On My Way To The Mall...

On My Way To The Mall...

This is a discussion on On My Way To The Mall... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was out of town for my youngest daughters twelfth birthday so I promised her that we would go out together and shop for a ...

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree318Likes

Thread: On My Way To The Mall...

On My Way To The Mall...

I was out of town for my youngest daughters twelfth birthday so I promised her that we would go out together and shop for a special present from just me when I got back. So I'm getting ready this morning and I slip my LCP .380 in my pocket and I started to think....I'm going to the mall with my most precious belonging, I need to carry something more substantial. So I grabbed my 9mm, extra mag and my Spyderco. It sucks that we have to think that way but I'm thankful we are able to. Thanks to all of my fellow vets that served and has help to protect our rights!
    "Now go ahead and say something stupid!"

Be polite, be professional but have a plan to kill everyone that you meet. General James "Mad Dog" Mattis USMC

A .380 in your pocket is better than a 45 in your truck.

You'll probably be okay.
    Fizban, Rabbit212 and Holster like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    Good thought process IMHO. The environment and your threat assessment should always drive your choice of carry.
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member
    I'm a strong believer in carrying the most weapon you can safely get away with - when you can shoot it accurately and its reliable.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Are mall thugs more bullet resistant than convenience store thugs? Personally, I would be confident in a firearm/caliber regardless of destination or not carry it--even though I do carry different makes and calibers on any given day. Destination wise, I may carry extra ammo though.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Ex Member
    Good judgement exercised.
    druryj likes this.

Mall thugs aren't more resilient, thugs are thugs. With me, the rationale behind carrying a "more substantial" weapon, as the OP put it, would be based on the different type of threat, he may be faced with, at a mall, vs a convenience store. A higher concentration of people, with many malls declaring themselves as weapon free zones, either openly or within their "Code of Conduct", means if you were to tailor your load out to your destination, that it would be justifiable to up your caliber and/or round count to mitigate the increase in probability, that a larger, better armed attack could take place.
    We don't often hear about mass shootings at convenience stores, because they aren't high occupancy/profile targets. If he were to face a threat at a convenience store, it would likely be one or two "thugs" looking to score some quick cash, smokes, and liquor; as opposed to an attack at a mall or other high profile area, where the objective is body count.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

VIP Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luckydog View Post
    I was out of town for my youngest daughters twelfth birthday so I promised her that we would go out together and shop for a special present from just me when I got back. So I'm getting ready this morning and I slip my LCP .380 in my pocket and I started to think....I'm going to the mall with my most precious belonging, I need to carry something more substantial. So I grabbed my 9mm, extra mag and my Spyderco. It sucks that we have to think that way but I'm thankful we are able to. Thanks to all of my fellow vets that served and has help to protect our rights!
    Reality is often quite uncomfortable, which is why we see such a high concentration of two-legged sheep who are in such denial about the potential dangers that are out there. The consistent theme after a tragic criminal-driven event are the comments that the sheep repeat "We never thought that could happen HERE."

If we cherish the right to keep and bear arms for the safety of our loved ones, we'd better encourage all our like-minded friends to VOTE. We can look at the tragic example of the-once-great state of Virginia and what their Governor is planning to do now that they have a Democratic super-majority.
    OldVet, M1911A1, Mike1956 and 3 others like this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Most malls in the area have gun buster signs.
    Therefore it has been years since I have been to one

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Are mall thugs more bullet resistant than convenience store thugs? Personally, I would be confident in a firearm/caliber regardless of destination or not carry it--even though I do carry different makes and calibers on any given day. Destination wise, I may carry extra ammo though.
    If I thought I had to carry extra ammunition as a specific prerequisite of going anywhere I wouldn't go there
    M1911A1 likes this.

Gotta be honest, I simply do not get this mindset.

But, you do you.
    Rabbit212, G-man* and CreedDryrot like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by aikironin21 View Post
    Mall thugs aren't more resilient, thugs are thugs. With me, the rationale behind carrying a "more substantial" weapon, as the OP put it, would be based on the different type of threat, he may be faced with, at a mall, vs a convenience store. A higher concentration of people, with many malls declaring themselves as weapon free zones, either openly or within their "Code of Conduct", means if you were to tailor your load out to your destination, that it would be justifiable to up your caliber and/or round count to mitigate the increase in probability, that a larger, better armed attack could take place.
    We don't often hear about mass shootings at convenience stores, because they aren't high occupancy/profile targets. If he were to face a threat at a convenience store, it would likely be one or two "thugs" looking to score some quick cash, smokes, and liquor; as opposed to an attack at a mall or other high profile area, where the objective is body count.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Thank you for your response. You said it better than I could.
    "Now go ahead and say something stupid!"

Be polite, be professional but have a plan to kill everyone that you meet. General James "Mad Dog" Mattis USMC

A .380 in your pocket is better than a 45 in your truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    Gotta be honest, I simply do not get this mindset.

But, you do you.
    Could you clarify your statement please ?

VIP Member
    I also adjust caliber based on risk. I don't have to do it much because I don't typically go to an area that isn't low risk (based on areas of town known to be medium to high risk crime areas). As for malls, they are posted where I live. I honestly can't say how many years it has been since I entered ANY mall. If I HAD to guess, I'd say it's been 15+ years.
    msgt/ret and Chaplain Scott like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Your probably just as likely to get shot at any 7-Eleven as you are at any mall in America. IMO.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links