Florida Handgun Laws?

Florida Handgun Laws?

This is a discussion on Florida Handgun Laws? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I could get transferred to Florida and am curious about the handgun laws there. If this is not the place to ask can you refer ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By flh
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 3 Post By kellyII
  • 1 Post By beebee

Thread: Florida Handgun Laws?

Florida Handgun Laws?

I could get transferred to Florida and am curious about the handgun laws there.
    If this is not the place to ask can you refer me to the correct place.
    I own a couple registered handguns and want to make sure I stay legal.
    Can you carry in vehicle? can you have one in your residence?

flh
    dbkyser likes this.

If it is ever your misfortune to be attacked, alertness will have given you a little warning, decisiveness will have given you a proper course to pursue, and if that course is to counterattack, carry it out with everything you've got! Be indignant. Be angry. Be aggressive.

Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by flh View Post
    Thanks, was pretty much what I was finding online, but wanted to make sure.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

About the only thing you can't do is open carry in FL.
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

FL firearm laws fall under statute 790. FS 790.25 in particular covers vehicle carry.

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes :->2019->Chapter 790 : Online Sunshine

FS 776 covers use of deadly force.

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes :->2019->Chapter 776 : Online Sunshine

If it comes to fact you are moving to FL, I suggest applying for a Conceal Weapons and Firearm License in advance. Then once you establish residency, you need only change your address of record with the license issuing department. It can take up to 90 days to have the license issued, so account for that. Otherwise, an out of state permit honored by FL will be honored for 90 days after you establish residency (get FL DL, register to vote, etc.), which should allow for issue of a FL CWFL.
    sgb likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Www.handgunlaw.us is a great site. Has tons of legal info
    sammeow, Haywood and Sixgun1 like this.

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    FL firearm laws fall under statute 790. FS 790.25 in particular covers vehicle carry.

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes :->2019->Chapter 790 : Online Sunshine

FS 776 covers use of deadly force.

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes :->2019->Chapter 776 : Online Sunshine

If it comes to fact you are moving to FL, I suggest applying for a Conceal Weapons and Firearm License in advance. Then once you establish residency, you need only change your address of record with the license issuing department. It can take up to 90 days to have the license issued, so account for that. Otherwise, an out of state permit honored by FL will be honored for 90 days after you establish residency (get FL DL, register to vote, etc.), which should allow for issue of a FL CWFL.
    This
    " It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it, but if you have to play ..... play to WIN!!!"
    Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by dbkyser View Post
    I could get transferred to Florida and am curious about the handgun laws there.
    If this is not the place to ask can you refer me to the correct place.
    I own a couple registered handguns and want to make sure I stay legal.
    Can you carry in vehicle? can you have one in your residence?
    Wow... where are you really at, asking those questions .... Illiinois ?

Registered ??? Run ... FOREST .... Run.

Senior Member Array Bubblehead751's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Macantic View Post
    About the only thing you can't do is open carry in FL.
    What he said.

Lived there for a bunch of years. No registration requirements. Easy F2F transfers. No scary read rifle or mag capacity bans.

Pretty gun friendly.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Mountaineers are Always Free!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubblehead751 View Post
    What he said.

Lived there for a bunch of years. No registration requirements. Easy F2F transfers. No scary read rifle or mag capacity bans.

Pretty gun friendly.
    For the time being thats true.
    Demographics are not on Florida 2 A supporters side however.. They came within a whisker of electing a truly radical leftist governor last cycle.
    Florida is getting close to the brink of radical gun restriction because of the way they vote in the cities there.. bob
    darbo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubblehead751 View Post
    What he said.

Pretty gun friendly.
    The new Ag commissioner has this thing though with gun control. It could be just the start of that slippery slope.

I'm not sure why she thinks she has this power, but she's certainly trying to make the most of it.

If your a veteran you go to the front of the line for a carry permit. When I moved here 5 years ago it took just under two weeks for my permit to arrive. No tests or classes needed.

Distinguished Member Array FLSlim's Avatar
    As OldVet and sgb pointed out, go directly to the source. Overall, we're still pretty gun friendly down here.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Distinguished Member Array flphotog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifty View Post
    The new Ag commissioner has this thing though with gun control. It could be just the start of that slippery slope.

I'm not sure why she thinks she has this power, but she's certainly trying to make the most of it.
    Can't argue that she is anti-gun, however she has no power to really do anything other than make requests to the legislature just like anyone else in FL, she has done that but I doubt that any of her requests will actually go anywhere. So far nothing has changed and new applications are being processed very quickly, even faster for Vets. If you go to your local tax office for a renewal it happens on the spot in 15 min or so.
    Member COTEP 772, NRA, GOA, Florida Carry

Sponsored Links