Travelling with weapons.

Travelling with weapons.

This is a discussion on Travelling with weapons. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife and I are driving to New Jersey the 25th. My research has shown me NJ is a "no way" state for a Kansas ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: Travelling with weapons.

Travelling with weapons.

My wife and I are driving to New Jersey the 25th. My research has shown me NJ is a "no way" state for a Kansas resident, (or almost anyone". I'm hesitant to leave everything home.
    Does anybody have any ideas where I could lock them up before entering the state, and retrieving them when leaving? Something similar to a safe deposit box besides a bank.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Senior Moderator

Exclamation NOT in NJ

Find a LGS to drop a pistol off at "for cleaning" BEFORE ENTERING NJ and pick it up on the way home AFTER LEAVING NJ. Draconian, yes. For a reason.

Do not enter NJ with any firearms OR ammunition.

Hollowpoints equal a jail sentence.

Handgunlaw.us

You can probably find a LGS or gunsmith in PA easily enough.

Welcome to Defensive Carry! It's been awhile since I was in Moundridge. Nice part of the country!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by luke611 View Post
    My wife and I are driving to New Jersey the 25th. My research has shown me NJ is a "no way" state for a Kansas resident, (or almost anyone". I'm hesitant to leave everything home.
    Does anybody have any ideas where I could lock them up before entering the state, and retrieving them when leaving? Something similar to a safe deposit box besides a bank.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    Federal law applies. Lock them in a case ammo separate and both out of reach of the occupants you are good to go. Do your research.
    Yes Taurus really does suck. But in fairness they sure turned it around fast on warranty repair. Time will tell

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Federal law applies. Lock them in a case ammo separate and both out of reach of the occupants you are good to go. Do your research.
    Not if your destination is New Jersey. If you are transporting through New Jersey, with no stops in New Jersey, then it is supposed to, but in practice, New Jersey has been known to enforce their laws anyway. I have the same issue going to see my daughter in Maryland. I leave the gun at home, since my destination is Maryland.

Handgunlaw.us is a great resource.

Senior Moderator
    This is incorrect if your destination is in NJ.

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

NJ will arrest you even if you are in compliance with federal law. You will eventually win in court, after spending thousands on lawyers. You may or may not ever get your gun back.
    retired badge 1 and Haywood like this.

VIP Member
    A friend of mine worried about his flight being re-routed to NJ and had to stay overnight before getting a flight out. He said that he wouldn't pick up the gun and just let them forward to his actual destination (if it ever makes it). I don't know if that's a good "option" though. What would be the correct way to deal with such a situation if it were to happen? He has driven to NJ, also, but he finds a PA LGS to drop his gun(s) off for cleaning. He also said that if you inadvertently crossed into NJ with a gun and ammo that you hope you don't get stopped for any reason. He said the NJ state police wait for people to turn around at the next exit after entering NJ because it's a good indicator that you probably are carrying contraband.
    Microwave technicians are fully deviated.

Member SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    This is incorrect if your destination is in NJ.
    So NJ now over rides federal law
    Yes Taurus really does suck. But in fairness they sure turned it around fast on warranty repair. Time will tell

No, that federal law applies to travel "through" other states which are not your final destination, not "to" other states that are.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

No, they don't. But as other posters have mentioned it will cost you THOUSANDS of dollars to prove it.

Senior Member Array retired badge 1's Avatar
    Being right is one thing. Being the subject of a test case is just expensive and disruptive in your life (do you carry a bail bondsman and defense lawyer with you when you travel?).

I have a 29 year old grand-daughter in New Jersey. I love her absolutely. I will gladly pay her way to come and visit me, but I will not go there to visit her, and I am a retired cop with LEOSA/SB-218 carry privileges nationwide (that New Jersey and some other places tend to ignore, just like they ignore federal law applying to those transiting through NJ with lawfully owned firearms).

I also refuse to go to MA, CA, Chitcago, and Washington DC. Most of New York is fine (great people, beautiful state) but the 5 boroughs comprising NYC are a NO-GO for me as well. Seattle has started to smell pretty bad to me. Hawaii is not a welcoming environment.

But, then again, my home state of Colorado is becoming truly Californicated, too.

YMMV

Leave it at home.
    Bet you $100.00 you get home safe afterwards.
    And your brain won't be boggled about getting thrown in jail or getting away with it.

Senior Moderator
    Federal Law only applies to passage. I.E. Traveling through, without a destination within said state.

In some states even stopping is not recommended. I.E. NJ, NY, and others

Guide to Interstate Transportation

OP, leave your gun at home and keep your eyes open. New Jersey is not worth the risk.

My wife and I are going to the Rose Bowel in California and I will leave my gun at home as California is not reciprocal with any state including Kansas where I live.
    rotorhead1026 likes this.
    Being Armed Is A Mindset, Not A Physical Condition - Rob Pincus

SAF, GOA, NRA, Kansas State Rifle Assoc.

NJ is pretty narrow going from east to west and you can be through it in short order without having to stop. Make any stops before entering. I grew up in NYC, NJ and upstate NY. I can't believe what has happened to them. I doubt I'll ever be back now, but if I would, I'd really have to scour my vehicle for stray bullets and knives. Even back in the early 90's we went back for a wedding and with many LEOs in the family, they were very surprised that I had a buck 110 on my belt and told me to say we were passing through and camping. I finally stopped bringing handguns with me and on the last trip took a shotgun. I wouldn't even do that now.
    geo.ulrich and OttoLoader like this.
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ'd in My Tho at the "Seminary", 1967-1969

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links