What Do You Forsee Or Imagine?

This is a discussion on What Do You Forsee Or Imagine? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There's a Sticky Thread here in the forum titled: Sticky: Poll: Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree137Likes

Thread: What Do You Forsee Or Imagine?

There's a Sticky Thread here in the forum titled: Sticky: Poll: Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It?

Very interesting thread and posts. It seems to me, and I could be wrong, that the majority of the incidents where the gun was drawn and fired came from those in LE at the time which stands to reason.

I don't know if 100% of us carry all the time but I think the majority of us do. I can only speak for myself and yes, there's always something on me outside of the house and multiple guns throughout the entire house known to me and my wife for quick and easy access.

Curiosity got the best of me as far as what we conjure up in our minds and prepare for. Some might say they're ready for anything and everything but I doubt it because too many whacky scenarios occur at times never expected.

For those who have had to draw and shoot, many say it's NOT the way or where they thought it might happen.

Which is in the title of this thread.

Does your minds eye see the most threat coming from a home invasion...car jacking...face to face robbery...rabid animal...one on one or with multiple bad guys...in a parking lot...
    inside a Walmart, Church, Pharmacy, convenience store, big box store, Dr. office...road rage...etc.

For me it's in a parking lot or rabid animal. I did have a family of fox surrounding me in my yard at 5:15 in the morning while I was walking about 40 yards up to the top of my driveway to pick up the delivered morning paper. They caught me completely off guard with nothing to defend myself with. It was scary to say the least because I didn't know whether they were going to attack, they were rabid, or anything else. Running was out of the question because I'm sure it would have triggered a chase/attack response in them.

I was shaking like a leaf when I got back into the house. That was 6 years ago and I've NEVER gone out for the morning paper without a gun. We called a trapper and he got the entire family one by one over about 3 or 4 days.

My other scenario is in a parking lot either from an attempted robbery or just an idiot looking for trouble.

Neither will probably ever take place or like I envision. Hopefully my imagination is only that and nothing comes about. But at least now I am armed and practiced.

Yours?

EDIT: That having been said, what size gun and how many rounds all told do you have on your person when outside of the house?

Senior Member Array entertainment72's Avatar
    If I have to defend myself it is most likely someone looking to bum a smoke or ask for the time at a gas station, parking lot etc. Or defending myself and my dog from another attacking dog while out walking.

I'm not one of the guys who fantasize about taking down a platoon of terrorists. One of the many reasons why I primarily carry 5 shot revolvers.

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    I do not have one scenario over another in mind.
    I just try to secure my home best as possible, and use good situational awareness outside.
    So far I have been very fortunate to never having to draw my weapon in fear or anger.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by entertainment72 View Post

I'm not one of the guys who fantasize about taking down a platoon of terrorists. One of the many reasons why I primarily carry 5 shot revolvers.
    Agreed, or the 1986 Miami shootout. Many are prepared for it though, but hey, if that's what they see as a potential in their own mind then good to be prepared. My daily activities and places with high risk are very slim. I guess I'd be dead if I needed to fire more than 5-9 shots and they were still loaded since my choices are revolvers 5/6, and .380/small nine mm with 7-9.

Distinguished Member Array xXxHeavy's Avatar
    The older I get the more vulnerable I feel.....
    Why did the Moron buy a ladder...... he's takin' his case to a higher court.

Who was it that said, " I wasn't planning on going for a run today.....then the Game Wardens came out of nowhere".

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    I've had three very close calls. First was a dog being extremely territorial. He got into a little fight with another dog and stalked a young girl. Second was a homeless guy after hours in Panera Bread. He was banned earlier from the property, on drugs or alcohol. On the way out the door, he stopped between the inner and outer doors and took a nice long drink. He did not respond to demands to leave, and advanced several steps as the warnings were thrown out. Third was a road rage incident. Never had to draw on these, but came very close. Did have to draw when someone was trying to run someone over with their car in the parking lot. But the car drove off and the victim was nowhere in sight by the time I got pants and vest on and got outside. I've also had a few times that dictated elevated awareness and attention.

So no, never had to draw and fire. One never knows when or where a threat may pop up.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxHeavy View Post
    The older I get the more vulnerable I feel.....
    The older I get the less I give a dang.
    G-man*, xXxHeavy, OldChap and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 71yancy View Post
    Does your minds eye see the most threat coming from a home invasion...car jacking...face to face robbery...rabid animal...one on one or with multiple bad guys...in a parking lot...inside a Walmart, Church, Pharmacy, convenience store, big box store, Dr. office...road rage...etc.
    ^^^^ Any or all of the above. There simply is no predicting when, where, who, what and how anymore.

EDIT: That having been said, what size gun and how many rounds all told do you have on your person when outside of the house?
    The correct answer is size(s) - plural, and LOTS. The other day I carried 2 guns (one mid-size, one pocket), a knife and a bit more than 60 rounds. Sometimes it will be 3 (one being a rifle in a bag), a knife, and 120+ rounds. It all depends.

I'm not going to lose a gunfight for lack of guns or ammo. I think I heard that once in a Clint Eastwood movie!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

My avatar is of Princess. We lost her after many years. Her little sweater says, "Meet me under the Misltletoe."

I was once with a stupid friend at a stupid place (mall parking lot) He and I were both carrying and he thought he deserved a parking spot that someone else slipped in on him. My buddy was totally outraged and a barrage of F-bombs were flying back and forth. I thank god I got him to shut up and leave before something that he'd regret doing happened. We no longer see each other anymore.
    Chaplain Scott and ETXhiker like this.
    Free men do not ask permission to bear arms

Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member
    I foresee trouble most likely to happen in a parking lot or on the streets in unfamiliar cities, even though I visit cities rarely. Plus, I'm in the woods a lot. SA everywhere.
    I'm not looking to take down a squad of soldiers or terrorists or anything else much.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    ^^^^ Any or all of the above. There simply is no predicting when, where, who, what and how anymore.

The correct answer is size(s) - plural, and LOTS. The other day I carried 2 guns (one mid-size, one pocket), a knife and a bit more than 60 rounds. Sometimes it will be 3 (one being a rifle in a bag), a knife, and 120+ rounds. It all depends.

I'm not going to lose a gunfight for lack of guns or ammo. I think I heard that once in a Clint Eastwood movie!
    You certainly WON'T! I might lose the gunfight from being so tired carrying all of that for any length of time I'd be too weak to draw a cannon and fire.

Drugs, city homeless over spill and bad attitudes are changing the face of my county. Biggest problem I'm having now is nothing I can do about. Thieving poachers stealing the crab out of my traps.
    I expect to come across a crime being committed more likely then me being the personal focus of a crime but you never know.
    Chaplain Scott and ETXhiker like this.

Large, four-legged perps are definitely our most likely encounter (bears and cats). On the two-legged front, nothing really sticks out as being way more probable than the other. Our lifestyle is pretty typical middle class with kids- we go to restaurants, malls, theaters, sports events, church, Boy Scouts, 4H, grocery store, Walmart, Target. Our area is beginning to develop a significant drugged vagrant problem, that has more concern than before. At times, I do up the carry level depending on my perceived threat, but that is highly imprecise.
    surefire7 likes this.
    Arkancide- Three self-inflicted gunshots to the head with hands tied behind the back.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

Quote Originally Posted by 71yancy View Post
    You certainly WON'T! I might lose the gunfight from being so tired carrying all of that for any length of time I'd be too weak to draw a cannon and fire.
    I think that movie was "Unforgiven" and IIRC it was uttered by the one-armed Deputy who carried 4 or 5 guns. Turned out he needed all those because he couldn't hit a barn from inside.

When I carry the large load, I just use this:

Name:  SwissGear Messenger.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  9.4 KB

...which has everything a growing boy needs inside!
    G26Raven likes this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

My avatar is of Princess. We lost her after many years. Her little sweater says, "Meet me under the Misltletoe."

I am retired. My wife also carries. The biggest threats in Northwest Oregon are weather related mud slides, downed trees, and floods that can cut off areas for days or weeks. Earthquakes and volcanic activity are a concern. We are overdue for a 9.0 earthquake and I watched Mount St. Helens erupt.

My carry is layered and depends on where I am going and what I am doing. When I get up in the morning, I put on sweat pants or swim trunks depending on the time of year. An NAA-22M revolver goes in my pocket until, I shower and dress. Other guns are available in the house.

When I get dressed and plan to be around the house or local area, I carry a government model 1911 in either .45 ACP or 10mm with a spare magazine on my belt. I also carry a Sig P938 9mm with a spare magazine in my pocket. Two is one, one is none.

If we are going to visit elderly relatives in Portland, I add more magazines and ammo in the vehicle. If a major earthquake hits, most roads and bridges will be impassible. We may have to walk home crossing streams and rivers. I may add a long gun or two in the vehicle depending on how far we are away from home and how long it would take to walk home after a natural disaster.

If we are spending time in the woods, I usually swap the 1911 for a 4" S&W 29-2 .44 magnum revolver and speed loaders. Occasionally, I carry three guns.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links