Practice problems

Practice problems

This is a discussion on Practice problems within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I plan to make a concerted effort to shot my EDC pistols 60 rounds a month. I know thatís not a lot but I am ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Practice problems

Practice problems

I plan to make a concerted effort to shot my EDC pistols 60 rounds a month. I know thatís not a lot but I am ashamed to say that I just have not made it a priority. I decided to change that and got out today. I wanted to go over the things that went wrong for me so that other guys like me (you know who you are) will get out there more. The sidearm I practiced with today was my Steyr M9-A1. All OEM mags. Ammo was Aguila 124gr hard ball. Distances between 15 and 20 yards.

1). I did fine drawing from concealment. I was being careful obviously but tried to do it as quick as I could. I wasnít super fast but managed not to snag my clothes. Much harder to get on target from the draw than starting with it my hand. Good lessons for me there.

2. Mag changes under pressure are MUCH harder than I remember and that was with my spare mage in my shirt pocket. Also I had forgotten the mags donít drop free (another stupid mistake). I also use a P229.

3. I had THREE failures to fire! Not sure if it was the ammo or not. I have almost 300 trouble free rounds through this particular pistol. I stripped it down and cleaned. It wasnít really dirty but most of the lube was dried up. So better maintenance is due. The FTF really mixed me up on the first one. I was much quicker on the other two getting it cleared and back into action.

4. Accuracy was fine when I was aiming but trying to get an precise first shot was difficult for me to say the least. Slow fire I did fine so I know the pistol is capable if I do my part.

So to summarize:
    More practice and more maintenance. Also since as I get older my eyes are getting worse I need to work on being more situationally aware so that I will be better prepare.

Hopefully this is of use to someone. Feel free to critique and offer suggestions. I am a big buy and can take it. I obviously have not been spending enough time with my pistols (dang rifles keep calling to me). I would again encourage anyone like me to get our there more and practice. If you made it this far thanks for reading.
    Rico, we'll need special tactical equipment.

Good for you.....practice is our friend and any amount is better than none !!! Working on the real life fundamentals is the way to get better....not just blowing holes in paper !!! I too have made a commitment to practice more and work on the trouble areas which can be frustrating at first, but getting better-sharper-more accurate is very satisfying !!!
    Glock 19 Gen4
    Glock 43
    CZ P10 S

I have the Right to remain silent....just NOT the ability !!!
    NOT GIVING UP MY FREEDOMS

Good job, keep practicing. You will eventually be able to draw and fire 9-11 shots in 2.5 seconds into a small grouping at 30 yards
    BCC73, JD and gasmitty like this.
    If you use JP-8, then it's technically not waterboarding

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Practice is great. I find the range to be relaxing for me. Remember that slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and fast is slow. Too many people rush when trying to build the fundamentals with a weapon. Slow down, build the skills, and you will find that as you do you will speed up with competence. Enjoy your range time.
    BCC73, M1911A1 and Chaplain Scott like this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

What are you using for lube that it dried up? How long since you last lubed it?
    Hoganbeg and railfancwb like this.
    Livin' the Life!
    NRA Patron Life Member, US Army vet '72-'78, Retired Detective Lieutenant, Former NMLEA Firearms Instructor.

Quote Originally Posted by HotBrass45 View Post
    Good job, keep practicing. You will eventually be able to draw and fire 9-11 shots in 2.5 seconds into a small grouping at 30 yards
    I see what you did there. Good one!

I have been getting to the range a good bit but I really haven't worked on a quick draw from concealment. I'm trying to first make sure my shots land where I want them to, all the time. I usually shoot from 10 yds and have been getting pretty much the full mag in the 9 and 10 rings lately. That's taking my time and using a two handed grip. I want to feel I've really mastered that part before I move on to firing from a draw. I do clean any gun I fired when I get home as that's the way my dad taught me.
    HotBrass45 likes this.

JD
    Administrator
    Don't sweat the reloads that much. While a clean reload is nice to have in matches and classes, they seldom happen (if at all in) civilian context, that time can be better spent on other things.

Malfunction clearing is better time spent than mag changes.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HotBrass45 View Post

Lol!
    railfancwb likes this.

VIP Member
    Practice, practice, practice...
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.Ē― Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by azretired View Post
    What are you using for lube that it dried up? How long since you last lubed it?
    I use CLP, and honestly I canít remember the last time I lubed it. Months I would say. The failures to fire were just odd. When I went to clear the jam I noticed that it was more difficult than usual to actuate the slide. I thought maybe it was because it needed to be cocked but when I tried just dry firing the worked the slide on an empty chamber it was totally different...and that may be totally normal. I plan to rechallenge it in a day or two with the same ammo.
    Rico, we'll need special tactical equipment.

Good for you! I recommend that when you identify a problem you isolate it and work on that specific problem until you master it, then combine it with the other parts of the process. That will make best use of your time and most efficient use of your ammo.

Persevere!
    Chaplain Scott and M1911A1 like this.
    ...You will understand everything immediately, when you yourself Ė "hands behind the back" Ė toddle into our Archipelago. ---Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

I'm a firm believer in muscle memory practice.

With a verified unloaded gun practice changing magazines while you're watching TV. Practice drawing from concealment and getting your gun on target. Don't worry about doing it fast, work on doing it correctly. Do it over and over and over until it's second nature.

Right after I got out of High School I got a job as a brick layer. The man that trained me told me over and over and over again "You work on doing it right, speed will come." 40 years ago and those words still echo in my mind

Thank you, Cypher.
    That's the very best advice, to a civilian concealed-weapon carrier.
    Old Man and Chaplain Scott like this.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, prśparet bellum."

Quote Originally Posted by M1911A1 View Post
    Thank you, Cypher.
    That's the very best advice, to a civilian concealed-weapon carrier.
    Thank you

60 rounds a month is 720 rounds a year. Or 700 more than a lot of people I know! If you supplement that with dry fire and drawing practice [that don't require extra ammo] You will be far ahead of the pack. Good Luck. DR

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links