Good take on "Dressing around the gun" - Page 2

Good take on "Dressing around the gun"

This is a discussion on Good take on "Dressing around the gun" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks G-man....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree131Likes

Thread: Good take on "Dressing around the gun"

Thanks G-man.
    G-man* and OD* like this.

My typical attire, untucked shirt or sweatshirt, cargo shorts or pants is conducive to comfort and concealment.
    Mike1956, OD* and Rockymonster like this.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Distinguished Member Array viney266's Avatar
    I think the semantics he is delving into aren't really necessary.

I do see both sides of this.

1.) I work in a gun shop, we sell not only handguns, but holsters, belts, all of it... I can tell you the struggle is real when it comes to folks wanting to carry a mid-sized handgun but they are NOT wearing a belt. Pocket carry is out for a Glock 19, but how can I spread the load and sell you a good holster if you won't wear a belt. Forget a good gun belt like most of us might wear; i am talking ANY BELT. So, we do need to educate folks on WHAT to wear a bit.

2.) We still have folks in the gun industry that think if you carry ANYTHING less than a Glock 34 with a optic and a light, or a full size steel frame 45 you are too undergunned to even own one...

Hey, my daily at work is a 45 acp commander and 2 spare mags, but there are many a day I am walking the dog with a J frame and a speed strip in my pocket. Is it less than optimal? sure is, but it beats the 50 AE in the house/truck... nobody wants to get shot in the face with a 25acp, so while not ideal. They are far from useless (okay maybe not far).

We all need to realize that different people carry different rigs. If you are proficient and train with what you like. I think I like you.
    OD*, forester58, Lone_Gun and 7 others like this.
    Proud NRA Benefactor member, My wife, daughter and son are all life members.
    Gun carry permits and the 2nd amendment only confirm what is a God given right to protect ones life and the lives of loved ones from evil.
    Speed is only a matter of money. How fast do you want to go?

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    A thirty-some pound weight loss has opened many more fashion options for "dressing around the gun". Being able to carry enough gun for the job has seldom been an issue either way.
    OD*, forester58, Militant and 3 others like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Distinguished Member Array Militant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by viney266 View Post
    I think the semantics he is delving into aren't really necessary.
    Yep! I tune that nonsense out like this:

OD*, viney266 and wmhawth like this.
    HK USP Compact .45 stainless HK USP Compact .40 stainless HK USP Compact .45
    HK USP Compact 9mm HK 45c HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk

“A man’s rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box” - Frederick Douglas

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Overthinking things like that give him a headache and an excuse for a shot of bourbon.
    This is a bad thing?
    OldVet likes this.

Distinguished Member Array viney266's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Militant View Post
    Yep! I tune that nonsense out like this:

^^^ Jim Kelly in Enter the Dragon!
    Militant likes this.
    Proud NRA Benefactor member, My wife, daughter and son are all life members.
    Gun carry permits and the 2nd amendment only confirm what is a God given right to protect ones life and the lives of loved ones from evil.
    Speed is only a matter of money. How fast do you want to go?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    A thirty-some pound weight loss has opened many more fashion options for "dressing around the gun". Being able to carry enough gun for the job has seldom been an issue either way.
    Some of us have professions that do not allow, under ANY circumstances, printing. For those of us in that situation, it really is more selecting the weapon that can be carried in the clothing and circumstances and not, as the author of the article in question implies/states, dressing around the weapon. Like some here I carry an LCP in a pocket holster on the job because the the very real problems printing would cause me in my life. When I can afford to not worry about printing I typically carry either a P99 or a P226R.
    G-man*, JD, Marc_Brooks and 2 others like this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Distinguished Member Array Militant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by viney266 View Post
    ^^^ Jim Kelly in Enter the Dragon!
    You got it! He was a bad man!
    viney266 and Rotorflyr like this.
    HK USP Compact .45 stainless HK USP Compact .40 stainless HK USP Compact .45
    HK USP Compact 9mm HK 45c HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk

“A man’s rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box” - Frederick Douglas

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PPS1980 View Post
    Some of us have professions that do not allow, under ANY circumstances, printing. For those of us in that situation, it really is more selecting the weapon that can be carried in the clothing and circumstances and not, as the author of the article in question implies/states, dressing around the weapon. Like some here I carry an LCP in a pocket holster on the job because the the very real problems printing would cause me in my life. When I can afford to not worry about printing I typically carry either a P99 or a P226R.
    No arguments there. When in extreme non-permissive environments, my attire and carry set-up still allow me to carry a .45 Shield, free from worry about detection.
    OD* likes this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    No arguments there. When in extreme non-permissive environments, my attire and carry set-up still allow me to carry a .45 Shield, free from worry about detection.
    I do wish I could carry something more effective in those circumstances but Khakis and a dress shirt with close physical contact with a variety of others only allows unobtrusive pocket carry for me.
    Mike1956 and 1gunsnowbird like this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Distinguished Member Array Rotorflyr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    There's not much in the way of dressing for or around the gun for OV. It's shorts and a T-shirt--possibly a polo or T. Magnum shirt on occasion--and whatever pistol he shoves under his belt. Overthinking things like that give him a headache and an excuse for a shot of bourbon.
    Like you need an excuse.....

Name:  Bourbon_Shot.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  97.0 KB
    OD* likes this.
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

Obvious by the comments a lot of you never bothered to actually read the damned article.

Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    Obvious by the comments a lot of you never bothered to actually read the damned article.
    I did. FWIW, I find that ironically, when posting an article, people are more likely to read it if you summarize it. Then they will dig into it so they can argue about your summary!
    forester58 likes this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

A lot of this makes sense; a fair amount is superfluous. The article itself rings true, but says hardly anything in the process. The comments straighten out a lot. Best advice I can see is "Do what you think best in your situation."

Before I began carrying, I wore jeans and tucked t-shirt, as mentioned above. I selected a full-size Smith and Wesson M&P 40 as my EDC, inside waist band. Didn't need a special belt, or much change in clothing. I buy my pants one size bigger, wear a t-shirt tucked and some other shirt untucked. I do have a tuckable holster for those rare occasions. It's a compromise. I like the FS pistol for the combination of capacity and power. I don't carry extra ammo. I know that's a risk, but how often does a person really need more than 16 shots? (I know, I'll be at a disadvantage if I ever get in a mall shootout.) I'm considering something with less capacity, actually, as the semo-auto seems to be getting heavier as I age.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links