Reholstering Without Looking At The Holster - Page 2

Reholstering Without Looking At The Holster

This is a discussion on Reholstering Without Looking At The Holster within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by DanBarnes Can't think of a circumstance where I'd need to re-holster without looking... I certainly can! You've just done something about the ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Reholstering Without Looking At The Holster

Quote Originally Posted by DanBarnes View Post
    Can't think of a circumstance where I'd need to re-holster without looking...
    I certainly can!
    You've just done something about the guys who were about to rob you at gunpoint. They're on the floor, legs crossed, hands finger-laced atop their heads.
    But you're not completely sure that they'll stay that way, if you take your attention away from them.
    And now, the cops, who someone else called for, are arriving. You need to reholster before they see your pistol and think that you may be a bad guy.
    But you mustn't take your attention away from the BGs on the floor.

I suggest that you do indeed need to be able to holster your pistol with only one hand, and without "looking it in."

And even if you think otherwise, I further suggest that it's a very useful skill to have, even if you never use it.

Quote Originally Posted by RonM0710 View Post
    What about “You have just been involved in a self protection shooting and the police are arriving on the scene.”
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

You can What-If this to death, but as long as my life is at risk, regardless of why, I'm not inclined to reholster. No risk, no problem.
    Wavygravy and msgt/ret like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    LE may need to reholster without looking, because at the end of the day they have to put hands on. However, cops have holsters that are YUGE funnels. CCW holsters wear tight to the body (IWB) etc. Two different words. I teach CCW students to "Glance" the gun into the holster.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by M1911A1 View Post
    I certainly can!
    You've just done something about the guys who were about to rob you at gunpoint. They're on the floor, legs crossed, hands finger-laced atop their heads.
    But you're not completely sure that they'll stay that way, if you take your attention away from them.
    And now, the cops, who someone else called for, are arriving. You need to reholster before they see your pistol and think that you may be a bad guy.

I suggest that you do indeed need to be able to holster your pistol with only one hand, and without "looking it in."

And even if you think otherwise, I further suggest that it's a very useful skill to have, even if you never use it.
    Under this scenario putting your hands up and dropping the gun when the Police arrive is probably a better option.
    spclopr8tr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BillG174 View Post
    I have recently read a couple of posts about looking at your holster when you reholster. I agree that this is the safest way to do it.
    Sure beats dropping a $500 quality firearm onto concrete!

Interesting post. I've honestly never thought about this before.

Just strapped on and did a couple of draws and reholsters.

Turns out, I do look at the holster. I also touch and stabilize my holster (it's a drop-leg) with my left hand while reholstering.

I just tried reholstering without either looking or using my other hand.

Weird!

Yet another bad habit I'll have to overcome. Everyone should be able to reholster with one hand and without looking. There may be a time where I'd have to reholster with my opposite hand, as well. I wonder how that would turn out...
    M1911A1 likes this.
    Would you enjoy spending significant amounts of conducting research and conveying carefully worded discourse when others trample it under their feet, even to the point of deleting entire threads? Of course not. Me either. Matthew 7:6

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Under this scenario putting your hands up and dropping the gun when the Police arrive is probably a better option.
    Yes, I would place the gun on the ground and put hands up when police arrived, not re-holster.
    spclopr8tr likes this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

A small trick I use (OWB or IWB) is to stick out my thumb to feel for the holster opening.

That is after making sure no garment is in the way.
    OD* likes this.
    " Keep Packin' On The Bimah"

U.S.A.F. 1966-1971 1821-H O-3

"DISLOYAL JEW"

Quote Originally Posted by DanBarnes View Post
    Can't think of a circumstance where I'd need to re-holster without looking. If I'm putting my gun back in the holster, the threat has been eliminated so no need to rush.
    What about “You have just been involved in a self protection shooting and the police are arriving on the scene.”
    M1911A1 and DrummerMike like this.
    "Lets Be Careful Out There!"

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    You can What-If this to death
    And here it goes.....
    DownInTheDark likes this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by M1911A1 View Post
    I certainly can!

Why are you holding people at gunpoint?? Back away put distance between you and them. Your jacked up on adrenaline and your playing cop?? Look out that guy is making a run for it!!! BANG BANG!! oh boy you just shoot him twice in the back.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

VIP Member
    In that scenario, I've already run it to slide lock, so there is no need for me to look when holstering.
    OD* likes this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

I use my free hand to lift shirt out the way and with my thumb firmly on the hammer, I just slide it in slowly, by feel. I can do it in the dark or with the lights on.

I’d be very concerned about anyone using their other hand in lieu of looking the handgun into the holster. As SOs we’re carefully warning against muzzling ones self at any time. Using that other hand during holstering is very likely setting up to muzzle the free hand.

If I have a cover garment then my free hand pulls it well clear before I begin slow holstering. If I’m not wearing cover then my free hand rests at my sternum, out of the way.

Member IDPA & GSSF
    Preserve Our Rights

If I've just been involved in a SD shooting, either the threat is over or I'm dead. If I've ended the threat, or it has ceased by any means, then it will be safe for me to reholster. If I'm still in a shooting match, I'm not reholstering just because LE is finally arriving to record details.
    Rabbit212 and JAG45 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit212 View Post
    Why are you holding people at gunpoint?? Back away put distance between you and them. Your jacked up on adrenaline and your playing cop?? Look out that guy is making a run for it!!! BANG BANG!! oh boy you just shoot him twice in the back.
    That seems like a good way to end up on trial for at least manslaughter, if not murder.

A civilian does not shoot a fleeing BG, unless the fleeing felon poses is a grave and articulable threat to others.
    And remember: There may be witnesses, whom you have not yet noticed, who will rat you out when interviewed by the cops.

Quote Originally Posted by Wavygravy View Post
    ...I would place the gun on the ground and put hands up when police arrived, not re-holster.
    But then the BG, or one of the BGs, might do a slither, and grab your grounded gun, even as the cops are running in.
    He may shoot at you, since you've already put him in deep doo-doo. Then what do you do?

No. You need to control your weapon until the police have the place firmly in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    In that scenario, I've already run it to slide lock, so there is no need for me to look when holstering.
    If you've "already run it to slide lock," and you haven't reloaded quickly, what will you do when his until-now-unseen buddy starts on you?

You don't know what's going to happen, so you have to be prepared for anything. Really. Anything.
    DrummerMike likes this.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links