Defensive Carry banner

How do I learn to shoot without buying a .22?

3K views 31 replies 28 participants last post by  BillG174 
#1 ·
Backstory:
I want to buy a gun. I've shot guns before, but never enough to develop habits, good or bad. I read pretty much everywhere that you should start with a .22 rifle, then a .22 revolver, then a centerfire pistol, so as not to get into bad habits with recoil anticipation. I am a young married guy working my way through school and cant afford more than 1 gun right now, and the belt/holster/carry permit to go with it.

The actual question:
How can I buy a 9mm and not get into bad habits anticipating recoil? Tons of dry fire practice is the only thing that comes to mind. What other things could I do to learn to shoot well without having to buy a .22?

#2 ·
I have taught many, many females who have never fired a weapon before how to shoot without recoil anticipation with a 9mm or 38 spl service revolver, so sir, you can learn also.

My advice will be to find someone who is a teacher, and not just an instructor to work with you.
That is the shortest route to quick success.

#4 ·
...My advice will be to find someone who is a teacher, and not just an instructor to work with you.
That is the shortest route to quick success.
That's excellent advice!

Your learning regimen should include a lot of preparatory dry-fire (no ammunition) practice, during which you should be supervised in learning grip technique, sight-picture maintenance, and index-finger isolation.
You don't need to know what those things are yet, as long as your chosen teacher does. So ask, and critically consider the clarity of the teacher's explanation.

#5 ·
You dont need to buy 3 rimfire guns before buying a centerfire gun. There is nothing wrong with buying a 9mm for your first gun. First handgun I ever shot was a 9mm and first I ever bought was a .45. It sounds like you are wanting a carry gun, and are on a tight budget. Id say look into the gun you want to buy to carry, maybe rent some guns at the range, see what you like, and buy one, then take a pistol class. No use in buying a .22 if its going to prevent you from buying a gun that you can carry, and learning how to use it.

#6 ·
I learned to shoot a .45 1911 by my father in my teens.
You do not need to start with a .22 to learn to shoot a handgun effectively.
On a small budget get what you think you need to carry for your defense.
As you start making more money you can then add more ponies to the stable

#7 ·
I agree that you should find a source of good instruction. There are good basic firearms courses that teach the basics in a classroom and then familiarize you with firing a pistol or a rifle. There are also personal trainers but they are likely to be more expensive.

I want to address that beginners should state with low caliber guns when they first learn. Learning to control a 22 is not learning to control a larger caliber. If you want to have a 9mm pistol, learn to shoot a 9mm from the getgo. Every year thousands of people join the military. They go through the same sequence of training that I did 60 years ago. First hours in the classroom, then hours learning to disassemble, clean, and reassemble the weapon you will be shooting. Then dry fire practice of stance, grip, sighting, etc. Then finally supervised live fire training with personal instruction when necessary, and everybody needs some for different reasons. Once you have that down you actually get to shoot without someone looking over your shoulder.

Now here is the thing. That training begins with the standard rifle or pistol in use at that time. There is no graduated caliber learning/shooting there. You learn on the weapon you will use. Every year thousands of mean women learn to shoot that and they succeed.

Find a good instructor or course of instruction. If you let people on the Forum know where you are from and ask for recommendations you might just get some good ones. And do know that you can get basic training at many local ranges where you can rent a gun while learning the basics.

#9 ·
Good advice has been offered and most support your desire to start with a 9mm. I would offer a suggestion for consideration as you look for a 9mm if you choose to go this route. It will be easier to learn to shoot if you choose a pistol that is not a super small one. Larger pistols are easier for most persons to learn to shoot. A Glock M19 or S&W M&P Compact are easily concealable for most persons with the right belt and holster. The larger pistol makes the recoil easier to deal with learning. The longer sight radius and longer grip make shooting easier, too.

#13 ·
I saw a Senior Chief Navy Small Arms Marksmanship Instructor (SAMI) take a petite female ensign who had never fired a gun before and got her to qual as an Expert with a standard issue .45 1911, with just one hour or training and dry fire, using the pencil technique. The first live fire she ever did was the qual. He got me to qual Expert the same way, but I had been shooting for a while.

I'm surprised that technique has fallen out of favor, but I've heard the SEALs still use it.

#14 ·
I read pretty much everywhere that you should start with a .22 rifle, then a .22 revolver, then a centerfire pistol, so as not to get into bad habits with recoil anticipation.
What you read is very good advice when you are ready to start teaching your 6 or 7 year old how to shoot. It is silly, useless, advice for adults.

Do what @G-man* says. You'll be fine.

#16 ·
When you look at 9mm pistols, see if there an airsoft/pellet analog of your choice.

Sig, for example, has pellet pistol copies of the P226/229’s as well as their P320’s/M17 pistols.

#17 ·
One thing to consider is that you can buy a 9mm platform, then get a .22 rimfire conversion kit for it. An example would be a Kimber, who manufacturers both 1911s and the rimfire kits. You can change calibers in about 1 minute. This way you can shoot both cartridges out of the same platform, so you’re just learning on one gun, not two different guns

#18 ·
You could certainly do a lot worse than a 9mm for a first pistol. I started with a snub nose .357 magnum revolver in double action only. I did have a lot of fun with that little gun but looking back I could have gone with a .38 and been just fine. When it comes to learning how to shoot pistols, larger is easier. The larger the pistol the easier it is to shoot well. This goes against the philosophy of carry guns as they tend to be small in size for better concealment. My suggestion would be to pick a 9mm in the larger sub compact to smaller compact size class. Something around the size of a Glock 19 or Glock 48. I only mention Glock in those sizes because most people are familiar with them. Depending on your budget there are lots of quality 9mm pistols out there. There is a screaming deal on S&W Shield 9mm pistols right now and they are offering a rebate. Palmetto State Armory has them advertised for around $249 before the rebate. They are good quality guns for a very reasonable price. Keep your eyes open and you will find something that meets your needs. I agree with finding somebody that is a teacher for learning how to shoot. You will usually find those types volunteering their time at shooting events like NRA Women on Target.

Reactions: Old Man
#20 ·
Good holster, good GUN BELT, and you shouldn't have a problem with the weight. I recently started carrying a 9mm Colt competition series. Once I found the right position on the belt the weight was not a problem. I had to come forward from the M&P9c's location.

#23 ·
I’ve never owned a 22 pistol, and only shortly owned a 22 rifle, after learning how to shoot on other center fire guns.

My advice is buy the gun you want to use. If you’re planning to concealed carry, buy the gun you want to carry and learn to shoot with that. I suggest anyone’s first gun being a defensive handgun, usually a semi auto. Mine was a Glock 19. It served me well. The first rifle that I spent time with and learned how to shoot a rifle on was my WASR AK47.

Don’t worry about anticipating recoil. You will learn how to mitigate that regardless of what you shoot, within reason. Obviously a snub nose airweight with 357 magnums, you’re going to develop a massive flinch. But with a regular 9mm? You should be good to go. Just buy a case or two of ammo and get some good training.

#28 ·
For a first gun , that you are going to carry, you are just going to have to settle your self that there are some compromises between the best carry gun and the best first gun.

For a best first gun I would want it to have a full sized grip, good sized sights, and a longer sight radius. a little extra weight would not be bad either. [ it helps tame recoil].
My best carry gun has none of those things. It has a short little grip, almost no sights, and less than a 2" barrel. All those things make it easier to carry, Not easier to shoot.

The smallest gun I would get to learn on would be S&W Shield size, Or Ruger SP101 sized [with a 3" barrel.] You could do very well with a Glock 19, or similar sized guns. and still be carry sized. Right now on the used market Beretta has their Cheeta. It's a .32 that was bought back from a police department [probably in South America]. The price is right, they are larger than a pocket gun, but the down side is .32 ammo is expensive.
Or a Star BM in 9mm, Both are under $200, Both were guns carried by both Military and police, Both would leave you with money to buy ammo! And a lesson or two in safety, gun handling, and marksmanship.
https://www.jgsales.com/star-bm,-9m...auto-pistol,-good,-blued,-used.-p-101051.html

Good Luck with what ever you pick. DR

#29 ·
Here’s the problem:

We can no more tell you what gun to buy than to tell you what vehicle to buy. Too many makes and models.

As a full grown adult, you CAN run the cartridge of your choosing, be it a 9, 40, or 45. A 22 is hardly a requirement to get you started. Redundant.

If you want to run a 1911 chambered for 9mm, get one, the one you want. Get a proper holster, belt, ammo, and a few extra magazines.

Then find a guy (the RIGHT guy) to show you how to run it. Not the arrogant know-it-all one typically encounters at the range. There are many who have the skill and patience to show you the way. They are all to happy to help you out. Finding one isn’t hard. They’ll listen more than they’ll speak.

A 22 is a useful, enjoyable round. But not mandatory in your position.

As G-Man advised, the teacher will have you running in short order.

#30 ·
The worst thing you could get for a first gun is some dinky pocket pistol. They are difficult for experienced shooters to aim and operate. I would recommend a pistol large enough to fill your hand and point naturally. A longer barrel will have a longer sight radius and make things easier to hold steady. Then you are in the boat of having to buy that slick and sexy micro James Bond gun. Might as well have bought that .22 to begin with.

You are looking at a mid sized pistol. That could be ok, depending on how it fits you. Lighter means more recoil. I really don't notice a few...several ounces on a good belt. So, how to become more proficient?

Yes, find a good instructor. And then dry fire. Get snap caps (I like A-zoom). Practice, practice, practice everything you learn from your instructor. Drill, drill, drill everything, except for recoil with dry fire. Dry fire will get all of your fundamentals down (and it's free). Then take it to the range to learn recoil management.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.