On My Way To The Mall... - Page 11

On My Way To The Mall...

This is a discussion on On My Way To The Mall... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by jmf552 I would not say malls are low percentage. You may recall: 2007, Westroads Mall, Omaha, NB 8 deaths 2012, Clackamas Town ...

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Like Tree317Likes

Thread: On My Way To The Mall...

Senior Member Array CreedDryrot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    I would not say malls are low percentage. You may recall:
    • 2007, Westroads Mall, Omaha, NB 8 deaths
    • 2012, Clackamas Town Center, Porland OR, only 1 injured, because the shooter with an AR was stopped by a concealed carrier
    • 2014, Columbia Mall, Columbia, MD 3 deaths
    • 2016 Cascade Mall in Burlington, Wa 5 deaths
    • 2019 El Paso, TX 20 deaths
    Clackamas Town Center was not only 1 injured, and he was not stopped by a concealed carrier.

Two people were killed, one injured. The shooter, Jake Roberts, killed himself. There were a handful of concealed carriers at the mall that day, none of them did anything to stop the shooting. I was one of the first officers on the scene. It didn't occur in Portland, but the county to the south, Clackamas. I was there as part of the multi-agency tac team that responded.
    Mike1956, OD* and LimaCharlie like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CreedDryrot View Post
    Clackamas Town Center was not only 1 injured, and he was not stopped by a concealed carrier.

Two people were killed, one injured. The shooter, Jake Roberts, killed himself. There were a handful of concealed carriers at the mall that day, none of them did anything to stop the shooting. I was one of the first officers on the scene. It didn't occur in Portland, but the county to the south, Clackamas. I was there as part of the multi-agency tac team that responded.
    The story I heard, with which you are no doubt familiar, was that a concealed carrier drew down on the shooter but did not fire out of concern for what was beyond the target. The shooter saw this, then retreated and shot himself. You were there, so what actually happened?
    OD* and Rockymonster like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Senior Member Array CreedDryrot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    The story I heard, with which you are no doubt familiar, was that a concealed carrier drew down on the shooter but did not fire out of concern for what was beyond the target. The shooter saw this, then retreated and shot himself. You were there, so what actually happened?
    That is what I saw the concealed carrier tell the news also, and I believe that person thinks that's what happened on the timeline of events. Whether it actually happened or not, happened that way, or influenced the shooter somehow, I don't know. As that concealed carrier is an actual person in my community and may even be a member here, I'm not going to say more. However, Roberts was found dead nowhere near where the concealed carrier said that happened, and we know he had attempted at least one more victim after that, before he took his own life.

From my side of things, I was part of the team clearing the mall, and one of us found the body of the shooter. What I mainly witnessed was a lot of scared people.
    OD* and Mike1956 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I suppose we can presume the CC'er at least disrupted the Clackamas shooter's Oopa-loopa loop.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by lchamp View Post
    In my 70+ years of shooting, I have observed many of my compatriots who "couldn't hit the side of a barn" with a .45 handgun but could be very accurate with many other handguns. I, myself, have qualified as expert on every handgun I used for qualification with the lone exception of the military 1911. At the local police shooting range, we often trade off handguns between shooters...just talking from experience. Yeah, I have put a little thought into it.
    Doesn’t really answer the question though, does it.

What factor is causing that? Simply the fact it's a .45? Sorry, not buying that.

Is it he lack of fundamentals on the shooter's part? Is it other shooters telling them “it's gonna kick like a mule!" and messing with their heads?
    OD* likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by lchamp View Post

I always contend that a well placed shot from a .22 always beats a miss by a .45. I carry a 9mm and a .38.
    I shoot the 10mm better because it’s a 1911 and the weight helps me be more accurate. That’s what the instructors in my last classes felt and I had come to that conclusion as well. (Not arguing just a statement of fact for me.)
    lchamp likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post

I would think a 10mm would be classified as a WMD in NY.
    Agreed!! We all wonder when they’ll start restricting calibers!

Carry what ever you want. You don't have to justify it to others. Sometime I vary my carry based on whim/feeling. It is only my business.

I plan for the worst and hope for the best. I don't care what anyone else carries unless you are assigned to protect me or my family. Do whatever makes you feel warm and fuzzy.

I have carried guns off and on since 1963. In all of that time I drew my gun once in 1967 as a civilian and didn't have to use it. I also have several fire extinguishers and have never had to use one in my lifetime.

I carry different calibers, different guns, and different amounts of ammo depending on where I go, what I am doing, and how long it might take me to walk home after a disaster.

I don't trust a 9mm or .38 special past bad-breath fighting distances. My routine local urban carry is a 5" 1911 in either .45 ACP or 10mm with a spare magazine on my belt plus a Sig P938 9mm with a spare magazine in my pocket.
    Mike1956 and OD* like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by judgecrater View Post
    Carry what ever you want. You don't have to justify it to others. Sometime I vary my carry based on whim/feeling. It is only my business.
    It only becomes other peoples' business when it gets posted to a discussion forum like this one. Then, it's everybody's business.
    OD*, Wavygravy, flh and 3 others like this.

It only becomes other peoples' business when it gets posted to a discussion forum like this one. Then, it's everybody's business.
    Mike1956, OD* and seeker_two like this.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Or when your feelings are hurt because someone doesn't feel the same way.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    Or when your feelings are hurt because someone doesn't feel the same way.
    I've become very accustomed to people being wrong.
    CDW4ME and Chaplain Scott like this.

I've become very accustomed to people being wrong.
    Me as well... Never has there a been a person who didn't agree with me that turned out being right.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    Me as well... Never has there a been a person who didn't agree with me that turned out being right.
    Open up a bit there, maybe -- "“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
    ― Isaac Asimov
    rotorhead1026 and Cuda66 like this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links