Change seems to be happening

This is a discussion on Change seems to be happening within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I shot IDPA for a number of years with Glock 34 and 1911. Today at 76 I find myself leaving the house with a LCR ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Change seems to be happening

I shot IDPA for a number of years with Glock 34 and 1911. Today at 76 I find myself leaving the house with a LCR 9mm 5 shot revolver and a full moon clip reload. I have shot several thousand dry fire sessions with reloads. If I knew I was going to a gun fight, nope would take sumpin else. If it is a 3shot, 3 second, 3 yard street fight I do not feel under gunned. This is way different than it used to be. I left the house with a Glock g20 and extra mag.

Hmmm

Were your pants drooping?
    Melvin and gatorbait51 like this.

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustytxrx View Post
    I shot IDPA for a number of years with Glock 34 and 1911. Today at 76 I find myself leaving the house with a LCR 9mm 5 shot revolver and a full moon clip reload. I have shot several thousand dry fire sessions with reloads. If I knew I was going to a gun fight, nope would take sumpin else. If it is a 3shot, 3 second, 3 yard street fight I do not feel under gunned. This is way different than it used to be. I left the house with a Glock g20 and extra mag.

Hmmm
    Heck for at least 10 hours a day I leave the house with nothing but a pocket knife and I feel fine. Work.
    GraySkies and gatorbait51 like this.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Well I did go from 203# to 170# had to buy new gun belts. It one point I had a hard time getting a round the block. Had aortic valve replaced now doing 4 mile walk daily. About two miles along the river. I have had coyotes close enough to me I pulled my LCR 9mm which has first round under hammer #4 rat shot and peppered them. This happed twice, now they give me a wide birth. The area is Trinity River damage and has houses 1/2 mile away. Thst is to close for me. Both times I reported the shots to local PD. They suggested I kill them. I just do not feel save shoot a two barrel at something 15 yards away when I am not sure where that 124 gr HST is going.
    gatorbait51 and Nmuskier like this.

I did get the long 3 finger grip. Which I think is really funky looking but shoots great. Some how it helps control that DAO trigger.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Change seems to be happening-677b8b83-7205-4326-a7f5-59f11742f710.jpeg  

Well this particular stretch there is been a number of mugging sat gun or knife point. I person was killed with a machete. Two people have been attacked by coyotes. I feel a defensive weapon is prudent,
    gatorbait51 and ETXhiker like this.

VIP Member
    I find at 66 weight and comfort are taking precedent. I started in my youth with a Colt Cobra. That evolved into an officer 1911, to a Kahr CM9, to a Sig P938, to a Sig P365. But more often than not I find myself with a Kahy P380 in my strong side front pocket. I live in a very low crime area and seldom venture out to areas that are not low crime or after dark. When I do though I carry the P365 IWB with one 12 round reload. We all adapt to our personal safety situations, and one size certainly doesn't fit all.

As someone said, the only constant is change.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

I've kind of went the opposite direction, my carry guns have gotten bigger as I have aged.

Twenty some years ago, I was carrying a Kahr MK9. Now, I lean toward medium sized handguns and sometimes, even full size. I shoot them much better than the smaller guns, and feel more confident with them.

Not having to dress for a work day helps; I wear what I want when I want.
    gatorbait51 and Tstone like this.

I have CC revolvers . But when you can have a small to mid size LC9S Striker fired semi auto 7+1 that is very slim and light . Why other than you want to carry the revolver. Nothing wrong with what ever someone Carriers long as it works for them.
    BamaT, gatorbait51 and bill35738 like this.
    Yes Taurus really does suck. But in fairness they sure turned it around fast on warranty repair. Time will tell

Distinguished Member
    I can now wear about any gun I want to most of the time. Retired from the day job, just night music gigs when I must deep conceal. That said, I'm just not willing to put up with a big service size pistol due to weight and general hassle. Have a fine Beretta M9a3 and a couple of honkin' stainless .357 revolvers sitting right here. A good reliable subcompact 9mm or a good reliable .380 that I have learned to shoot well even in situations unlikely to occur is all I want/need for concealed carry. If it ain't enough, I'm sunk anyway. Others will have different wants and needs. That's cool if it's cool with everyone else....
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

"Change seems to be happening."

I change from day to day. Today I'm carrying a 15 ounce (loaded) 5 shot revolver, tomorrow I might carry a 40 ounce (loaded) 16 shot pistol. Yesterday I carried a 35 ounce (loaded) 5 shot revolver.

I have a lot of different guns in my carry rotation and I just carry whatever I'm in the mood for on any particular day. Life is good!🙂
    BamaT and gatorbait51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rlggray View Post
    "Change seems to be happening."

I change from day to day. Today I'm carrying a 15 ounce (loaded) 5 shot revolver, tomorrow I might carry a 40 ounce (loaded) 16 shot pistol. Yesterday I carried a 35 ounce (loaded) 5 shot revolver.

I have a lot of different guns in my carry rotation and I just carry whatever I'm in the mood for on any particular day. Life is good!🙂
    Are you carrying a gun for self defense or as a fashion accessory?
    gatorbait51 and bill35738 like this.

My carry guns haven't gotten smaller necessarily but they have gotten lighter

I started with a CZ75B, then a S&W 4006, then a S&W 6906, then an M&P9, then a Glock19 and finally a Glock 26. All but 2 if those would be considered "full sized" but plastic is lighter than steel
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    Are you carrying a gun for self defense or as a fashion accessory?
    Nothing wrong with a usable, effective fashion statement, especially if it works as well as an ugly one.
    Wavygravy, gatorbait51 and Tstone like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    Nothing wrong with a usable, effective fashion statement, especially if it works as well as an ugly one.
    Let try saying this a different way.

IMO carrying different types of guns (TDA/SAO/SFA/DAO) at random is a bad idea. Also IMO deciding what gun to carry based on a whim is also a bad idea.

YMM (and very likely does) V
    gatorbait51 and bill35738 like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links