Cold Weather Carry Access - Page 2

Cold Weather Carry Access

This is a discussion on Cold Weather Carry Access within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I like longer coats that have a hood and cover my butt. Most of my winter coats have the type of zipper that once zipped, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Cold Weather Carry Access

I like longer coats that have a hood and cover my butt. Most of my winter coats have the type of zipper that once zipped, you can unzip from the bottom. I need that to sit comfortably in the car. That same unzip height from the bottom, isnít too much where it defeats the purpose of the coat, but still allows good access to my 3:30.
    Old Man likes this.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

There is something about 200" of snow and single digit temperatures that keeps the riffraff down. I carry my EDC at 1:00 or 3:00. I can ditch a leather mitt one handed and clear my jacket.

I carry a polymer frame pistol. I found out the importance of this while late season bird hunting one year. I had my 1911 OWB. I drew it to take a few cold weather test shots. It was about 4 degrees. My hand burned from frostbite before I finished the magazine. The good news is the pistol functions flawlessly and made follow up shots after it cooled.
    Psalm 144:1

I normally carry one J frame in my left pants pocket the other in the waistband or on the waistband. When itís cold I move the one from my waistband into a jacket Pocket. I donít wear gloves.
    Old Man and forester58 like this.
    Two Revolvers, Two Reloads, every day, all day.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Living in North Dakota for 20 years I have learned some things. When it is that cold, thugs are not hanging around looking for targets.

I carry strong side hip, and usually a J frame 357 in my coat pocket. The only time I wear gloves is changing a tire or working outside. I do not wear a hat or gloves coming and going from the car/truck.
    Old Man likes this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

There are people all over the world who have had the occasion to wear cold weather gloves which can be problematic in performing some dexterous tasks. You simply take it off, sling it, fling it, throw it down, bite it with your teeth, stuff it into a pocket or whatever. The time for considering such things is way before you set out to carrying a gun in such conditions. Its not something I am going to be pondering while I am walking around in public. I make it a point to keep my mind on the business at hand as well as the continually changing environment around me. Worrying about how I am going to get a gun out of my pocket or what I am going to do with a pair of gloves, should probably occur inside the relative safety of my home or some other environment suitable for training, planning or scenario development. One thing I can tell you for sure is that I wont set out to carry in such a manner until I have satisfied all reasonable concerns regarding the use of a weapon in such conditions.
    Last edited by Fizban; December 29th, 2019 at 02:36 PM.
    Cypher and M1911A1 like this.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    Living in North Dakota for 20 years I have learned some things. When it is that cold, thugs are not hanging around looking for targets.

I carry strong side hip, and usually a J frame 357 in my coat pocket. The only time I wear gloves is changing a tire or working outside. I do not wear a hat or gloves coming and going from the car/truck.
    But you're Bad Bob, and we're not.
    Grizzly2, Frodebro and Bad Bob like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    But you're Bad Bob, and we're not.
    I was wondering the same thing. My brother was a Deputy US Marshall up in Minot. I came home once with a T shirt that said, -30 degrees keeps the riffraff out. Then in the "nicer" weather, I had to use an ice scraper on the skeeters stuck to the windshield.
    Old Man, Bad Bob, M1911A1 and 1 others like this.
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ'd in My Tho at the "Seminary", 1967-1969

Senior Member Array CreedDryrot's Avatar
    I usually don't wear winter gloves unless I'm playing on the mountain. Every day life, if it's cold enough, I'll have my 605 in my right jacket pocket and my 442 in my left jacket pocket. My hands, since I don't wear gloves, will also be in those pockets.
    Old Man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly2 View Post

I was wondering the same thing. My brother was a Deputy US Marshall up in Minot. I came home once with a T shirt that said, -30 degrees keeps the riffraff out. Then in the "nicer" weather, I had to use an ice scraper on the skeeters stuck to the windshield.
    I know a couple of those guys.....

Ok, I understand not wearing gloves for a quick trip from the truck to the house, But why not a hat? Remember where I live it rarely gets down to +20 deg. And I wear a hat all the time.[ mostly to keep the sun off my balding head]. DR

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    Ok, I understand not wearing gloves for a quick trip from the truck to the house, But why not a hat? Remember where I live it rarely gets down to +20 deg. And I wear a hat all the time.[ mostly to keep the sun off my balding head]. DR
    I wear a hat when working in the sun or when I am gonna be in the cold for more than a few minutes. I guess the Army ruined that for me.... Hats and steel pots.....
    dangerranger likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    nice video...thanks for sharing
    Cypher likes this.

Like others have posted, I move my S&W 642 to my coat pocket. I keep it in a pocket holster still, just to help with keeping it oriented. With this, I don't have to even worry about actually drawing the revolver out of heavy winter clothing if I was in a situation that required it's use.

One could always have a primary pistol under the coat, which you could access after you broke contact with the threat using the revolver.
    Old Man likes this.

I lived in Wyoming for ten years where it has been known to get rather cold. The coldest it got when I was there was -40 with a wind chill of -100. Now I had to work outside now matter the temp. when I made my rounds. When temp's dropped and I felt the need for possible quick access to my .44 Magnum I carried it in a Cross Chest Carry Holster just inside my outer layer. If I wanted better access I just lowered the coats zipper to expose the gun otherwise it was concealed.

Cold Weather Carry Access-91biehb6fkl._sx679_.jpg

Cold Weather Carry Access-great_alaskan_3_b.jpg

Cold Weather Carry Access-c21b12e9371d0383c635d9292ab4fc58.jpg
    Old Man likes this.

I live in Michigan were the winters are cold. I appendix carry and I wear Under Armour Liner 2.0 runner glove. They are lightweight, and thin so I can still get to my trigger. I usually wear a cold gear undershirt, regular shirt and then a North Face jacket. I practice in the winter and I practice with a jacket and gloves on. I practice clearing my garments from standing and sitting positions. The key is to practice drawing and shooting with winter clothing on and I do on a regular basis.
    Beretta 92 FS Compact Inox
    CZ 2075 RAMI
    CZ P-07
    CZ P-10c
    Walther PPS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links