a loss of capacity with the supplied magazine and most persons can't get a full grip on it, so their pinky hangs below the grip. The G43 is even easier to conceal, but as you have identified, it suffers from capacity issues. The Sig 365 has better capacity than the G43 in only a slight larger size. Sig has seemed to overcome the initial roll out problems and many persons have found the 365 perfect for them. Last on your list is the S&W Shield 2.0, which a lot of persons find easier to shoot than the G43 due to the grip length, slightly longer sight radius, and three dot sights versus the ball and cup on the Glocks. The Shield has a couple more cartridges of capacity than the G43. I have only heard of one case where anyone had any quality issues with one of the Shields on the DC Forum, and S&W made that right.

I have carried all except the Sig 365XL. I have nothing against the 365 at this point in its product life and wouldn't hesitate purchasing one if it fit my needs.

If suddenly all of my handguns went up in smoke (oh yeah, that did happen, I forgot!), and I was looking at starting over knowing what I know now, I would purchase a an original S&W Shield, like @stukinNY suggested. Half or less money than one of the Glocks or Sigs. In my neck of the woods, anywhere from $100 - $150 less than the 2.0. Now, some will say that their life or the lives of their loved ones is priceless, and I would agree. Purchase what works for you. But, just for me, I would purchase a S&W Shield .45 ACP. If 9mm was my thing, I would get it in 9mm. I would pick up a Kydex IWB holster on eBay for around $25 and buy a 1,000 round case of 9mm FMJ and a hundred rounds of carry ammo from one of the online distributors like SGAmmo.com and away I would go to get some instruction and range time.

#15 ·
There's a lot of great advice and things to consider in these posts, OP. You've also picked out some good pistols. One thing I would take a look at that might preclude one or two, is what accessories are available and at what price. You wouldn't be the first person who bought a gun only to find out nobody makes the holster you want for it. Magazine pricing can vary too. Good luck!

#16 ·
Are there any local clubs in your area. If so try to attend a monthly event. Most folks will let you try out their own handguns. You could offer to pay for the ammo. It's probably a good way for you to see which ones point well, don't shift around in your hand between shots and just work well for "you". A sturdy belt is a must, as is a decent holster. You also want comfort. Some Kydex holsters may rub you wrong and some without a tab for hammers or the top of a slide may jab you wrong. Some have a backing which also adds to the comfort factor. Just like the recommendations for the handgun that works reliably for most folks, look for that holster with a solid reputation for comfort and security. Once you get older or if you have a hip that acts up or a disc that acts up from time to time, the overall weight of your rig becomes a factor. At those times you will want something "light" that does not aggravate whatever may be causing you pain.

Something not mentioned yet is how safe are you around light triggers? Do you posses the skill and self control to keep your finger off the trigger? If not, a nice, light striker fired trigger may not be for you. There is a reason many law enforcement agencies don't allow them. I personally love a nice light trigger but decided that in my 70's I'd be better served and safer with a double action or double action only trigger. That would cause you to make a whole new list of choices or to at least give you something else to consider in your choice. Not all striker fired guns have the same feel to their triggers.

When I bought my first concealed handgun, I went for something small and light like a Ruger LCP custom and a small revolver. I already had full size handguns and knew that there would be times when small would be necessary, especially during the summer months and around home when wearing sweats or light shorts and for quick trips to the store. But as has already been said, they are not for the beginner just yet. Finding a professional to help you makes good sense and may help you to avoid buying things twice or three times. Beware the experts behind many counters. This is one of those areas where everyone likes to think they have the answer for you.

#20 ·
@Willthewise1 -- All the guns you listed are solid choices. Good luck on your journey and it sounds like you are doing your research, which is a solid start. All the suggestions about handling and trying out each contender (if possible) are good advice.
The only thing I'll add is about holsters/carrying position -- I would try IWB first before attempting AIWB. It's much easier and takes less experimenting with trying (buying) less holsters, imo.

#21 ·
Go to a gun shop , handle a shield , m&p9c and the 2.0 version and a Taurus g2c . Today I would have no issues for a new CC'er and you can learn what might work better for you with time . . I have a daughter this 5-9 145 lb and she carrys ether a cw9 kahr or glock 19 depending on cloths he husband is 5-11 165 and carrys ether a tp40 kahr or sig p250sc . Both and my self and wife carry at 3:00 in some version of a iwb hybrid . My wifes a little 5-2 and her EDC is a Kimber ultra 9mm but carried a m&p9c for some years . I'm heavier at 5-10 215 so what I carry does not really matter .

I does matter how you dress as to what you can conceal well . If your a shirt tucked in sort of guy smaller is better , maybe p365 or that new xd or shield or thinner kahr cw or cm model or even a smaller micro 380 will have a place at times . No brand or model is all that for everyone and there are very few bad handguns to day to pick from . Heck it might be a snub nose revolver will serve you well but that's for you to try and choice . MIght be this will work well , handgun with laser , a tac light and folding knife for a good price in a lite weight package . Carry federal HST 38sp ammo
https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-bodyguard-38-revolver-everyday-carry-kit

#22 ·
Just remember as you start this journey, if you are like the rest of us you will purchase may pistols in the future.
So as you evolve your first gun may not be the one you end up carrying the most.
Don't sweat the first gun too much. Choose the one you think you will like, then time will tell.
Advice, do not cheap out on gun belt and holster. They are just as important as the gun.
A bad belt and holster will not make the best gun great to carry

#24 ·
Don't sweat the first gun too much. Choose the one you think you will like, then time will tell.
Agreed. It's the first, but I'd bet it won't be the last.

Let me add my thoughts as a sort on new carry guy. I did carry a revolver many years ago but then went 40+ years without carrying. Recently I decided to start carrying again and it's like I'm new as I'd never even shot a semi-auto handgun. I didn't know much about modern handguns so I started by doing some basic research. Gotta love that internet! I also talked to some people who I know that are more knowledgeable on the subject than I am.

When trying to decide what gun to buy a few considerations for me were that it be something I felt was reliable and not overly expensive, as well as something a small guy like me could conceal. I'd heard a lot of good things about Glocks and they certainly have a following but I thought they were a little expensive compared to the Smith and Wessons that also have a good reputation and a strong following. I didn't want a cheap non-name brand gun, but I also didn't want to pay a premium price for a name. Early on I decided I'd buy something from the S&W M&P line.

I originally was looking at the M&P 9mm compact, because I thought the word compact meant small which fit my ease of concealment requirement. It was surprising to me to find out that the Shield was actually smaller and lighter than the compact. Another plus to me was that I felt the single stack Shield would fit my hands better than the double stack compact and the 9 rounds vs 13 didn't seem like a big deal. I don't have any place close by where I could shoot both for a better comparison but when I saw I could buy the Shield for right around $250 I figured why not? It's priced even better now as the $50 rebate came out shortly after I bought mine. I didn't really expect it to be the last gun I buy, but instead it was a starting point.

I bought a Mr Softy AIWB holster on the advice of someone on one of the gun forums, don't remember if it was here or not, but it was inexpensive and so far I really like it. Again I know it won't be the last holster I buy, but a good starter for me.

The main reason I went with 9mm instead of a larger caliber was that the ammo is relatively cheap and I want to shoot a lot. I was lucky to find a local sportsman's club to join that has multiple outdoor ranges available to me anytime I want, and so far they have never been crowded when I go there. Many times I'm actually there by myself as members are given the gate code.

Something else I did, and I'm not saying it's the best way, but just how I thought about it, was to also buy an M&P .22 compact. My thoughts there were that with .22 ammo at about 3 cents a round I can shoot tons of it, giving me lots of practice with a gun that has a lot of similarities to my carry gun. Each time I go to the range I shoot a couple hundred rounds of .22, then finish with a box of so of 9mm. I'm having fun, learning more about the guns each time and not spending a fortune.

Just throwing my experience so far out there.

Oh, yes, magazines. Have fun finding one for the 9mm Shield. Its neither a single stack nor a double stack. I found a single stack .45 mag holster is usable.
I'm a little bit confused at what you mean here. Are you saying it's hard to find magazines for the 9mm Shield? I bought extras at the gun mag warehouse for $20 each.

Or did you mean that it's hard to find a holster for the 9mm Shield? I'm using a Mr Softy and like it's fit, but it's leather which is probably more forgiving than a plastic holster.

#25 ·
Yup, I messed up. Talking about the holster. Royal PITA finding a good mag holster. I have one leather dual mag holster I found at a gun show. I have a kydex one I made myself. I have a Bianchi I found in a gun shop. Neither one I bought was for a Shield, but some generic single-stack .45.

#26 ·
Just my $0.02, I think you’re putting too much emphasis on magazine capacity. You should carry a spare loaded magazine, and as others point out the two most important characteristics are how comfortable the handgun is to carry and how well you shoot it. Think less how many rounds you send downrange. What matters is how many hits you make.

I comfortably carry a Glock27 AIWB and a mag on weak side. Sometimes I carry a Glock 19 on strong side out of waistband (OWB). I like equally shooting either of them. But the 9mm is somewhat less expensive to shoot than the .40. Currently 9mm is $8/50 rounds and .40 is $14/50 rounds at my local store (brass casing, full metal jacket target ammo).

#28 ·
Echoing the other posts about shooting what you consider carrying. In the long run, it won't make much difference as many of us have found what we started with isn't what we currently carry. Just in the last few years I've gone from a Dan Wesson ECO .45, to a Kahr CM9, to a Sig P938, and now a Sig P365. Once the SA Hellcat proves itself as reliable and prices come down to realistic street prices, I wouldn't be surprised if I jumped ship once again and mount an RDS to it. The only thing that would hold me back is the additional investment in a quality holster.

In my view, concealed carry is a journey, not a destination.

Reactions: Wavygravy
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.