What Do You Forsee Or Imagine? - Page 3

What Do You Forsee Or Imagine?

This is a discussion on What Do You Forsee Or Imagine? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have long ago stopped going stupid places with stupid people. But that doesn't mean trouble could't find me. So I prepare the best I ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree137Likes

Thread: What Do You Forsee Or Imagine?

I have long ago stopped going stupid places with stupid people. But that doesn't mean trouble could't find me. So I prepare the best I can by always having a gun on me. I also keep a quart of oil, a gallon of gas, and a gallon of water in the back of my truck. A few tools round out the things I need. I doubt I could prepare for every possibility, But I can take care of the most common ones. DR
    Cypher and Struckat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Struckat View Post
    Foxes scared you that bad? Oh come on.
    We have had foxes living in the forest preserve at the end of our street the 20 years I have lived here. They are the last critters you should worry about and are very good for the neighborhood.
    The coyotes are another story and should be killed with extreme prejudice.
    News reports on TV of people getting bitten by rabid foxes roaming around openly in Atlanta and around the suburbs didn't have much impact or affect on me right around that time. But seeing four of them working as a team getting closer in very dim light with 40 yards between me and my front door got the adrenaline going with those reports of rabies coming immediately to mind.

They were pretty vicious and snarling with a trap around their leg a day later.

Maybe you even have a pet fox in your house...what's it's name? Innocent little doggies get rabies too, or at least they say they do. You never saw the movie "Old Yeller"? Made me cry.

I guess it was just that "imagination" thing that got me at the time. Kind of like imagining a home invasion on a serene street where foxes live and romp playfully. Really? Oh come on.

What Do You Forsee Or Imagine?-img_1320.jpg
    Last edited by 71yancy; January 14th, 2020 at 08:48 AM.
    Struckat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 71yancy View Post
    News reports on TV of people getting bitten by rabid foxes roaming around openly in Atlanta and around the suburbs didn't have much impact or affect on me right around that time. But seeing four of them working as a team getting closer in very dim light with 40 yards between me and my front door got the adrenaline going with those reports of rabies coming immediately to mind.

Maybe you even have a pet fox in your house...what's it's name? Innocent little doggies get rabies too, or at least they say they do. You never saw the movie "Old Yeller"? Made me cry.

I guess it was just that "imagination" thing that got me at the time. Kind of like imagining a home invasion on a serene street where foxes live and romp playfully. Really?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1320.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	933.5 KB 
ID:	310804

Evil, vicious, nasty foxes. Who are generally about the size of a house cat and can probably be kicked right over the fence and out of your yard. And if we're concerned about our dogs getting rabies we get our dog's rabies shots
    Sister, CreedDryrot and msgt/ret like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post

Evil, vicious, nasty foxes. Who are generally about the size of a house cat and can probably be kicked right over the fence and out of your yard. And if we're concerned about our dogs getting rabies we get our dog's rabies shots
    I have a house cat and it's a larger than normal cat. Ma and Pa fox were bigger than he is by a good bit. Who do you think took the time to take the fox family into the vet for rabies shots?

I'm an unlikely target living a low risk lifestyle, so in my geezerly mind, I foresee a one on one or maybe two on one confrontation. Some dirtball expecting me to hand over my wallet or some such as I'm filing up at a gas pump or otherwise minding my own business.

Accordingly, I feel like my 38 snub is up to the task, should it ever be needed.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Red View Post
    I'm an unlikely target living a low risk lifestyle, so in my geezerly mind, I foresee a one on one or maybe two on one confrontation. Some dirtball expecting me to hand over my wallet or some such as I'm filing up at a gas pump or otherwise minding my own business.

Accordingly, I feel like my 38 snub is up to the task, should it ever be needed.
    Yeah, thanks for the reminder. That's one of mine also and especially one my wife always thinks about since women are picked as an easier target. There's almost a daily occurrence of it being broadcast on the evening news somewhere in the city and suburbs.

I guess it was just that "imagination" thing that got me at the time. Kind of like imagining a home invasion on a serene street where foxes live and romp playfully. Really? Oh come on.

Name:	IMG_1320.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	933.5 KB 
ID:	310804
    Any animal can get rabies. Caught in a trap, all animals are snarling and vicious. And no, I don’t have them as pets. They were very afraid of my cat. It was really cool, kitty kills the bunnies, eats his fill and stashed em in the bushes in front of the house.
    Then the fox would come by and clean up the mess. It was a good arrangement.

One morning I watched my, “Lion” hold court with the daddy fox. It was very clear who was in charge. About two months prior I heard a one cat cat fight early in the morning. Went out to find him strutting around like a peacock and fresh fox tracks.

Any rabid animal is dangerous. Otherwise they are pretty harmless, unlike coyotes.
    CreedDryrot and msgt/ret like this.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

Quote Originally Posted by Struckat View Post
    Any animal can get rabies. Caught in a trap, all animals are snarling and vicious. And no, I don’t have them as pets. They were very afraid of my cat. It was really cool, kitty kills the bunnies, eats his fill and stashed em in the bushes in front of the house.
    Then the fox would come by and clean up the mess. It was a good arrangement.

One morning I watched my, “Lion” hold court with the daddy fox. It was very clear who was in charge. About two months prior I heard a one cat cat fight early in the morning. Went out to find him strutting around like a peacock and fresh fox tracks.

Any rabid animal is dangerous. Otherwise they are pretty harmless, unlike coyotes.
    I agree. But you don't know what you don't know at 5:15 am with very little light, still half asleep, a good distance from the front door of the house and never seeing them around my property or neighborhood before. I've never seen another fox in my yard or the woods behind my house ever again. There have been reports of coyotes not too far away but I've never seen or heard any.

From Humane Society: Keeping cats safe: A typical adult cat is almost the same size as a fox and has a well-deserved reputation for self-defense, so foxes are generally not interested in taking such cats on. Kittens and very small (less than five pounds) adult cats, however, could be prey for a fox.

The best way to avoid encounters between foxes and cats is to keep your cats indoors—a practice that will keep your cats safe from other hazards as well, such as traffic, disease and fights, to mention only a few.

My cat was an indoor/outdoor cat who brought squirrels, chipmunks, birds, and rabbits to the door as a gift to me. He got older and in a big fight with another cat that got the better of him with a huge bleeding gash in his left front shoulder from the claws. It was 7:30 in the morning on a Sunday. Luckily I found a Vet who had a 24 hr. emergency clinic 7 days a week about 30 miles away and rushed over there. Took 8 to 10 stitches and a lot of blood. That was the end of his career as an outdoor playboy and hunter. Took him a while to become used to being indoors all the time but he finally settled down. Since then I've trained him to walk in a harness and leash like a dog to go outside. I don't walk him, he walks me or my wife. He leads, we follow. Until it's time to come in.

This is what I do see frequently from my kitchen window in the woods about 40 feet away:

What Do You Forsee Or Imagine?-img_0132.jpg
    Struckat, Sister and msgt/ret like this.

I've had several "bad" encounters with people in places where most people would not expect it, i.e., at the beach, in a fast food restaurant while sitting eating my lunch, etc. I've also had encounters where you might expect it, approaching a hotel on foot at night.

Anything can happen anywhere, but if you read the NRA's Armed Citizen, certainly a good number of events take place at home. Four out of six of the incidents in the January 2020 issue of Shooting Illustrated took place at people's homes. I try to be prepared at all times
    Chaplain Scott likes this.
    So many weapons, so little time.

Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.

"Who needs your truth if it stands in our way?"
    General Alexei Yepishev, political commissar of the Soviet Armed Forces

I don't go to dangerous places and don't live in a high crime neighborhood but every day I read stories in the local newspaper about the antics of druggies and some of those are pretty violent. No place is safe from those people, so you never really know when or where you might be in the middle of some nasty business. I don't obsess over possible scenarios but I do try to be aware of what's going on around me and I'm always armed unless I'm in bed and then a weapon is close by. I usually carry my M&P Compact 9 not so much for it's 15+1 capacity but because it's what I shoot best and I find it comfortable.
    Chaplain Scott likes this.

I agree. But you don't know what you don't know at 5:15 am with very little light, still half asleep, a good distance from the front door of the house and never seeing them around my property or neighborhood before. I've never seen another fox in my yard or the woods behind my house ever again. There have been reports of coyotes not too far away but I've never seen or heard any.

From Humane Society: Keeping cats safe: A typical adult cat is almost the same size as a fox and has a well-deserved reputation for self-defense, so foxes are generally not interested in taking such cats on. Kittens and very small (less than five pounds) adult cats, however, could be prey for a fox.

The best way to avoid encounters between foxes and cats is to keep your cats indoors–a practice that will keep your cats safe from other hazards as well, such as traffic, disease and fights, to mention only a few.

My cat was an indoor/outdoor cat who brought squirrels, chipmunks, birds, and rabbits to the door as a gift to me. He got older and in a big fight with another cat that got the better of him with a huge bleeding gash in his left front shoulder from the claws. It was 7:30 in the morning on a Sunday. Luckily I found a Vet who had a 24 hr. emergency clinic 7 days a week about 30 miles away and rushed over there. Took 8 to 10 stitches and a lot of blood. That was the end of his career as an outdoor playboy and hunter. Took him a while to become used to being indoors all the time but he finally settled down. Since then I've trained him to walk in a harness and leash like a dog to go outside. I don't walk him, he walks me or my wife. He leads, we follow. Until it's time to come in.

This is what I do see frequently from my kitchen window in the woods about 40 feet away:

Name:	IMG_0132.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	3.54 MB 
ID:	310808
    Same happened to my old guy. He hit 13 and started getting his butt kicked by the young ones. Then he would only go out in the mornings for few minutes. He new the deal. He passed a year ago at 18.
    His replacement does not go out and never will.

Ten or so years ago our neighborhood was constantly terrorized by an NFL players 100+ pound pittbull. Ran me up into the back of my truck one day. That was before we could carry, or he would have gotten a mag of 230gr XTP, and I would have been arrested.

He was later run out of state and took the dog with him. Pepper spray with me now when I am out walking.
    71yancy likes this.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

Back in the late 70’s I was in a situation where I had to defend myself from a large man. I did not carry at the time (before I was 20yo). I did know how to use a gun due to my brother teaching me at a very young age.

Not sure where this thread is going, kinda everywhere so not sure of the OP’s question other than, the “what if’s”?

During my “what if” the shot gun just happened to be in the corner that I was knocked into. I did know how to use a double barrel. If the basturd is still alive I pray he’s in jail.

Reckon that is all I need to say.
    Trust God always in every thing you do 🙏

UDC member, Rebels with a cause.

EPSTEIN DIDN’T KILL HIMSELF

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post

If they are sick, Could you kick all four without getting bit? Have you ever seen what they do to people who are suspected of having Rabies? The treatment is they take a needle that is about the size of your little finger and a foot long, and inject into your stomach twice a day for two weeks! Most people would rather die of Rabies than take the cure! DR
    71yancy likes this.

Got to do what has got to be done now....

background thread music

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jofNR_...Dc&index=1
    71yancy, Struckat and CWOUSCG like this.
    Trust God always in every thing you do 🙏

UDC member, Rebels with a cause.

EPSTEIN DIDN’T KILL HIMSELF

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    Have you ever seen what they do to people who are suspected of having Rabies? The treatment is they take a needle that is about the size of your little finger and a foot long, and inject into your stomach twice a day for two weeks! Most people would rather die of Rabies than take the cure! DR
    Not really. Per the Mayo Clinic.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...t/drc-20351826
    Cypher, CreedDryrot and msgt/ret like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links