On My Way To The Mall... - Page 6

On My Way To The Mall...

This is a discussion on On My Way To The Mall... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 Didn't we have thread like this awhile back? I'm sure it'll come back around in a month or so...

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
Like Tree318Likes

Thread: On My Way To The Mall...

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    Didn't we have thread like this awhile back?
    I'm sure it'll come back around in a month or so

Quote Originally Posted by luckydog View Post
    I was out of town for my youngest daughters twelfth birthday so I promised her that we would go out together and shop for a special present from just me when I got back. So I'm getting ready this morning and I slip my LCP .380 in my pocket and I started to think....I'm going to the mall with my most precious belonging, I need to carry something more substantial. So I grabbed my 9mm, extra mag and my Spyderco. It sucks that we have to think that way but I'm thankful we are able to. Thanks to all of my fellow vets that served and has help to protect our rights!
    This is the reason why I'll never own another .380. I've never bought the whole "it's just a quick run to the store" business. Ask yourself: if you KNEW you were going to actually need a gun before leaving the house, would it be a .380? If the answer is no, then either carry a real gun or stay home.
    Cornhusker95 and OD* like this.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    ...An LCP is not a handgun I would ever want to shoot if I had arthritis...
    Well, arthritis and all, I can still usefully shoot my wife's Kel-Tec P-3AT.
    I guess it's because I carried a mini-pistol in .45 for all those past years. Nowadays, a mini-pistol in .380 seems easy as 3.1415926.
    ETXhiker likes this.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I want to be careful how I say this because I really don't want to come off as an elitist know it all.

I don't claim to have a lot of training. I consider myself to have a good grasp on the fundamentals.

Having said that, I've been lucky enough to get to talk to and ask questions of a lot of people who do have a lot of training and real world experience.

I'm not sure exactly how to explain this but I have observed the across-the-board with these people there's a (for lack of a better word) basic load that they carry. They don't seem to bounce around with a lot of different guns for different situations.

That's not to say that they don't have different guns for different situations but it seems like the base-line minimum is 10 rounds of 9 mm and at least one reload. In fact I'm almost positive that Tom Givens specifically recommends that you carry no less.

It seems like no matter where they're going they don't go below that base line. So I try to emulate that. Not because I'm Tactical Timmy but because I feel like these people know more than I do so I take their word for it.

So not to be a caliber snob but there is no place in my present circumstances for a .380 caliber pocket gun. My basic minimum is my glock 26 with a 12 round magazine and one Glock 19 magazine as a reload.

It doesn't matter where I'm going it doesn't matter who I'm with I won't carry less than that (Always assuming it's legal) I'm going to say it again at the risk of sounding offensive but if I really thought that whatever I was getting into was so sketchy that I needed more than that I wouldn't go. I literally would not go.
    SpringerXD likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    There is nowhere I'd rather have a 380 to defend myself than a 9mm.
    Why is it 380 or nothing?
    Work attire, that might limit one to carrying a pocket 380 "best they can do" which was not the case for OP in this thread (or me ever, anymore).
    One can dress as they like when going to the mall (restaurant, movie, shopping, ect...) a Glock 19 size pistol is easy to conceal.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    I never said it was 380 or nothing. I was implying it is personal choice and that if there is a gunfight none of will probably have all the gun we might want. As you say, people can dress like they want and not everyone wants to be a slave to dressing like you want them to so they can cover a larger gun. It is their choice. Why should anyone tell anyone else how they should dress or what they should carry? There are people who would criticize you for "only" carrying a 9mm and not a .40, a .45 or even a 10mm and that's not fair either.
    I didn't tell anyone how to dress.
    I used Glock 19 as my example because the OP went with a 9mm for the mall trip rather than a 380 - and I said 9mm > 380 for me anywhere/everywhere.
    However, I also have a Glock 23 and I carry it rather than the 19, because I prefer 40 over 9mm - but 40 was not an option in the OP.

Some people are unwilling to dress around anything larger than a pocket gun, even when they could. <--- Statement of fact, nothing more, nothing implied.

I asked the question what gun have you carried most in the last 30 days? This past summer and 70% of 200 replies reported they carried bigger than a pocket gun.
    https://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...e-12-a-20.html

When I post that there is nowhere I'd rather defend myself with a 380 than a 9mm most people on here agree, they reported carrying bigger than a 380.
    But for some content to bet their life on a pocket 380 when they could carry something bigger (if they wanted to) they apparently see my post and be like ...

OD* likes this.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

That's true but because an LCP was specifically mentioned that's where my mind went. An LCP is not a handgun I would ever want to shoot if I had arthritis. In fact, my wife owned one and she ended up selling it because she could shoot it because of her arthritis.

She also owned a llama Micromax .380 for several years that she had no problem with
    I had a LCP 380
    Shooting one hand weak hand the LCP 380 was as punishing to shoot as a Kahr PM40; LCP 380 compared to Kahr PM9 the 9mm was more pleasant to shoot, even with +P.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Actually, my reaction to your posts is more like:

Name:  facepalm.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  3.5 KB
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

VIP Member
    I had a LCP 380
    Shooting one hand weak hand the LCP 380 was as punishing to shoot as a Kahr PM40; LCP 380 compared to Kahr PM9 the 9mm was more pleasant to shoot, even with +P.
    No disagreement there. My Kahr P380 and S&W .380 Bodyguard are both much more pleasant to shoot than the LCP. I sold my Kahr PM9 soon after I bought it simply because I saw no practical use for a single stack 9mm with a DAO trigger. Lotsa squeeze, not much juice.
    CDW4ME likes this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Distinguished Member
    "Ask yourself: if you KNEW you were going to actually need a gun before leaving the house, would it be a .380? If the answer is no, then either carry a real gun or stay home."

Sigh. We're gonna do this all again, eh?
    From Ellifritz -- https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/alte...stopping-power

Mike1956 and JD like this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

I want to be careful how I say this because I really don't want to come off as an elitist know it all.

I don't claim to have a lot of training. I consider myself to have a good grasp on the fundamentals.

Having said that, I've been lucky enough to get to talk to and ask questions of a lot of people who do have a lot of training and real world experience.

I'm not sure exactly how to explain this but I have observed the across-the-board with these people there's a (for lack of a better word) basic load that they carry. They don't seem to bounce around with a lot of different guns for different situations.

That's not to say that they don't have different guns for different situations but it seems like the base-line minimum is 10 rounds of 9 mm and at least one reload. In fact I'm almost positive that Tom Givens specifically recommends that you carry no less.

It seems like no matter where they're going they don't go below that base line. So I try to emulate that. Not because I'm Tactical Timmy but because I feel like these people know more than I do so I take their word for it.

So not to be a caliber snob but there is no place in my present circumstances for a .380 caliber pocket gun. My basic minimum is my glock 26 with a 12 round magazine and one Glock 19 magazine as a reload.

It doesn't matter where I'm going it doesn't matter who I'm with I won't carry less than that (Always assuming it's legal) I'm going to say it again at the risk of sounding offensive but if I really thought that whatever I was getting into was so sketchy that I needed more than that I wouldn't go. I literally would not go.
    Well put. The point of carrying a gun is hoping that you never need it. But in that dire circumstance where you do need it, it had better be adequate for the job.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    Well put. The point of carrying a gun is hoping that you never need it. But in that dire circumstance where you do need it, it had better be adequate for the job.
    Personally, I do my best to see to it that I am adequate for the job, regardless of the force multipliers available to me at any particular time.
    Wavygravy likes this.

Well...Then i guess i am doing it wrong with what i carry...Although not a .380 i don't meet your personal standards.
    That's Ok...We all have our own personal standards...Your post was as well spoken as it could be to say .380 is not your cup of tea.
    We all get offended so easy when somebody does not choose the same as we do.
    I carry a 9 and i am not offended by the guy who says....I would never carry less than a caliber that starts with 4.

VIP Member

Those "expert" recommendations are from people who operate under the assumptiion that their audience is so unskilled, untrained and unprepared that "minimums" are even necessary.

I've shown up at advanced handgun classes equipped "only" with 6 or 7+1 single stack Shields. The expert instructors' initial skepticism at my gear choices seemed to disappear after the first few mags are sent downrange.

IMO, it is usually the Indian, and seldom the arrow.
    Wavygravy and CreedDryrot like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    Well...Then i guess i am doing it wrong with what i carry...Although not a .380 i don't meet your personal standards.
    That's Ok...We all have our own personal standards...Your post was as well spoken as it could be to say .380 is not your cup of tea.
    We all get offended so easy when somebody does not choose the same as we do.
    I carry a 9 and i am not offended by the guy who says....I would never carry less than a caliber that starts with 4.
    I think you misread my post because my point isn't that 380 isn't my cup of tea. My point was that I don't have a bunch of different guns for different situations. I have my basic carry gun and 90% of the time that's what I carry regardless of where I'm going. That's one of the reasons that I carry it at home oh, so that if SWMBO send me to Walmart for a gallon of milk I don't have to go put it on. Because what I'm not going to do is grab a little pocket pistol just slip it in my pocket because I'm only going to get a gallon of milk.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Those "expert" recommendations are from people who operate under the assumptiion that their audience is so unskilled, untrained and unprepared that "minimums" are even necessary.
    Except for those experts seem to carry pretty much what they recommend

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links