Advice for son please? - Page 2

Advice for son please?

This is a discussion on Advice for son please? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sometimes kids don't take advice from family very well. If he were to get that advice from someone else he might be more receptive. I ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree179Likes

Thread: Advice for son please?

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    Sometimes kids don't take advice from family very well. If he were to get that advice from someone else he might be more receptive. I know that sounds horrible, but I was like that when I was younger. Maybe you can buy him a training class for his birthday or something. Tell the instructor your concerns and ask him to weave the advice into the training.
    Last edited by Stirling XD; January 21st, 2020 at 05:09 PM.
    Has anyone tried turning the country off and then back on again?

Why did he start carrying that way? Perhaps you could send him here, or his choice of Facebook groups, or any knowledgeable instructor whose opinion he may value. Nobody credible would ever suggest carrying that way. Although I don’t know your son, I can only imagine it’s a matter of being detached from reality when it comes to both safety and gun fighting.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    a poor plan that is well executed will produce better results that a good plan that is poorly executed.

This is America. I have the right to go places. You have the right to stay home. You have the right to be upset about me going places. I have the right to not care.

Senior Member Array Bubblehead751's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxHeavy View Post
    So how old is he...…….
    He is in his last 20’s with a valid permit.

It is on him. I still try to add little bits of steerage when I can.
    Old Man and Rock and Glock like this.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Mountaineers are Always Free!

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

That's a tough age, raised 3 boys.....I was lucky, they understood at an early age what "Common Sense" was.
    airslot and Old Man like this.

Unload his pistol of live rounds and load the mags with snap caps.

Rush him from a distance of 10 yards and smash his head with a stick.

He will get the message.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post

He will get the message.
    Even better, cut the distance to about 7 yards, 21 feet.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post

He will get the message.
    Now that is what I call tough love

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    Now that is what I call tough love
    An old Afrikaans saying “ that which you don’t learn, you must feel”.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Consider paying for a FoF class, just for him (you don't go), and let him pick and register.

Let him know you're done pestering him about it; he's a man, it's his choice, you're good with it because at least he's carrying and there are others who do the same. But however he chooses to carry it's good to get some experience using it in a few realistic scenarios, and FoF can be fun. If he goes he'll figure out quickly how to survive... and you see where this is going.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Quote Originally Posted by Bubblehead751 View Post
    Any words of wisdom on how to change my sons ways. What I am doing is not working.

Discovered yesterday that my son carries in his coat pocket without a holster. I gave him a Vanguard trigger guard holster that he won’t use. He stated that he doesn’t need a holster since he does not keep the pistol chambered. I told him that is a good way to shoot yourself or someone you care about. He just got pissed off.
    Do you have wood shed?....Things can happen behind a wood shed that get a young one back in line.
    You are never to old for a trip to the wood shed.
    bullet183 and Workaholic like this.

Sometimes you just have to let them fall down and learn on their own.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by entertainment72 View Post
    I've got the opposite. My dad rarely carries and when he does it is unchambered. I've explained the problem carrying that way as much as I can but have had to just drop it.
    You may be up against "The powdered butt" syndrome. As in, those who powdered your butt when you were a baby are not likely to take advice from you, regardless of how timely, well-though-out, or providential it may be. Good luck, and the same tactics mentioned to help a son 'see the light' may work for a dad, too.

Maybe it's not your son? Maybe it's your delivery? I had an aversion to listening to my Dad well into my 30's because he was an authoritarian. He meant well, but his advice was not to be ignored! Unless, you know, you were his son! But, my Dad was never my friend, he was always my Dad first. Right up til he died. Good, bad, or indifferent, that's life.
    Last edited by oldIthink; January 21st, 2020 at 07:03 PM.
    Bubblehead751 and ETXhiker like this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubblehead751 View Post
    Any words of wisdom on how to change my sons ways. What I am doing is not working. ……………………....
    I've been in the same place that you feel like you are and felt the same way (extremely frustrated and concerned) with both of my sons. As the years pass, we get a whole lot smarter to these young folks.

There was a time when my son automatically ignored any advice I gave him on any subject. I swear he'd do the opposite of whatever I told him just because it came from me. But now he's a grown man of 28 and he sometimes asks my advice and follows it. As others have mentioned apparently I've gotten smarter over the years.

We all went through a period when we thought we knew everything. The world has a way of showing us that's not the case. Eventually. Some later than others.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links