Concealing a shoulder holster

This is a discussion on Concealing a shoulder holster within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently joined my church's volunteer security team here in Arizona. Like most of the other team members, I carry concealed. I saw the video ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Concealing a shoulder holster

I recently joined my church's volunteer security team here in Arizona. Like most of the other team members, I carry concealed. I saw the video of the shooting at the West Freeway Church of Christ in Texas and noted the first person shot was one of the security team members. From what I saw, it appeared he had problems getting to his firearm fast enough because it was almost at his back, and possibly under an untucked shirt. He was shot just as his firearm came into view. I normally carry on my right hip at the 4 o'clock position. That incident got me to thinking I should be either carrying cross draw or in a shoulder holster for quick and easy access to my firearm if seated. My preference is for a shoulder rig (I carry a Beretta 92fs compact). If this wasn't AZ, the item of clothing to cover the shoulder rig would not be hard to find. Unfortunately, this IS AZ and my options for concealment without standing out (wearing a jacket) during the summer are limited. Any suggestions? Thanks
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothings. - Edmond Burke

Distinguished Member Array Rotorflyr's Avatar
    In church I doubt anyone would bat an eye if you were in slacks, a button down shirt and sports coat.....
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

I don't see how you would cover a shoulder rig without a suit jacket or sport coat. Cross draw under untucked shirt would probably be your quickest option while seated. I can see the need to shed a cover garment in the summer down there.
    Old Man, Melvin, M1911A1 and 1 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

MJK
    1. I appreciate your conundrum; I carry a G19 w two spare mags in a shoulder rig. During hot STL summers I wear a light t-shirt under an untucked, unbuttoned shirt as a cover.
    2. Regarding the White Settlement shooting, after watching the video it occurred to me that the first victim was clearly behind the immediate threat in attempting to draw. But more important was that his mindset dictated a response using his weapon. Given the circumstances and close proximity of the threat he could have instantly rushed and tackled the BG which may have saved his life.

This is Monday morning quarterbacking, but the lesson is this: just because you have a hammer doesn’t mean all your problems are nails.
    “I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you [mess] with me, I’ll kill you all."
    — James “Mad Dog” Mattis

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I have worn belt holsters, cross draw holsters, and shoulder holsters concealed and all have their own drawbacks. That said there is one shoulder holster I like above all others. That is the Galco Miami Classic. It holds my Beretta 92F securely and with 2 spare magazines the weight is well distributed. For belt carry I usually carry at the 3-4 o'clock position. While small of the back holsters are popular based on certain TV shows I do not care for them. Try to draw from a seated position and you are going to have problems. What you need to do is learn to draw from concealment the practice until it becomes second nature. Most people think all they need to do is pick a gun and holster throw it under a coat and they are good to go. Don't fall into that mindset. Learn the techniques and practice them and when finished practice some more. BTW I have been carrying openly and concealed for just over 40 years as an armed Security Officer, Private Investigator, and the last 25 years a Federal Police Officer. I'm sure there are other Officers here willing to give their advice. Listen to them and find the path that is best for you.

Distinguished Member Array MB53's Avatar
    I carry a G19 in a Galco Jackass shoulder holster and it's very comfortable and very concealable with any garment combination.
    Under a shirt, under a jacket...either works fine. It's well balanced with 2 spares on the weak side. And the wider shoulder straps make a big difference on the shoulders.

If I were carrying a Beretta 92, full or compact, I'd opt for the Jackass. As far as build and price, it's a well made rig for the money. You can spend more but there's really no need.
    baren likes this.

Regardless of how you go, as Black Knight said - practice, practice, practice. A shoulder holster can work well if you have a cover garment - I do use one especially when driving or sitting for a long time. But, muzzling others on the draw can be a problem. Since an adequate cover garment may not work for you, think about appendix carry. Your idea of cross draw may work a little better if seated, but a straight up appendix draw works better when standing. In either case, your cover can be an untucked shirt. Trainers I've worked with recommend appendix as best compromise. It does take some getting comfortable with, but I carry an SP-101 that way almost every day. Make sure you have a good, preferably hard-side/Kydex holster. And, I hope you and your church team get good, regular "professional level" training. Good for you for stepping up. God bless.
    Chaplain Scott likes this.
    Steve

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    I use an oversized black corduroy suit coat. It can work with denim or dress slacks. Everybody compliments me on how I look and nobody but two or three other CC's and the pastor know what's under it.
    OldChap and Old Man like this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorflyr View Post
    In church I doubt anyone would bat an eye if you were in slacks, a button down shirt and sports coat.....
    That was the first thing I thought of. At my church, I'd probably be overdressed in slacks and a sports coat.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothings. - Edmond Burke

VIP Member
    Whatever you do, don't wear this!

Cross draw might be better given your church's informal atmosphere.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Senior Moderator
    I carried my government 1911 in a Monarch rig, under a buttoned up long sleeve fishing shirt for a few days last summer. No one noticed.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

I must say in my opinion if we must have security in a religious place of worship I say we should be unnoticeable in other word not stand out and blend into the people around us because as the shooting showed us if you are known to be security your going to be one of the first targets .

Main thing is be covert while drawing and decisive after it is out.
    M1911A1 and OldChap like this.
    "Lets Be Careful Out There!"

Ron

I frequently carry a Glock 30S in a Galco Jackass rig. I normally just wear a light sport coat, but I can just wear it over a T-shirt and under an untucked, unbuttoned button down shirt.

https://www.galcogunleather.com/jack..._8_2_1167.html

Is it the fastest draw? Maybe not, but it is the least noticeable way to get your hand on the weapon without attracting a lot of attention. You do have to wear the outer shirt unbuttoned.

EDIT @MJK You beat me to it!

@Michael48632 The guy who got shot was not targeted because he was known to be security, He was targeted because he confronted the actor, then attempted to draw his weapon. Church security only needs to be heard, not seen. Plainclothes is the order of the day.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

I am so old, in the old days most men wore shirt & tie, sports coat to church.
    No problem then.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links