Good take on "Dressing around the gun"

This is a discussion on Good take on "Dressing around the gun" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; https://thesuitedshootist.home.blog/...-needs-to-die/ "At the end of the day what’s more important than anything is that the carrier is aware of not only the realistic performance capabilities ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree131Likes

Thread: Good take on "Dressing around the gun"

https://thesuitedshootist.home.blog/...-needs-to-die/

"At the end of the day what’s more important than anything is that the carrier is aware of not only the realistic performance capabilities of the tools they’ve selected, but of themselves as well. Once you have a good grasp of those two factors, you can work a firearm into your lifestyle accordingly. It will require some adjustment, but it shouldn’t require you to completely reinvent yourself."

Spot on in my opinion.
    OD*, JD, wmhawth and 7 others like this.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Interesting article, thanks for the link.

The one point he tries to convey is meaningless, IMHO, “Dress around the gun” vs “dress for the gun”!
    Most of the folks on this forum that I have read, who work in NPEs, choose the gun best suited for their dress. A good example in my opinion would be @10thmtn , he doesn't "dress for the dual LCPs" he carries them because that's what his dress/environment allows. Two LCPs wouldn't be his best choice for all situations in life (he's stated here before he carries a larger pistol when he can), but for him, they are the best choice for his NPE. Maybe I really am dense, but “Dress around the gun” vs “dress for the gun”! amounts to the same thing.
    forester58, jmf552, JD and 14 others like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post

The one point he tries to convey is meaningless, IMHO, “Dress around the gun” vs “dress for the gun”!
    Most of the folks on this forum that I have read, who work in NPEs, choose the gun best suited for their dress. A good example in my opinion would be @10thmtn , he doesn't "dress for the dual LCPs" he carries them because that's what his dress/environment allows. Two LCPs wouldn't be his best choice for all situations in life (he's stated here before he carries a larger pistol when he can), but for him, they are the best choice for his NPE. Maybe I really am dense, but “Dress around the gun” vs “dress for the gun”! amounts to the same thing.
    I see your point. What I got out of it was some people are always sort of scolding those who don't carry full size "duty" or "fighting guns" because they consider them lazy for not just dressing around the platform. I own and carry a Pico when I cannot dress for something better but, I know full well its limitations and mine using such a tool.
    I agree many of us carry as much as we can and go about our normal daily lives concealed.
    OD*, msgt/ret, G-man* and 3 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I agree with OD, the two phrases are a distinction without a difference. The fact is, most people don't, or can't, carry guns at all and most of the time they are fairly safe. If they have good SA, most of them are very safe.

Someone who carries any gun, in any fashion, especially if they have trained with it, and especially if they have any non-gun defensive capability to augment it, jumps them way up the scale in the ability to defend themselves. After that, it is just a matter of degrees of improvement. It is a reality for me, and I am sure for some other people, that the choice between a larger gun vs a smaller one is the choice between carrying or not. There are a few places I go that I have to deep conceal and I want that to be comfortable.

For a humorous look at this topic, here is Mat Best's take on it:

OD*, wmhawth, forester58 and 4 others like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    I see your point. What I got out of it was some people are always sort of scolding those who don't carry full size "duty" or "fighting guns" because they consider them lazy for not just dressing around the platform. I own and carry a Pico when I cannot dress for something better but, I know full well its limitations and mine using such a tool.
    I agree many of us carry as much as we can and go about our normal daily lives concealed.
    You are certainly correct in that observation.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Nix
    I think I have a slightly different take on that. I pick the firearm that will work with my attire. Probably as @10thmtn does.

What I'm doing on any given day and what I'll need to wear, e.g. T-shirt vs Parka, will dictate to some extent which firearm I'll choose to carry. So I'm more a "carry for the clothing" kinda guy.

.....if we need little catch phrases to work with.......

And, yes, a cleaned up J-frame does go with black tie, thank you very much.

There's not much in the way of dressing for or around the gun for OV. It's shorts and a T-shirt--possibly a polo or T. Magnum shirt on occasion--and whatever pistol he shoves under his belt. Overthinking things like that give him a headache and an excuse for a shot of bourbon.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

His perspective is interesting and has certain truths to it that we see played out here in discussion.

Also, not mentioned directly but alluded to in the article, is that as we evolve as we age and gain experience. Carry guns that were not desirable back in my younger years now show their strengths and vis versa.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Ex Member
    I am with @OldVet on this one. I just do not see the need for such analysis. I. have an EDC. I carry it IWB at 4 o'clock. I wear unticked shirts even in winter with a coat on. Concealability for my body type and size was a factor in gun selection. I carry every day. No one can tell. It is that simple for me.

Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    His perspective is interesting and has certain truths to it that we see played out here in discussion.

Also, not mentioned directly but alluded to in the article, is that as we evolve as we age and gain experience. Carry guns that were not desirable back in my younger years now show their strengths and vis versa.
    Boy, is that the truth. My older self could make my younger self eat a healthy helping of crow.

My last job included working in an office with a dress shirt and tie and also working often alone in very remote wilderness areas. I would drive a 4X4 vehicle as far as possible on jeep trails and then hike in to my destinations. In the office, I pocket carried a small .380.

In the field, I often carried a Glock G20 SF 10mm and two spare magazines on my right hip for potential encounters with survivalist squatters on government land or marijuana farmers. I often carried a 4" S&W 29-2 .44 magnum with two speed loaders on my left hip for potential black bear encounters. The .44 magnum was replaced by a 5" S&W 460 magnum in brown bear and moose territory. I also pocket carried the .380 just in case.

In the office, I carried a gun for my dress. In the field, I dressed around the guns. Now that I am retired, I always dress around the guns.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

VIP Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Making a mountain out of a molehill..........or a guy with a blog looking for something, anything, to say on a slow day.
    OD*, Texas Red, Militant and 2 others like this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    Before EDC I always wore jeans and a tucked Tshirt.
    Now, with full-size or snub at 3:30 EDC, it's Jean's or cargo pants. Tucked undershirt and untucked Tshirt.
    I have no opinion on what, how, or where someone else carries.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    OD*, Rabbit212 and 1gunsnowbird like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post

Most of the folks on this forum that I have read, who work in NPEs, choose the gun best suited for their dress.
    Help me out here, google brings back much info on "NPE" what are you meaning? Thanks
    OD* likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Backpacker57 View Post
    Help me out here, google brings back much info on "NPE" what are you meaning? Thanks
    Non Permissive Environments
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links