On My Way To The Mall... - Page 2

On My Way To The Mall...

This is a discussion on On My Way To The Mall... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Cypher If I thought I had to carry extra ammunition as a specific prerequisite of going anywhere I wouldn't go there I ...

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree321Likes

Thread: On My Way To The Mall...

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    If I thought I had to carry extra ammunition as a specific prerequisite of going anywhere I wouldn't go there
    I am a minimalist, carrying only the minimum. My exception is the Indian country just north of me, which I avoid as much as possible. Then I will always carry an extra mag. There it is unlikely you'll encounter the lone brave looking to score, it will be the entire hunting party.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Could you clarify your statement please ?
    It's similar to yours; that is, if I feel that is necessary to up-gun just to go someplace...I’m rethinking the necessity of going there.

I'd really rethink it if I was bringing my children there.

Add in that the mall is probably one of the lower-percentage locations of a violent encounter...I just plain don’t get the mindset.

More of a response to the OP...hence the ‘you do you”. I’m not saying they shouldn’t, or that I think it's wrong...it's that the logic escapes me, is all.
    Cypher, since9, BamaT and 1 others like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    I dont really recall too many mall shootings but whatever works for you is all you should consider.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    It's similar to yours; that is, if I feel that is necessary to up-gun just to go someplace...I’m rethinking the necessity of going there.

I'd really rethink it if I was bringing my children there.

Add in that the mall is probably one of the lower-percentage locations of a violent encounter...I just plain don’t get the mindset.

More of a response to the OP...hence the ‘you do you”. I’m not saying they shouldn’t, or that I think it's wrong...it's that the logic escapes me, is all.
    If you don't understand carrying a different weapon for different situations, then all you need is a 22 single shot. Is that the only weapon you have? You can't come on here and share a story without some Keyboard Cowboy telling you that what you're doing doesn't make any sense and isn't logical. That's why I don't come around here much anymore. From now on, I'm going to end every post with "Now go ahead and say something stupid." Or maybe that needs to be in my signature line?
    since9 likes this.
    "Now go ahead and say something stupid!"

Be polite, be professional but have a plan to kill everyone that you meet. General James "Mad Dog" Mattis USMC

A .380 in your pocket is better than a 45 in your truck.

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    Most malls in the area have gun buster signs.
    Therefore it has been years since I have been to one
    Same here and the last time I lowered my standards enough to enter a mall was a few years ago when I was looking for a quality set of kitchen knives. I went to a cutlery store in a mall in Raleigh that is notoriously anti-gun, after finding some I liked I came back home and ordered them online. Not only did I not spend any money there I also saved a couple hundred dollars.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Quote Originally Posted by luckydog View Post
    If you don't understand carrying a different weapon for different situations, then all you need is a 22 single shot. Is that the only weapon you have? You can't come on here and share a story without some Keyboard Cowboy telling you that what you're doing doesn't make any sense and isn't logical. That's why I don't come around here much anymore. From now on, I'm going to end every post with "Now go ahead and say something stupid." Or maybe that needs to be in my signature line?
    But this wasn't about different guns for different situations, you stated that you upgraded your armament and added an extra magazine and a knife based on your perception of risk. What Cuda66 (and I) said was if he has to up arm to go somewhere he doesn't go. If a Little Crappy Pistol .380 isn't enough to protect your daughter it's not enough to protect you.

I've always made it a practice to avoid unnecessary risks. I can't remember the last time I went to a Mall but as someone else said I bet it's been 15 years. I actually quit shopping in convenience stores years ago more as a money saving measure than for any other reason. However, I'm also very aware that they are "watering holes" and avoid them for that reason too.

Having said all that though I don't change what I'm carrying based on any perceived threat or risk assessment. As I said earlier, if it's dicey enough to make me question what I'm carrying I don't go period.

I make my carry decisions based strictly on my concealmeant needs. If I can conceal a G19 and two reloads that's what I carry. If I can't it's a G26 and 1 reload.

You expected a chorus of “kumbaiyah”?

And I fail to see the reason for you getting your nose out of joint, here.

I didn’t say what you did was stupid.

I didn’t say you shouldn’t do it.

I just said I don’t get the logic of seeing the necessity of it.

I swear...had I realized you were one of those folks who needed their actions constantly validated, I wouldn’t have said anything. Sorry for thinking otherwise.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Keyboard Cowboy here.

Well since you did, I will. My point was that if you feel the need to "up-gun," then perhaps your choice of gun #1 is insignificant for personal protection. Did you lose faith in your .380 based on your intended location? Is your .380 okay for here but not there? Sounds like lack of confidence in that caliber. Why would you carry it?

If I felt your proverbial .22 caliber was significant, I might feel I need more ammo than caliber, but if the .22 is significant, then it's significant here, there, everywhere. I carry either a 9mm or .45, and where I'm going has little to do with the choice between the guns.
    M1911A1 and ButtShot14 like this.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    We ALL play the "what if?" game, at least those of us who give more than a nano-second of thought about what we are doing/were we are going. We adjust our clothing and weaponry to changing conditions like the weather, what will not "stand out" and mark us as carrying a gun, and perceived threat assessment.

All of us calculate those things differently.
    Wavygravy, msgt/ret and M1911A1 like this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Keyboard Cowboy here.

Well since you did, I will. My point was that if you feel the need to "up-gun," then perhaps your choice of gun #1 is insignificant for personal protection. Did you lose faith in your .380 based on your intended location? Is your .380 okay for here but not there? Sounds like lack of confidence in that caliber. Why would you carry it?

If I felt your proverbial .22 caliber was significant, I might feel I need more ammo than caliber, but if the .22 is significant, then it's significant here, there, everywhere. I carry either a 9mm or .45, and where I'm going has little to do with the choice between the guns.
    "...insignificant for personal protection..."? No, not really. I believe it's called "Threat assessment" there, OldVet. If I'm going to the grocery store in my little village where crime is virtually non-existent, my .380 is more than enough imo. When I had to stop for gas and bathroom at 3 a.m. at an all-night liquor/convenience store in the worst crime area of Fayetteville NC recently, I was glad to have my 9mm.
    Why would I NOT?
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Understand and agree with the OP thought process.

When I am by myself, I will carry a 380 or 9mm, but when I am with my family I am carrying a .45 w/extra mags.
    I think of it like, when I am alone I can run my azz off and if need fire a few small bullets as retreat cover. But if my family is in harms way, I am going on the offensive, to take out the threat or to cover my family's escape.

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rlggray View Post
    Your probably just as likely to get shot at any 7-Eleven as you are at any mall in America. IMO.
    As someone said, a mall is a more likely target for a mass shooting than is a convenience store. Distance dictates a longer barrel and higher caliber in my book, if I've got a choice to make.
    EddieFL and Chaplain Scott like this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by RedSafety View Post
    As someone said, a mall is a more likely target for a mass shooting than is a convenience store. Distance dictates a longer barrel and higher caliber in my book, if I've got a choice to make.
    Like an AR-15...

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Like an AR-15...
    Go big or go home

Go big or go home

Might want a larger gun for the mall though. Fighting for that parking spot can get vicious.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links