CCW Safe vs USCCA

CCW Safe vs USCCA

This is a discussion on CCW Safe vs USCCA within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for a CCW insurance policy. Those of you who choose to get concealed carry insurance, which of the two companies above did ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: CCW Safe vs USCCA

CCW Safe vs USCCA

I am looking for a CCW insurance policy. Those of you who choose to get concealed carry insurance, which of the two companies above did you pick and why did you pick them over the other? Do you know of any other coverage options through other organizations?

Thanks
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothings. - Edmond Burke

CCW Safe vs USCCA

When I was looking there was a thread that had a link to several companies and comparisons and it actually came down to these 2. It was a flip of the coin and I went with USCCA and have been with them for about 2 years. As a member they provide quite a bit of scenario training through members only videos as well as a member forum. How good is the actual coverage? From what I remember these two companies were comparable and hopefully I never have to find out first hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NECCdude and Terry 2.0 like this.

Nod
    I am in the process of picking one of these 2 companies myself. Both seem to have good coverage but CCW has unlimited civil coverage which could be important if you live in a civil suit State like I do. But...USCCA covers you if you're in 'gun free zone' , CCW does not. But...CCW has higher bond limits. USCCA lets you pick the attorney, CCW picks them for you. I'm leaning toward CCW just for the higher limits and the civil defense coverage. Either way, I'm going with the Premium plan, just a little over $1 a day and could save tens of thousands if you ever need it. I did go my first 5 years without any coverage, but with the way things are going in this country, I'm afraid there will be more and more confrintations.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Nod View Post
    I am in the process of picking one of these 2 companies myself. Both seem to have good coverage but CCW has unlimited civil coverage which could be important if you live in a civil suit State like I do. But...USCCA covers you if you're in 'gun free zone' , CCW does not. But...CCW has higher bond limits. USCCA lets you pick the attorney, CCW picks them for you. I'm leaning toward CCW just for the higher limits and the civil defense coverage. Either way, I'm going with the Premium plan, just a little over $1 a day and could save tens of thousands if you ever need it. I did go my first 5 years without any coverage, but with the way things are going in this country, I'm afraid there will be more and more confrintations.
    CCW Safe says on their site that they cover you if you are in a state where a venue can post "No guns allowed" but it is only a trespass violation if you are challenged and refuse to leave. It says if you are in such a venue, but you haven't been asked to leave and refused, and you have to defend yourself or others, you will be covered. If it happens after you have been challenged and have refused to leave, you will not. I am OK with that.

I also notice on their site they now claim to be the only program that offers coverage if you get red flagged, but it is in one of their more expensive programs. If VA passes red flag, I will be interested in that.
    Marc_Brooks likes this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Nod
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    CCW Safe says on their site that they cover you if you are in a state where a venue can post "No guns allowed" but it is only trespass violation if you are challenged and refuse to leave. It says if you are in such a venue, but you haven't been asked to leave and refused, and you have to defend yourself or others, you will be covered. If it happens after you have been challenged and have refused to leave, you will not. I am OK with that.

I also notice on their site they now claim to be the only program that offers coverage if you get red flagged, but it is in one of their more expensive programs. If VA passes red flag, I will be interested in that.
    I did not know that , thanks. I hope you folks in VA win your fight. I'm leaning heavy toward CCW.
    Haywood likes this.

CCW Safe is still my use of deadly force protection policy.
    Haywood and Bigpoppa48 like this.
    "Fiel pero desdichado"
    Loyal but unfortunate.

family Motto of Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array Militant's Avatar
    I had USCCA for a bit, cancelled them; and I've been heavily considering CCWSafe.
    Haywood likes this.
    HK USP Compact .45 stainless HK USP Compact .40 stainless HK USP Compact .45
    HK USP Compact 9mm HK 45c HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk

“A man’s rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box” - Frederick Douglas

VIP Member
    I've been with USCCA for over 5 years. Don't know how good they would be if you have a self-defense situation but I hope I never have to find out. It sucks to need this insurance but it's better than ending up bankrupt and maybe in prison. I did ask USCCA if they would cover red flag laws but they said no. Maybe that service will be added later.
    Microwave technicians are fully deviated.

Member SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

I'd like to weigh in on this, however, I keep putting off getting it myself. I would, however, recommend doing a forum search with the word insurance. There are several good threads about it, including one from 2013 that's about 8-10 pages long. I normally don't say search for it, but I just can't consolidate all the responses here.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    1987-1991 Army Guard/Regular Army
    1996-2014 Navy- Retired

You can also go to https://vcdl.org/Legal-Plans. Two years ago, they sent surveys to several legal plans and just posted the answers. Now, the information will be somewhat out of date two years later, but it serves as a great primer on things you may want to think about. If something pops out, that would spark a question I would want to ask the provider before I went with them. For that matter, you could use the VCDL's questions as a basis for coming up with your own questionnaire you might want to ask of your finalists.

In addition, I will share that I took two SD law classes at the NRA HQ, put on by Arsenal Attorneys, who specialize in gun law, but are not affiliated with any legal plan. Questions were asked about legal plans and the head of the firm said that he was ambivalent about them, but he suggested that before you spend hundreds of dollars with a plan and then start feeling good that you are protected, you show the agreement they want you to sign to an independent attorney, even if it costs you a few bucks. You want to be sure that the promises you perceive in the company's marketing matches what they are legally committed to in the agreement.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Nod
    I believe that CCWSafe is NOT an insurance company or plan. Here's what I took from their website:

[Quote] CCW Safe is a legal service membership plan that was designed for CCW permit/license holders, active and retired military and law enforcement officers, and gun owners. We are not an insurance plan, we are a legal defense service plan. CCW Safe takes on the burden of the expenses associated with defending a self-defense/use of force critical incident. These expenses can include attorneys fees, investigators, experts, and other associated costs, such as depositions, document fees, trial exhibits, and more. CCW Safe does not have the conflicts of an insurance product because the company is designed to indemnify the cost of the incident and not the outcome of a trial. It is not a reimbursement package and no money is required to be paid back to the company regardless of the outcome. You are covered where your permit is honored in all states and Washington DC (New Jersey, New York, and Washington excluded). CCW Safe members will not have any out of pocket expenses associated with defending a self defense incident, nor will they be limited by a policy cap on defense costs. [Quote]

USACC, IS an insurance company as I understand it.

Distinguished Member Array 1MoreFord's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Nod;7878812]I believe that CCWSafe is NOT an insurance company or plan. Here's what I took from their website:

[Quote] CCW Safe is a legal service membership plan that was designed for CCW permit/license holders, active and retired military and law enforcement officers, and gun owners. We are not an insurance plan, we are a legal defense service plan. CCW Safe takes on the burden of the expenses associated with defending a self-defense/use of force critical incident. These expenses can include attorneys fees, investigators, experts, and other associated costs, such as depositions, document fees, trial exhibits, and more. CCW Safe does not have the conflicts of an insurance product because the company is designed to indemnify the cost of the incident and not the outcome of a trial. It is not a reimbursement package and no money is required to be paid back to the company regardless of the outcome. You are covered where your permit is honored in all states and Washington DC (New Jersey, New York, and Washington excluded). CCW Safe members will not have any out of pocket expenses associated with defending a self defense incident, nor will they be limited by a policy cap on defense costs.

USACC, IS an insurance company as I understand it.
    IANAL so take what I say for what it's worth.

As I understand things:

CCWSafe is pre-paid legal to start with. I've seen where they say they've have added insurance to their packages. Pay for what you want from their offerings.

USCCA is Not insurance. They purchase insurance and they pay you from their insurance reimbursements. Maybe a minor distinction. Assuming that is true that means they are not an insurance company or broker and don't play by the same rules as those who are insurance companies and brokers. If I'm wrong someone Please chime in.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Nod View Post
    I believe that CCWSafe is NOT an insurance company or plan.
    That may actually be preferable. Being actual insurance can put the plan under the scrutiny of state insurance regulators which got NRA Carry Guard in trouble in NY and NJ, through their carrier, Lockton Affinity. This resulted in some huge fines and lawsuits and threatened the solvency of the whole plan.

Prepaid legal plans are free of that oversight. CCW Safe has a long track record and they are the only plan that has taken a member clear though a murder trial and gotten him acquitted. I think we could all agree that is the absolute worst case. That's not to say the others would not do the same, it just means we know CCW Safe has, and would.
    Haywood likes this.

Nod
    I decided on CCWSafe, just signed up for the Ultimate plan. We'll see how it goes.
    Haywood and TangoHotel like this.

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    I haven't signed up for any carry insurance because the last time I checked the plan was void if you have to shoot a family member. (it's possible this policy has changed, I haven't looked in a couple years)

I have an estranged, violent, drug addict brother who's a known cop fighter. He put my father in the hospital and has nearly choked 2 other people to death.

What's the point of the "insurance" if you can't use it just because someone is related to you?
    Rick McC. likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links