Question:defending from the car - Page 3

Question:defending from the car

This is a discussion on Question:defending from the car within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't think finding the right method of carry would be a problem for a lefty but shooting effectively from what seems an awkward position ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree109Likes

Thread: Question:defending from the car

I don't think finding the right method of carry would be a problem for a lefty but shooting effectively from what seems an awkward position for a lefty in a car could be a challenge. After thinking on this a bit I think LimaCharlie has the best answer to the question.
    Rockymonster likes this.

If you can drive, drive, if you can't fight.

It's going to depend on what the threat is doing/their tactics. If you can't drive away, the seat belt needs to come off. For instance if they are coming in your window, unbuckle, twist in your seat so your feet are on the door, push off to create distance while firing.

You really need to attend a vehicle class, there are a ton of tactics you will learn. A great one most "normal" folks don't know about is being able to engage threats all around the car while not flagging passengers, jam the muzzle into the roof, orient yourself to the treat, point the weapon in the direction of the fight.
    Militant, M1911A1 and airslot like this.
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

I'm ambidextrous, so don't really have a handle on this strong/weak thing.
    Do most of you find shooting strong side to be easier than weak side?

That said, for shooting out the driver's side, I would choose to shoot right handed because of the geometry.
    M1911A1 and matthew03 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array Militant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northnick View Post
    I am a left handed shooter. I carry IWB about 7:30. Was thinking about how I would draw and shoot if attacked while in the drivers seat. Any advice?
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I wanted to read the entire thread to see some of the responses you'd get from our righthanded DC brothers before I responded. Ummm, don't listen to them! As a lefty myself, I'll take it from here!

I'm extremely lefty dominant with my eye, shooting, swinging a bat etc. But I trained myself to be able to shoot with my weak hand as well. Here's the thing; the drivers side doesn't hinder you as much as you or as right hand people would want you to think. There are wonderful techniques that we lefties can use to fire from the drivers position. Remember, practice and training is the key! Just because we're in a "right-world," we can still do it the "lefty-way." Here's a video that demonstrates that:

HK USP Compact .45 stainless HK USP Compact .40 stainless HK USP Compact .45
    HK USP Compact 9mm HK 45c HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk

“A man’s rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box” - Frederick Douglas

Quote Originally Posted by JimCunn View Post
    I'm ambidextrous, so don't really have a handle on this strong/weak thing.
    Do most of you find shooting strong side to be easier than weak side?

That said, for shooting out the driver's side, I would choose to shoot right handed because of the geometry.
    No, Ambi here, also. I also do a lot of practice reps single hand, both strong and offside only, (draw stroke from concealment, reloads, single hand malfunction clearance, etc).
    I took a class last year with a can of spray paint duct taped to my strong hand to force me to do everything off hand.

The theory behind having to do that is in a gunfight there are a lot of wounds to hands/arms because people are focusing on the threat, which is the weapon in your hand. May not be a skill you ever need, but then again most of what we are doing are low percentage threat engagement.

Get the gun into the hand that can best make the shot. To be proficient at this you have to be able to shoot ambi and be comfortable with that.
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

That video convinced me to shoot right handed if shooting out the driver's side window 🙂

Distinguished Member Array Militant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimCunn View Post
    That video convinced me to shoot right handed if shooting out the driver's side window 🙂
    Interesting. Cause that video convinced me to shoot lefthanded if shooting out the driver's side window. But then again, I'm a lefty rebel with a cause!
    matthew03 likes this.
    HK USP Compact .45 stainless HK USP Compact .40 stainless HK USP Compact .45
    HK USP Compact 9mm HK 45c HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk

“A man’s rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box” - Frederick Douglas

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    Not ideal, but a car pistol and practice weak side shooting. As always, excape is first option, but now always readily available, especially if boxed in by traffic.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by stukinNY View Post
    In an ideal world, An AR pistol between the front seats.

Question:defending from the car-shorty-forty.jpg
    airslot, matthew03 and stukinNY like this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

I will simply offer my personal attitude about it:

I accept that there will always be certain conditions in life the will undoubtedly impede the process of fighting with a gun. Unfortunately, there may not always be a lot we can do about it. A person can run themselves ragged in a effort to maximize every single self defense plan in every single conceivable situation, OR.. they can settle for being reasonably thoughtful about it and move on.

In your situation, you can either wear the gun differently, designate a separate weapon "off body" or practice the traditional "tootsie-roll" into the passenger seat and pull your weapon during that maneuver.

Personally, I have a second gun that is wedged in between the seats of my truck. If I happen to be in the sedan, it will have to be the gun on my person. I am also left handed and will simply get the dang gun if I need it. I don't do any hand wringing over the subject. Fighting from inside a car has plenty of drawbacks, I accept that. I am a certainly a proponent of following personal safety rules but if I need to get a gun into action, I may skirt the rules in favor of critically needed "time". If others want to adhere strictly to one kabuki dance or another.. they can, I will simply do what I must do to exploit conditions in my favor.
    Last edited by Fizban; December 19th, 2019 at 01:21 PM.
    Bad Bob, matthew03 and Rotorflyr like this.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

"I don't do any hand wringing over the subject".

Well said.
    I don't really get this strong side, weak side thing.

The only scenario I can think of would be a car jacking and your gun is on the outside. My 2010 Ford the door locks once I start moving. My 72 Dodge Redneck mobile is car jacker repellent.
    matthew03 and Militant like this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

I tend to practice like the video linked above.
    Militant likes this.

Thanks for all you advice and help. It was a big help.

Merry Christmas’s to all!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First thing is, you gotta train for this. There is more to it than just, "I'll just pull my gun out and bang".
    Take a look at this vid from Craig Douglas.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links