Lib Sheriff gets owned, loses control of county shooting range

This is a discussion on Lib Sheriff gets owned, loses control of county shooting range within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sheriff Baker also declines to cooperate with ICE. Karma has a way of balancing things. Raleigh, NC - Wake County will take control of the ...

Like Tree47Likes
  • 9 Post By scottync
  • 8 Post By msgt/ret
  • 3 Post By PPS1980
  • 8 Post By scottync
  • 3 Post By Melvin
  • 4 Post By msgt/ret
  • 3 Post By scottync
  • 6 Post By KILTED COWBOY
  • 1 Post By GpTom
  • 2 Post By sparkyfender

Thread: Lib Sheriff gets owned, loses control of county shooting range

Sheriff Baker also declines to cooperate with ICE. Karma has a way of balancing things.

Lib Sheriff gets owned, loses control of county shooting range-wake-county-shooting-range.jpg

Raleigh, NC - Wake County will take control of the county’s firearms training center away from the Wake County Sheriff’s Office.

The county will determine the “appropriate balance of use between the public and law enforcement,” according to a memo sent to Sheriff Gerald Baker Friday afternoon from Wake County Manager David Ellis.

“We will work with you and your staff on a transition plan to ensure law enforcement has the appropriate use of and continued access to this facility for training purposes,” the memo said.

The Sheriff’s Office abruptly ended its contract with Range Safety Management (RSM) because of the company’s “lack of profitability” and cash handling concerns, according to a Wednesday news release from the Sheriff’s Office. RSM manages the part of the center that is open to the public.

More than 5,000 people signed a petition to keep the center open to the public.

Moving too quickly?

The chairman of the Wake County commissioners says Sheriff Gerald Baker acted too hastily in announcing a plan to close the county’s firearms training center to the public.

“It’s important to note that the county owns the facility, and the Sheriff’s Office operates it,” Commissioner Greg Ford said in a statement late Wednesday. “Based on this joint partnership, it’s reasonable to assume that we would reach an agreement on a decision of this magnitude together before making an announcement. That was not the case (Wednesday).”

There was a 2008 agreement between the county and the Sheriff’s Office stating the sheriff would oversee the management of the firearms center even though the county owns the property. Friday’s memo states the county will now oversee the management of the center.

“The Sheriff’s Office is, essentially, a tenant of the building the county owns and given the tenant has canceled the contract with the vendor, and is not acting in good faith as a partner with the county as intended, we are reviewing all options,” Ford said Wednesday.
    The Sheriff’s Office had agreed to honor classes for the public through Jan. 5.

“It is never helpful when you are in a relationship or partnership and one party is making a significant decision and not letting the other member of that relationship know about it in advance or even discussing it with us before making an announcement,” Ford said. “This is not about party or politics, this is about public service.”

Conflicting statements

The Sheriff’s Office’s news release stated county staff “agreed with the decision, after reviewing what amounted to a lack of financial stability, resulting in the sheriff’s office subsidizing the private company’s sustainability, for the past seven years,” according to a WCSO memo.

Ford said that is not true.

“The sheriff’s statement clearly says there was collaboration between his office and Wake County government staff and that is, unfortunately, not the case,” he said.

No Wake County staff members who “would normally be involved” were contacted or knew closing the center to the public was a possibility, Ford said.

In a phone call Thursday, sheriff’s spokesperson Eric Curry said the statement’s reference to “the decision” that county staff had agreed to was actually about the county’s awareness of the financial concerns.

“In the statement, it was (that) the county staff was aware of the accounting inconsistencies, but in regard to the decision making, (the) decision of canceling the contract was solely the sheriff’s,” Curry said.

When asked if county staff knew the center would be closed to the public before the news release was sent out, Curry said the sheriff made the decision with input from his senior staff and staff members at the training center, but he wasn’t sure whom Baker spoke with.

Ford also called the “findings” about handling money insignificant.

Hopefully he will be a one term Sheriff.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

VIP Member
    Glad to see the County Commission staff are on top of things. Sad that the Sheriff is apparently lying and making unilateral decisions about property his department doesn't own. Hmmm....perhaps that says something about him more broadly?
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Hopefully he will be a one term Sheriff.
    Hope so. His predecessor was a straight shooter. The city of Raleigh has had shootings almost everyday lately. Not so under the previous sheriff (Donnie Harrison) who was a law and order guy that didn't pander to his voters. I dread going into the downtown area.

Here is Sheriff Baker.
    All I can say is DEMOCRAT!
    You got the cancer you voted for.
    When will the people learn?
    Probably NEVER!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lib Sheriff gets owned, loses control of county shooting range-wake.jpg  

U.S. Army Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by scottync View Post
    Hope so. His predecessor was a straight shooter. The city of Raleigh has had shootings almost everyday lately. Not so under the previous sheriff (Donnie Harrison) who was a law and order guy that didn't pander to his voters. I dread going into the downtown area.
    Met Sheriff Harrison at the Dixie Gun and Knife show a few years ago, very nice guy.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Met Sheriff Harrison at the Dixie Gun and Knife show a few years ago, very nice guy.
    I didn't agree with Harrison on everything, but I admired him. I qualified for CCW at this range years ago while he was still Sheriff. Now that I'm out in the country, I just practice out back. This range is over an hour from me.
    OD*, msgt/ret and GpTom like this.

VIP Member
    Hope the county makes a successful transition.
    Hope the sheriff is a one and done guy.
    Get out and vote at every election no matter how small.

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar
    A couple of years ago they had a big news item in the Kankakee Il. news paper about a shooting range that was going to open soon. The story made it sound like the range would be open to the public.
    This range was built in a building behind a farm house and shared the driveway beside the house as far as the gate in the back.
    So after the range was built I drove up the driveway and was reading the signs on the gate when a voice from a window in the farm house asked me if I belonged to law enforcement. I told them no that I wanted to see what was available at the range. They told me that the range was for law enforcement use only.
    I felt a little intimidated by their attitude but then I realized that it was their fault for making it sound like they were advertising to the public with the article in the newspaper.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Another elitist wielding their power over the lowly serfs. No training for the common man at his taxpayer funded facility. Luckily, he was called on his b.s. Sadly, that is so often not the case these days.
    PPS1980 and msgt/ret like this.

When I lived in Natrona county, Wyoming back in the day when the Sheriff there refused to allow concealed carry. I loved it when State Law Enforcement gave him the choice of resigning or being prosecuted for multiple State Law Criminal Violations. Personally, I wish "they" would have persecuted him rather than let him resign. He and I did not like each other because he refused to follow the law and his sworn oath. Anyone really interested can figure out who I am referring to.

Sponsored Links