Non resident CCW in states without reciprocity

This is a discussion on Non resident CCW in states without reciprocity within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have had my Ohio resident CCW for a few years. I’m a truck driver, and looking at requesting non resident CCW in states I ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Non resident CCW in states without reciprocity

I have had my Ohio resident CCW for a few years. I’m a truck driver, and looking at requesting non resident CCW in states I will be in frequently. Illinois won’t issue, but I can carry in the vehicle. Maryland said I don’t have a good reason. Has anyone been successful in obtaining a non-resident CCW in the non-gun-friendly states?

I have an IL non-resident, but I live in VA, one of the four states they will issue to.

A friend of mine got an MD. He is a handgun instructor and he started offering classes in MD and they accepted that as a valid reason. But I am not sure to what extent he actually gave classes in MD. I don't think very much. He may have also known the right person in LE in MD to approach about it.

That's the problem with may issue. It becomes a purely subjective judgement on the part of local officials.
    ep1953 likes this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Ex Member
    I have PA resident and AZ non resident permits. I can carry with them in all but 11 states. They either do not recognize non resident permits or my PA permit or not any permits but their own. I drive into or through MD several times a year, and I have t lock up my pistol to do that. I could drive from my house in PA to FL and the only place I cannot conceal the pistol is MD. Any state my two permits two permits are. not accepted will no issue the state CCW permit to me

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I know which states I need to break down/lock up the firearm. It’s just a pain. And it does me no good.

Ex Member
    I'm a retired owner operator. When I was trucking, I made a point of staying out of states which don't honor my Ohio CHL. If I had to travel through one, I complied with federal laws regarding transporting a firearm. Sure, it was a pain, but much better than getting nailed in one of the no-issues.
    OD*, 5lima30ret and Brushawg like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I'm a retired owner operator. When I was trucking, I made a point of staying out of states which don't honor my Ohio CHL. If I had to travel through one, I complied with federal laws regarding transporting a firearm. Sure, it was a pain, but much better than getting nailed in one of the no-issues.
    Mike,
    I absolutely comply with state regs. But short of taking the peace officer exam, and become a law enforcement officer, I didn’t know if there was another option

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    I have an IL non-resident, but I live in VA, one of the four states they will issue to.

A friend of mine got an MD. He is a handgun instructor and he started offering classes in MD and they accepted that as a valid reason. But I am not sure to what extent he actually gave classes in MD. I don't think very much. He may have also known the right person in LE in MD to approach about it.

That's the problem with may issue. It becomes a purely subjective judgement on the part of local officials.
    Yep the Progressive States just don't feel your life is valuable enough to be a "valid reason". Sad isn't it when the law abiding citizens life has less value than the criminal. And of course being a Truck Driver never takes one into questionable neighborhoods or situations?

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohioman1972 View Post
    Mike,
    I absolutely comply with state regs. But short of taking the peace officer exam, and become a law enforcement officer, I didnít know if there was another option
    When I traveled through hostile territory, the carry guns were unloaded and locked in one safe, the mags and ammo in another.

Quote Originally Posted by pskys2 View Post
    Yep the Progressive States just don't feel your life is valuable enough to be a "valid reason". Sad isn't it when the law abiding citizens life has less value than the criminal. And of course being a Truck Driver never takes one into questionable neighborhoods or situations?
    I would put a different spin on it. To the progressive way of thinking, it is not a lack of value judgement about law abiding citizens, per se, it is more about putting them in their place, their appropriate role in the social order set up by the state. A law abiding citizen is not seen as being competent or authorized to safely keep and bear the tools to protect his or her own life and that of their loved ones. And law abiding citizens can be a danger to society and the state if they have such tools.

So on balance, letting law abiding citizens have guns is not seen as a good thing. I think they see it as it would be better that a few law abiding citizens lost their lives to criminals than take the chance that they might become criminals themselves or challenge the state. Honestly, I don't think they care one way or another about the value of citizens' lives, unless it is a citizen in a protected group that fits the progressive narrative.

The irony is that once progressives get in power, those who supported them will get a shock that the new order will no longer care about them either, no matter who they are.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

flh
    Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    I have PA resident and AZ non resident permits. I can carry with them in all but 11 states. They either do not recognize non resident permits or my PA permit or not any permits but their own. I drive into or through MD several times a year, and I have t lock up my pistol to do that. I could drive from my house in PA to FL and the only place I cannot conceal the pistol is MD. Any state my two permits two permits are. not accepted will no issue the state CCW permit to me
    Do you avoid South Carolina ?

https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_c...city_maps.html

If it is ever your misfortune to be attacked, alertness will have given you a little warning, decisiveness will have given you a proper course to pursue, and if that course is to counterattack, carry it out with everything you've got! Be indignant. Be angry. Be aggressive.

Jeff Cooper

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    With your Ohio Permit covering most states you can Pick up Minnesota by either getting a Minnesota Non-Resident permit or a North Dakota or Idaho Enhanced to gain Minnesota. About the only way you can pick up MN. You would just about have to go to one of those 3 states to apply and take a class.

You can get a Connecticut Permit by mail. Though CT is a May Issue state they are almost totally Shall Issue if you meet all the requirements. You can get the CT by mail.
    DC is now shall issue but it is a big maze to traverse to get thru it and you have to make appoints etc to get things done and it takes more than one trip I am hearing.

You can also apply for a Massachusetts Non-Resident permit but they cost a lot of money and are only good for 1 year and you will most likely only get a restricted permit.
    It is almost impossible for you to become legal in OR, CA,IL NY, MD, NJ, RI AND MA. So DC, MN and CT can be obtained but it will take time and money.

You can find more info on Non-Resident permits at my website Handgunlaw.us and click on the state initials on the main page map you want info about and in the left column there is a file for info on all the states that issue to non-residents. If you have any questions just click on Contact Us at the bottom of the main page at Handgunlaw.us and I will see that email and try to give you an answer or point you in the direction to find an answer.

Where in Ohio? I live in New Martinsville just across the river from Ohio in WV.
    Rock and Glock and Haywood like this.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Quote Originally Posted by flh
    Do you avoid South Carolina ?
    I can't believe that South Carolina is supposed to be gun friendly state, but they won't issue a non-resident permit unless you own property there.
    flh likes this.

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flh View Post
    No. SC does not honor my PA permit but ti does honor my AZ permit.

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    1942bull Sorry to inform you but SC does not honor your AZ non-resident. SC does not honor any non-resident permits but only resident permits from the states it honors. You can keep a loaded handgun in your glove box or center console. They don't have to be locked.
    Smitty901 likes this.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

flh
    Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    No. SC does not honor my PA permit but ti does honor my AZ permit.
    Arizona non-resident

Permit(s) Not Honored In:
    California, Colorado, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Florida, Guam, Hawaii, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Virgin Islands, Washington, American Samoa, N. Mariana Islands

If it is ever your misfortune to be attacked, alertness will have given you a little warning, decisiveness will have given you a proper course to pursue, and if that course is to counterattack, carry it out with everything you've got! Be indignant. Be angry. Be aggressive.

Jeff Cooper

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links