How often, if ever, are you concerned about printing?

This is a discussion on How often, if ever, are you concerned about printing? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Like most people new to concealed carry, I was very concerned about printing when I obtained my first permit. Living in Southern California, however, made ...

View Poll Results: How often, if ever, are you concerned about printing?

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • I never am concerned about printing. I open carry.

1 0.52%
  • I concealed carry and never worry about printing.

43 22.40%
  • I rarely worry about printing.

103 53.65%
  • I frequently worry about printing.

22 11.46%
  • I don't recall the last time I worried about printing.

12 6.25%
  • Other.

9 4.69%
  • What's this printing of which you speak?

2 1.04%
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree302Likes

Thread: How often, if ever, are you concerned about printing?

Like most people new to concealed carry, I was very concerned about printing when I obtained my first permit. Living in Southern California, however, made it a continuing concern due to the anti-gun sentiment that inflicts most of the population there. If your pistol is exposed there you can be charged with brandishing, even if it stays in the holster. You certainly don't want to be charged with being the "man with a gun" in that environment.

Since moving to Utah, I have rarely been concerned about printing since carry permits and gun ownership is so common here. Open carry is legal. "No firearms" signs do not carry the force of law in Utah (although you can be asked to leave). Every hardware store, pawn shop, and sporting goods store (except Dicks!) sells guns. More than half the elderly women who belong to the local quilting guild my wife attends have a carry permit and carry their guns in their quilting bags. You get the picture....

Yesterday, we took a hike at a beautiful state park and planned to do some grocery shopping afterwards at a big box store. When we left our home at 5300 feet of elevation it was in the high 30s, but by the early afternoon it was in the low 60s at 3000 feet of elevation. I stripped off my top two layers of sweatshirt and shirt and was down to my base layer black synthetic turtleneck shirt. I took a look at things a couple of times to decide whether my pistol was adequately concealed. I realized it was the first time I had thought about whether or not I was "printing" in a long time.

So, I ask you, do you ever worry about printing where you live?
    Big Western and OneGunTX like this.
    I'm with Joe Biden - you can't have 50 clips in a weapon!
    Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.
    We are ALL Virginians!

In my large metropolitan area, I donít want any printing.
    G26Raven, airslot and maxwell97 like this.
    Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none. ~Thomas Jefferson

Open carry is legal here so no worry.
    G26Raven, Pete63, airslot and 6 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    I rarely worry about printing.
    G26Raven, Pete63, airslot and 5 others like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

I rarely worry about it. Besides, the only people that notice printing are other CC'ers, like me.

I saw a guy open carrying a Glock in Target a while back. I was probably the only one that noticed.

If you wear the right clothing and gun you will not print.

I make a casual printing check before I leave the house, and that's about it other than making sure my shirt hasn't gotten hung up when I get out of restaurant booths, etc.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    When not at work, I rarely worry about printing. At work, I can NOT print. So, I frequently worry about printing and pocket carry an LCP due to that issue.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    I'm so used to it on me I'm more worried I forgot it than printing. I've already dealt with the printing by my clothing and holster selection.
    G26Raven, msgt/ret and airslot like this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Unless I'm in a known sensitive area, which is rarely, Printing dosn't cross my mind.

VIP Member
    While I conceal carry, I never worry about printing as long as I'm in TN where printing and open carry are legal with a Handgun Carry Permit. Were I to venture into a state where it is not permitted, I might be more circumspect about printing and would ensure I had cover garments that would effetively mask the firearm.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

In Virginia open carry is the normal mode of carrying a sidearm, whereas concealing it is the exception or abnormal mode. So printing is not a concern with the general public. For 7 1/2 years, between 2007 and 2015, I open carried on a regular basis and most of the time, people didn't even notice my sidearm. It was rather nondescript* and certainly didn't scream GUN! And when seen most people who said anything at all thought I was in some area of law enforcement.

When I travel to other states with reciprocity, I use my "vacation" gun and holster and make sure my clothing disallows any printing.

* A gen3 Glock 23 in a Fobus Evolution belt holster.
    G26Raven and airslot like this.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I make a casual printing check before I leave the house, and that's about it other than making sure my shirt hasn't gotten hung up when I get out of restaurant booths, etc.
    "Honey, does this Glock make my butt look big?"
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Quote Originally Posted by PPS1980 View Post
    When not at work, I rarely worry about printing. At work, I can NOT print. So, I frequently worry about printing and pocket carry an LCP due to that issue.
    This^^^^Except I don't change guns. My EDC is M&P9c OWB, untucked.
    G26Raven and Old Man like this.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

I open carry and don't give a squat who sees I have a gun. Those who don't like it can do the same thing I do when I see their tats, their piercings, and their fat printing through their Walmart pajamas they wear in public..... just don't look.

But.... doesn't printing negate that super secret ninja element of surprise that "concealed means concealed" is all about?
    oldIthink likes this.
    Unfortunately there are many gun owners who will still shop at Wal Mart even though they know Wal Mart partnered with Everytown for Gun Safety just because it is convenient and they can save a few bucks.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links