On My Way To The Mall... - Page 3

On My Way To The Mall...

This is a discussion on On My Way To The Mall... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by RedSafety As someone said, a mall is a more likely target for a mass shooting than is a convenience store. Distance dictates ...

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 173
Like Tree318Likes

Thread: On My Way To The Mall...

  1. #31
    New Member Array rlggray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    694
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSafety View Post

    As someone said, a mall is a more likely target for a mass shooting than is a convenience store. Distance dictates a longer barrel and higher caliber in my book, if I've got a choice to make.

    So If you and your girlfriend/wife are at 7-Eleven getting some drinks and gas, and she says, "honey, let's go to the mall, Penney's has a bogo sale." Do you say, "ok, but I'll have to go home first and change guns." ?
    Cypher and Marc_Brooks like this.

  2. #32
    Member Array Cypher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    458
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Might want a larger gun for the mall though. Fighting for that parking spot can get vicious.
    After you roll over a couple of those smart cars they get out of your way

  3. #33
    Member Array Cypher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    458
    The first thing that I want to reiterate is that if I feel like I need a bigger gun or more ammunition to go someplace, I don't go there period, full stop, end of discussion.

    About 3 years ago I walked out my front door and right into an attempted robbery. It really didn't matter what my destination was because they caught me in the parking lot before I even made it to the car.

    So regardless if I was prepared for the grocery store in my crime-free community (that still has some level of crime) or the Stop and Rob in downtown Fayetteville I had to respond with what I had on me at the time.

    Based on that experience, I'm never walking out my front door without a 9 millimeter double stack ever again. (Obviously assuming I'm not going someplace where I'm prohibited by law from carrying at all. ) I don't care where I'm going and that's why I don't have different guns for different situations.

    My personal opinion, take it for what it's worth, is that a.380 is a gun for people who want a magic talisman ward off evil.

    Having said that, if I'm not willing to carry a particular gun everywhere then I'm not willing to carry that gun anywhere.
    norcalAF likes this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #34
    VIP Member Array OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Florida Twilight Zone
    Posts
    31,830
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    Having said that, if I'm not willing to carry a particular gun everywhere then I'm not willing to carry that gun anywhere.
    And that is kind of my point. Either a carry gun is good enough to carry anywhere or it isn't good enough to carry anywhere.

    Now for the "What if you encounter 12 terrorists armed with AK-47s?" Then any handgun is marginal...
    msgt/ret and CreedDryrot like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

  6. #35
    Member Array M1911A1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    469
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    ...My personal opinion, take it for what it's worth, is that a.380 is a gun for people who want a magic talisman ward off evil...
    ...Or who have developed enough arthritis in the hands to make that "the best that I can do."

    Of course, it helps to continue practicing, to remain as quick and as accurate as possible.
    Quick and effective accuracy always makes the very best of whatever you've got.
    msgt/ret and Chaplain Scott like this.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

    "Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

  7. #36
    VIP Member Array WebleyHunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Colorado Front Range
    Posts
    2,622
    I would definitely say that different events can warrant different carry...

    Stopping by the mall on a Saturday afternoon to pick-up a new set of cheap glasses at "One Hour Optical" = Normal EDC platform and loadout.

    Taking the family to the "Light the Lights" Christmas celebration in Downtown Denver's Civic Center Plaza, where terrorism/active shooter/normal thuggery all make a valid entry in the threat matrix = Damn skippy- I will have some "extra" goodies (Can you say 1006 with three mags?). Not going isn't an option.
    graydude and Chaplain Scott like this.
    Arkancide- Three self-inflicted gunshots to the head with hands tied behind the back.

    Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

  8. #37
    Distinguished Member Array druryj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,535
    Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    Most malls in the area have gun buster signs.
    Therefore it has been years since I have been to one
    Well, I'll be. I have never seen a gun-buster sign at any mall or shopping center, and I go to them only because my wife likes to and I don't want her to go without me along with her, and me being armed. I've heard they have such signs, but I guess I must walk faster than I read so maybe I just missed their stoopid signs.

  9. #38
    Senior Member Array ButtShot14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    600
    OK. My 2 cents on this controversy. Carry whatever gun(s) you are comfortable carrying. One size does not fit all. Practice with whatever you carry and stay proficient with them.

  10. #39
    Member Array since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    491
    Quote Originally Posted by luckydog View Post
    If you don't understand carrying a different weapon for different situations...
    Oh, I think we understand. However, consider the situation of taking one's self or self and family to an urban area, whether that be the mall, a gas station, restaurant, movie theater, or a park, I have one self-defense firearm which fits all circumstances I'm likely to encounter, and that's a medium-caliber pistol.

    Now, if you'd like to discuss urban warfare, which I'm very highly unlikely to encounter while out and about in my own city during peacetime, particularly on a family outing with children...

    Is that the only weapon you have?
    Is anyone here under any obligation whatsoever from anyone to either share or reveal what they have?

    You can't come on here and share a story without some Keyboard Cowboy telling you that what you're doing doesn't make any sense and isn't logical.
    Well, that's true. Lots of people here like telling others what they should and should not do.

    That's why I don't come around here much anymore. From now on, I'm going to end every post with "Now go ahead and say something stupid." Or maybe that needs to be in my signature line?
    I hear you, luckydog. I hear you...
    Mike1956 and Chaplain Scott like this.
    Would you enjoy spending significant amounts of conducting research and conveying carefully worded discourse when others trample it under their feet, even to the point of deleting entire threads? Of course not. Me either. Matthew 7:6

  11. #40
    VIP Member Array jmf552's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    6,494
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    Add in that the mall is probably one of the lower-percentage locations of a violent encounter...I just plain don’t get the mindset.
    I would not say malls are low percentage. You may recall:
    • 2007, Westroads Mall, Omaha, NB 8 deaths
    • 2012, Clackamas Town Center, Porland OR, only 1 injured, because the shooter with an AR was stopped by a concealed carrier
    • 2014, Columbia Mall, Columbia, MD 3 deaths
    • 2016 Cascade Mall in Burlington, Wa 5 deaths
    • 2019 El Paso, TX 20 deaths
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

  12. #41
    VIP Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Guncentric
    Posts
    4,084
    There is nowhere I'd rather have a 380 to defend myself than a 9mm.
    Cornhusker95 and WC145 like this.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

  13. #42
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion county, Ohio
    Posts
    32,752
    Quote Originally Posted by luckydog View Post
    If you don't understand carrying a different weapon for different situations, then all you need is a 22 single shot. Is that the only weapon you have? You can't come on here and share a story without some Keyboard Cowboy telling you that what you're doing doesn't make any sense and isn't logical. That's why I don't come around here much anymore. From now on, I'm going to end every post with "Now go ahead and say something stupid." Or maybe that needs to be in my signature line?
    Posts like your original one on this thread almost inevitably invite snarky know-it-all-ism retorts in the forms of caliber taunts, platform disses, strategy insults and questioning of judgement, often but not always by the usual suspects. Internet kung fu/keyboard expertise is an inescapable reality, with many wanting to show their stuff at the drop of the hat.

    It sounds like you regularly carry, which puts you ahead of probably ninety-five percent of the overall population. Hats off (not dropped) for that alone.

    You put some thought into how and what you carry, and why. Another round of applause.

    Where you and the rest of us get in trouble is when we try to share our experiences and outlooks with other ostensibly like-minded people in a generally anonymous setting such as this. IMO, you're doing great. Carry on.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

    "Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

  14. #43
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion county, Ohio
    Posts
    32,752
    Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    There is nowhere I'd rather have a 380 to defend myself than a 9mm.
    Which is another difference between you and many of the rest of us.
    Wavygravy, spclopr8tr and M1911A1 like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

    "Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

  15. #44
    Member Array Cypher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    458
    Quote Originally Posted by M1911A1 View Post
    ...Or who have developed enough arthritis in the hands to make that "the best that I can do."

    Of course, it helps to continue practicing, to remain as quick and as accurate as possible.
    Quick and effective accuracy always makes the very best of whatever you've got.
    That's true but because an LCP was specifically mentioned that's where my mind went. An LCP is not a handgun I would ever want to shoot if I had arthritis. In fact, my wife owned one and she ended up selling it because she could shoot it because of her arthritis.

    She also owned a llama Micromax .380 for several years that she had no problem with

  16. #45
    Member Array Terry 2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Colorado North Front Range
    Posts
    23
    I just got rid of a Kel Tec P11 because even with a trigger shoe it was a bear to shoot. Not sure of the pull weight ~ 8-10 lbs?
    NRA Life Member - U.S. Navy '68 - '72

    "Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •