Reholstering Without Looking At The Holster

This is a discussion on Reholstering Without Looking At The Holster within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have recently read a couple of posts about looking at your holster when you reholster. I agree that this is the safest way to ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Reholstering Without Looking At The Holster

I have recently read a couple of posts about looking at your holster when you reholster. I agree that this is the safest way to do it. I have three Nate Squared Tactical (N82) Professional IWB holsters that have a very strong poly-carbonate shell that the gun slides into so the mouth of the holster always remains open. I carry a Glock 17, 30 and 48. I am left handed so the holster sits IWB right behind the second belt loop on the left side of my jeans.

I am not over weight but when a reholster the gun and try to look down at the holster mouth I really can't see it very well probably because it is at the 3:30 or 4 o'clock position on my BigFoot gun belt.

When I reholster I first feel with my left hand to ensure nothing (clothing, etc.) is blocking the holster mouth. With the gun in my left hand I step back with my strong left foot and then lean back. This makes the mouth of the holster more accessible for the gun - a tip I read on DC a few years ago. With my trigger finger extended and touching the slide I very carefully and slowly find the back edge of the holster mouth with the muzzle underneath side of the gun and continue to slowly insert the gun into the mouth of the holster. I also practice this with the gun unloaded. Although I have never had a problem or ND when the gun is actually moving into the holster I still have a slight un-easy feeling.

Any thoughts or comments about IWB reholstering would be great.

Thanks! Bill
    G-man*, SAXDM9, ETXhiker and 1 others like this.
    Being Armed Is A Mindset, Not A Physical Condition - Rob Pincus

SAF, GOA, NRA, Kansas State Rifle Assoc.

I always have looked and always will. There is no real reason not to.
    Havok, wmhawth, msgt/ret and 7 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BillG174 View Post
    I have recently read a couple of posts about looking at your holster when you reholster. I agree that this is the safest way to do it. I have three Nate Squared Tactical (N82) Professional IWB holsters that have a very strong poly-carbonate shell that the gun slides into so the mouth of the holster always remains open. I carry a Glock 17, 30 and 48. I am left handed so the holster sits IWB right behind the second belt loop on the left side of my jeans.

I am not over weight but when a reholster the gun and try to look down at the holster mouth I really can't see it very well probably because it is at the 3:30 or 4 o'clock position on my BigFoot gun belt.

When I reholster I first feel with my left hand to ensure nothing (clothing, etc.) is blocking the holster mouth. With the gun in my left hand I step back with my strong left foot and then lean back. This makes the mouth of the holster more accessible for the gun - a tip I read on DC a few years ago. With my trigger finger extended and touching the slide I very carefully and slowly find the back edge of the holster mouth with the front underneath side of the gun and continue to slowly insert the gun into the mouth of the holster. I also practice this with the gun unloaded. Although I have never had a problem or ND when the gun is actually moving into the holster I still have a slight un-easy feeling.

Any thoughts or comments about IWB reholstering would be great.

Thanks! Bill
    You're doing everything right. The only other advice is Tau Development Group Striker Control Device or "Gadget" that will allow you to prevent a discharge while thumb-capping the steiker plate while holstering.

Cons for this is that 1: its a means of defeating the gun from firing.
    2: one method of making a contact shot with a Glock is to apply pressure to the striker plate to force the gun into battery, you can still do a similar method with the SCD in place, but its a little more detailed.

Pros are that its a "passive" safety in that there is nothing required to deactivate it.

I have not come across a documented single instance of one failing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

JD thanks for your post. I am familiar with the Striker Control Device - thanks for mentioning it.
    Being Armed Is A Mindset, Not A Physical Condition - Rob Pincus

SAF, GOA, NRA, Kansas State Rifle Assoc.

Distinguished Member
    always look, and keep doing what you are doing.
    "You don't hurt them if you don't hit them." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC Retired

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

VIP Member
    Even after dropping thirty pounds, there isn't anything over there to see when holstering IWB at 3:00 except me.
    OD*, msgt/ret, Struckat and 5 others like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Distinguished Member
    A huge plus of carrying my P99 is that depressing the decocker makes it impossible to discharge. So, I can safely reholster without looking.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

I can’t see my holster at 4:00 o’clock but the mouth of the holster is a double layer of leather plus with both a grip safety and thumb safety I never worry about it.
    OD* and ETXhiker like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Can't think of a circumstance where I'd need to re-holster without looking. If I'm putting my gun back in the holster, the threat has been eliminated so no need to rush.

It’s not easy especially the further back you wear your holster. Slow and deliberate is safe.
    OD* and Old Man like this.
    Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none. ~Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by DanBarnes View Post
    Can't think of a circumstance where I'd need to re-holster without looking. If I'm putting my gun back in the holster, the threat has been eliminated so no need to rush.
    What about “You have just been involved in a self protection shooting and the police are arriving on the scene.”
    "Lets Be Careful Out There!"

Ron

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Sounds like you are doing fine now.
    Can't say I've ever found a reason for speed holstering. I almost always look when I reholster, although I have trained to holster by tactile feeling. Just never been 100% comfortable with it.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

I put my thumb on the hammer with my Sigs. My Shield has a safety that I click off once in the holster. 365 and LCP stay in their holsters.
    I still look when holstering.
    Wavygravy likes this.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

Sounds to me like you have the right idea, and are doing fine.

You acknowledge the possibilities and take care; that is the entire ballgame.
    Old Man likes this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

I look when I re-holster and I look when I perform a mag change. Its important enough to do it right the first time. Some things I simply chalk up to a tactical kabuki dance. Holstering without looking is one of those things.
    spclopr8tr likes this.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links