On My Way To The Mall... - Page 4

On My Way To The Mall...

This is a discussion on On My Way To The Mall... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Tenring1911 Understand and agree with the OP thought process. When I am by myself, I will carry a 380 or 9mm, but ...

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Like Tree318Likes

Thread: On My Way To The Mall...

Quote Originally Posted by Tenring1911 View Post
    Understand and agree with the OP thought process.

When I am by myself, I will carry a 380 or 9mm, but when I am with my family I am carrying a .45 w/extra mags.
    I think of it like, when I am alone I can run my azz off and if need fire a few small bullets as retreat cover. But if my family is in harms way, I am going on the offensive, to take out the threat or to cover my family's escape.
    I may be an idiot, the jury's still out on that. But what you stated here makes a lot of sense to me.

With that said, and the fact that I may be an idiot still under consideration, I don't change what I carry dependent on where I'm going. But with my wife deceased and my son a grown man, I don't expect to be defending anyone but myself. I started out carrying a .22 because I thought that any gun was better than no gun. Then I moved to a Shield 9 which I carry now. I'm next going to buy a double stack 9 and see if I like that as a carry gun.

I don't anticipate moving up in caliber as to me the 9mm is adequate and the ammo is cheap enough that I can afford to practice with it a lot. I will carry the highest capacity weapon that I'm comfortable with and can conceal well enough though.
    Chaplain Scott and ETXhiker like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mmb617 View Post
    I may be an idiot, the jury's still out on that. But what you stated here makes a lot of sense to me.

With that said, and the fact that I may be an idiot still under consideration, I don't change what I carry dependent on where I'm going. But with my wife deceased and my son a grown man, I don't expect to be defending anyone but myself. I started out carrying a .22 because I thought that any gun was better than no gun. Then I moved to a Shield 9 which I carry now. I'm next going to buy a double stack 9 and see if I like that as a carry gun.

I don't anticipate moving up in caliber as to me the 9mm is adequate and the ammo is cheap enough that I can afford to practice with it a lot. I will carry the highest capacity weapon that I'm comfortable with and can conceal well enough though.
    My previous double stack carry guns spend most of their time in the safe now, while the Shields get the full-time carry assignment. Merely my preference, for sure, but based on years of carry experience in search of the perfect carry gun.
    ETXhiker and swkenobi like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    I would not say malls are low percentage. You may recall:
    • 2007, Westroads Mall, Omaha, NB 8 deaths
    • 2012, Clackamas Town Center, Porland OR, only 1 injured, because the shooter with an AR was stopped by a concealed carrier
    • 2014, Columbia Mall, Columbia, MD 3 deaths
    • 2016 Cascade Mall in Burlington, Wa 5 deaths
    • 2019 El Paso, TX 20 deaths
    5 events, over 12 years, in how many hundreds (thousands?) of malls in the US?

You might want to redo your math.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post

How many bad things do you reckon happen in the parking lots of any of those malls on a given day?
    Chaplain Scott likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    How many bad things do you reckon happen in the parking lots of any of those malls on a given day?
    How many bad things happen in parking lots at any given location every day?
    Mike1956 and Chaplain Scott like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

VIP Member
    How many bad things happen in parking lots at any given location every day?
    Which is why I am always hand-on-gun when traversing parking lots.
    forester58 likes this.

Carry what suits you. Wherever it suits you.

I don't shoot very small handguns well, so I try to have at least a medium size firearm on me.

I don't feel any more ill at ease in a mall than anywhere else, but every mall is different. {clientele.}

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by druryj View Post
    Well, I'll be. I have never seen a gun-buster sign at any mall or shopping center, and I go to them only because my wife likes to and I don't want her to go without me along with her, and me being armed. I've heard they have such signs, but I guess I must walk faster than I read so maybe I just missed their stoopid signs.
    Check for the sign at rug rat height, off about 4 feet away from the door. That's were our mall "prominently displays" their sign.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Which is why I am always hand-on-gun when traversing parking lots.
    In which case, a small pocket pistol makes a lot more sense than a large belt holstered pistol...
    Mike1956 and Wavygravy like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    There is nowhere I'd rather have a 380 to defend myself than a 9mm.
    There is nowhere I'd rather have a 9mm than an M60 and a walkie talkie to call in artillery. But I would rather have something that shoots than nothing.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSafety View Post
    Check for the sign at rug rat height, off about 4 feet away from the door. That's were our mall "prominently displays" their sign.
    As I understand Missouri law in this particular instance, no crime is committed until a carrier is told to leave the premises and refuses. I would ignore the sign and go on about my business. That's just me, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by rlggray View Post
    So If you and your girlfriend/wife are at 7-Eleven getting some drinks and gas, and she says, "honey, let's go to the mall, Penney's has a bogo sale." Do you say, "ok, but I'll have to go home first and change guns." ?
    Seeing as I only have one gun, nope. And for me, unless I need deep concealment, I would be carrying the 9MM Shield over a mouse gun, if I had one, wherever I go. I'm good out to 15 yards and would trust it to probably 30 yards.

VIP Member
    In which case, a small pocket pistol makes a lot more sense than a large belt holstered pistol...
    For me, it's generally not an either/or dilemma. I can easily and conveniently do both.

You could say the same for nightclubs, theaters and concert venues. It all adds up. I would say any venue that is a gun-free zone with a lot of people is a target for a mass shooting. Even if you do the math on schools, the numbers are pretty low.

With your logic, you really don't need to carry at all. The average carrier's chance of ever needing a gun is pretty slim.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Quote Originally Posted by RedSafety View Post
    As someone said, a mall is a more likely target for a mass shooting than is a convenience store. Distance dictates a longer barrel and higher caliber in my book, if I've got a choice to make.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Like an AR-15...
    Open carry of long guns is legal in MO. And the mall is not LEGALLY posted, not with a small sign at rug rat height about 4 feet away from the door where only dogs and wandering kids would notice it. Not sure how to carry an AR concealed, so nope. Maybe a City Heat Speer's Colt Buntline 12" Special.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links