Concealing a shoulder holster - Page 2

Concealing a shoulder holster

This is a discussion on Concealing a shoulder holster within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; He was using an SOB holster. If you were at 4, wear at 4. it is the draw your know. Shoulder holsters are S-L-O-W....... You ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Concealing a shoulder holster

He was using an SOB holster. If you were at 4, wear at 4. it is the draw your know. Shoulder holsters are S-L-O-W....... You could also carry a 2nd gun, say AIWB, like a J frame.... Facing a gun, especially a shotgun at close range a surreptitious draw may or may not help, the victim was in the shooters line of sight.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Yeah, that reminds me of the guy on the original Star Trek series who wears the red shirt - he's the guy who gets killed first.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothings. - Edmond Burke

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar
    Seems like my arms got shorter as I got older. I don't reach around my body as easily as I used to. Carrying my LCP in my pants pocket might not be the coolest way to carry but it seems like the most natural way for me.
    Instymp likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by danryanpi View Post
    ... From what I saw, it appeared he had problems getting to his firearm fast enough ...
    Or he just did not recognize the threat soon enough to act in time or was in denial that what was transpiring was actually happening. How one carries is far less important than being adept at drawing safely from whatever holster you choose. Find a carry method that is comfortable to you with your weapon of choice and practice.

Distinguished Member Array Militant's Avatar
    You could try wearing a mock neck shirt or a plain T-shirt (in various colors) w/your shoulder rig and throw a nice patterned shirt on top of it.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    HK USP Compact .45 stainless HK USP Compact .40 stainless HK USP Compact .45
    HK USP Compact 9mm HK 45c HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk

“A man’s rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box” - Frederick Douglas

I wouldn't pocket carry in a place I expect to be seated often. 3:00 IWB with an ankle holster back-up. I rarely recommend ankle carry, but if you are in a pew, it really makes sense for a back-up.
    Chaplain Scott likes this.
    Psalm 144:1

Check out Stoner shoulder holsters. They conceal a commander size 1911 and extra magazines when worn under a comfortably sized shirt. All day comfort and quick drawing.

Like Bad Bob said shoulder holsters are slow. They also are not good if you have any back problems (ask your Chiropractor)! The only time I carried in a shoulder holster was when I was aircrew on helicopters. I carried a S&W Model 15 snub nose in a military issue over my flight suit. Very uncomfortable when doing anything active. I had the parachute shop sew a generic leather holster from the survival vests onto the inside of my nomex flight jacket. That was the most comfortable and pretty easy to access way to carry without a belt due to wearing flight suits. One of these days I am going to do that with my leather motorcycle jacket. Good luck!
    Last edited by 5lima30ret; January 18th, 2020 at 02:54 PM.
    Bad Bob and GpTom like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Quote Originally Posted by danryanpi View Post
    Yeah, that reminds me of the guy on the original Star Trek series who wears the red shirt - he's the guy who gets killed first.
    Scotty?

Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    Lie Bad Bob said shoulder holsters are slow. They also are not good if you have any back problems (ask your Chiropractor)! The only time I carried in a shoulder holster was when I was aircrew on helicopters. I carried a S&W Model 15 snub nose in a military issue over my flight suit. Very uncomfortable when doing anything active. I had the parachute shop sew a generic leather holster from the survival vests onto the inside of my nomex flight jacket. That was the most comfortable and pretty easy to access way to carry without a belt due to wearing flight suits. One of these days I am going to do that with my leather motorcycle jacket. Good luck!
    I have a Galco shoulder holster that is very comfortable once it is adjusted correctly. I like shoulder rigs for carrying heavy guns and extra mags. I just carried my BUG AIWB as well.
    5lima30ret likes this.

Best of luck in your search. My former brother-in-law was a Houston cop and carried in a shoulder holster. Personally, I have never cared for them just for the reason it points the butt of your firearm toward anyone facing you complicating weapons retention. Just be aware of that and regularly practice weapon retention scenarios with a buddy. I would also suggest carrying an easy to reach fixed blade to aide in weapon retention and any other unexpected sudden "situations" that must be handled before you can reach your gun. Where allowed of course. Personally, if I remember correctly your question was about Arizona so with their laws, if it was me I would go with a cross draw since it is fast from a seated position (like seated in a pew at Church) but then I would be carrying more than one gun and several knives because lets be real. One never knows what a situation will require and where you will be able to reach without drawing unwanted attention in a timely manner as well as different situations may need different ammo to end they the fastest. To do that you need different guns, calibers, and loaded with ammo designed to meet different demands. It will take to long to change one guns ammo and innocents will die before you can engage. I know I sound evil but I have seen a lot in 70 years and learned from my own and others mistakes. You can't hesitate, the bad people made their choices before they put innocent lives at stake. When it is time to act you have to be cold and logical. If it has a gun it is a threat.

Hopefully some day I will get to relocate out of the Peoples Republic of California to Arizona; at least!

Howdy!

As a retired LEO of 37 years and 28 of that working in a undercover roll I have carried weapons in numerous possession. The one I decided on years ago was the appendix carry before it became so prevalent. The appendix carry is close to the centerline of the body an lease telegraphs movement when excessing the weapon. I know it works. I’ve used it and taught it to other UC’s who have also used it in violent confrontations and it has always proved effective. Be cause of that I still use it n my day to day carry.

“Happy Trails”
    Chiefneon
    Rabbit212 and Two Bears like this.

I have had a romance with shoulder holsters since the early 70's. I have found that the thin suede shoulder holsters are more concealable than the standard leather weight holsters. I have found that a smaller firearm is easier to deploy than a larger weapon and obviously carries much easier as well. IMHO: a pistol as large as a Glock 19 or M&P 2.0 Compact sizes can easily and discreetly be carried while being easily deployed.
    This is the type of shoulder holster I am referencing: https://www.galcogunleather.com/clas..._8_2_1057.html
    I have also found that several off shore companies are offering similar competitive products at half the price and of comparable quality.
    U.S. Army Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PPS1980 View Post
    Whatever you do, don't wear this!

Cross draw might be better given your church's informal atmosphere.
    That picture is misleading. That product is designed for rapid deployment AFTER an incident, not before. The purpose is for preventing blue on blue shooting. Personally, I'm not so sure about it, having to deal with an extra distraction in a situation that demands one's utmost attention.
    Two Bears likes this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSafety View Post
    That picture is misleading. That product is designed for rapid deployment AFTER an incident, not before. The purpose is for preventing blue on blue shooting. Personally, I'm not so sure about it, having to deal with an extra distraction in a situation that demands one's utmost attention.
    It was a joke......
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links