Reholstering Without Looking At The Holster - Page 3

Reholstering Without Looking At The Holster

This is a discussion on Reholstering Without Looking At The Holster within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't ever feel the need to reholster quickly, but I am a bit overweight, and it's difficult to look the gun all the way ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Reholstering Without Looking At The Holster

I don't ever feel the need to reholster quickly, but I am a bit overweight, and it's difficult to look the gun all the way into the holster. That's why being able to thumb the SCD on my Glocks and the hammer on my SCCY while proceeding slowly gives me a very comfortable feeling.

I use a Kramer IWB holster with Glock 26. I have found that it is important for the holster to be in the same place. My holster used to move to the rear when worn, never to the front. I attached a Velcro strap between pants belt loop and holster belt loop to limit rearward movement of holster and thus keep holster in same location. I have also recently installed a striker control device and like it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by M1911A1 View Post

If you've "already run it to slide lock," and you haven't reloaded quickly, what will you do when his until-now-unseen buddy starts on you?

You don't know what's going to happen, so you have to be prepared for anything. Really. Anything.
    Once again, my dry humor has been confused with sincerity. Sorry.
    OD*, GraySkies and JAG45 like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BillG174 View Post
    I have recently read a couple of posts about looking at your holster when you reholster. I agree that this is the safest way to do it. I have three Nate Squared Tactical (N82) Professional IWB holsters that have a very strong poly-carbonate shell that the gun slides into so the mouth of the holster always remains open. I carry a Glock 17, 30 and 48. I am left handed so the holster sits IWB right behind the second belt loop on the left side of my jeans.

I am not over weight but when a reholster the gun and try to look down at the holster mouth I really can't see it very well probably because it is at the 3:30 or 4 o'clock position on my BigFoot gun belt.

When I reholster I first feel with my left hand to ensure nothing (clothing, etc.) is blocking the holster mouth. With the gun in my left hand I step back with my strong left foot and then lean back. This makes the mouth of the holster more accessible for the gun - a tip I read on DC a few years ago. With my trigger finger extended and touching the slide I very carefully and slowly find the back edge of the holster mouth with the muzzle underneath side of the gun and continue to slowly insert the gun into the mouth of the holster. I also practice this with the gun unloaded. Although I have never had a problem or ND when the gun is actually moving into the holster I still have a slight un-easy feeling.

Any thoughts or comments about IWB reholstering would be great.

Thanks! Bill
    Three pages later, I'm thinking the approach you have described is solid.
    OD* and BillG174 like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

BillG174, I was originally taught to holster without looking, but after discussions with many here, I have seen the error of my ways and now always look. Even as thin as I am now, if I carry behind the hip, I too cannot see exactly what's going on back there when I reholster. Maybe that's due to a lack of flexibility?

For almost a year now I have been carrying a DA/SA Sig AIWB. One of the big advantages of carrying in that position is I can see exactly what is going on when I reholster, and I like that. Of course, AIWB has its own set of pros and cons, as does a DA/SA pistol. Everything in life involves a set of compromises. It all depends on which set of compromises you are willing to accept and live with.
    Force yourself to be uncomfortable.

I prefer to reholster by the robocop method

Carry either a Dan Wesson 15-2 or S&W 360 IWB and both holsters ride at 5 o'clock with a good funnel, I never look and use my thumb to find the mouth the insert the barrel. I've never dropped either or missed the holster.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BillG174 Good advise and basically what I have done for 33 years . I did get some schooling from a retired fed who taught me to draw one handed , as he said never know if when a handgun is needed if you need to sweep family back a friend or as a last chance to hold a BG at arms reach and to use both hands when reholstering and I carry at a 3:00 position with about 15* of cant BUT I decided many years ago to step my strong side leg forward when holstering my handgun so if by chance I do have a ND I won't have a bullet passing down thru my leg . At worse I get shot in a butt cheek maybe but as I get older there seems to be less of that !

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    You can What-If this to death...
    Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    And here it goes.....
    The internet: “challenge accepted.”
    OldVet and G-man* like this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Some great comments and advice. Me personally, I do not look my holster in, I want my eyes to be scanning for other potential threats. I make sure my cover garment is way out of the way (some friends say I over-exaggerate clearing my cover garment) and I re-holster. I practice re-holstering with an unloaded weapon and I also practice like that at the range. Nothing wrong with what everyone else is saying, but I feel it comes down to training. Side note, I also kick my hip out ever so slightly when I re-holster so if for some reason the gun does discharge it's less likely to hit me.
    Beretta 92 FS Compact Inox
    CZ 2075 RAMI
    CZ P-07
    CZ P-10c
    Walther PPS

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Once again, my dry humor has been confused with sincerity. Sorry.
    Seriously?
    JAG45 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I use an OWB scabbard (DeSantis) with thumb break so re-holstering I do use my support hand to clear the thumb break tab. I'm careful not to sweep the support digits and I do look during re-holster.
    NRA Life Member - U.S. Navy '68 - '72

"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson

I'm a lefty I carry at 7:00 . I can't see my holster in that position. I can feel it though. I don't carry any striker fired gun any way. All mine have decockers.
    Sarge 80 1976-1983 US Air Force

Quote Originally Posted by RonM0710 View Post
    What about “You have just been involved in a self protection shooting and the police are arriving on the scene.”
    Assuming the perp is dead and I felt safe putting my gun away, I can't imagine the police getting there before I had a chance to transfer my gun to my other hand, fish the holster out of my pocket, insert the gun into it, and put it back in my pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by M1911A1 View Post
    I certainly can!
    You've just done something about the guys who were about to rob you at gunpoint. They're on the floor, legs crossed, hands finger-laced atop their heads.
    But you're not completely sure that they'll stay that way, if you take your attention away from them.
    And now, the cops, who someone else called for, are arriving. You need to reholster before they see your pistol and think that you may be a bad guy.
    But you mustn't take your attention away from the BGs on the floor.

I suggest that you do indeed need to be able to holster your pistol with only one hand, and without "looking it in."

And even if you think otherwise, I further suggest that it's a very useful skill to have, even if you never use it.
    You can call me naive but, in that scenario, I'd more likely keep my gun aimed in the BGs general direction until the police arrived and assume they wouldn't just open fire on a 74 year old white guy without giving him the opportunity to drop the gun.

VIP Member
    I always look.

I choose not to play the "what if" scenarios. One can generate an infinite set of circumstances, and I can think of a multitude of more productive uses of my time.
    OldVet likes this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

No. You need to control your weapon until the police have the place firmly in hand.
    Just a thought, but if you have control of your gun other than in holster or on the ground, part of them "police" firmly having the situation in hand/control might include shooting you. JMO

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links