I'm No Longer Able to Effectively Carry IWB - Page 2

I'm No Longer Able to Effectively Carry IWB

This is a discussion on I'm No Longer Able to Effectively Carry IWB within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; WB Mike! Sounds like you've found a workable solution to your problem. With my chronic pain/back issues, I haven't been able to carry IWB since ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree167Likes

Thread: I'm No Longer Able to Effectively Carry IWB

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    WB Mike!
    Sounds like you've found a workable solution to your problem.

With my chronic pain/back issues, I haven't been able to carry IWB since I changed from a 38 snub to the G19. The G19 settles well in an OWB at 3:30-4:00 or for short times an AIWB at 11:30.
    I also use a wedge for AIWB to tuck the grip frame in closer to my body.

I have exactly the opposite problem.
    Since I quit actively farming in 2018, I have gained 15-20 pounds. Most of that around my waist. Two problems with that. The added weight makes it more difficult to walk with the cane and pushes the grip out away from my body which makes concealing it more difficult.
    Mike1956 likes this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

VIP Member
    Welcome back Mike. Since you make your own holsters, it might take some time but you'll figure it out and be back to carrying all the time - soon, I hope.
    Mike1956 likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    Welcome back Mike. Since you make your own holsters, it might take some time but you'll figure it out and be back to carrying all the time - soon, I hope.
    Thanks. I actually am still carrying full time, just with other makers' holsters. This Dara model that I have works great after some modifications. I also have a JB leftie for a regular .45 Shield. I now have working models upon which to draw from to make AIWB holsters for my other carry guns.

For whatever reason, the photo app here insists on flipping my added pics around. Here is my 45 Shield Performance Center model with the RMSc red dot:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I'm No Longer Able to Effectively Carry IWB-img_0427.jpg  

"Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.”― Friedrich Nietzsche

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Thanks. I actually am still carrying full time, just with other makers' holsters. This Dara model that I have works great after some modifications. I also have a JB leftie for a regular .45 Shield. I now have working models upon which to draw from to make AIWB holsters for my other carry guns.

For whatever reason, the photo app here insists on flipping my added pics around. Here is my 45 Shield Performance Center model with the RMSc red dot:
    Mike, I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but I simply cannot see how that is comfortable when bending, driving, sitting, etc. Aaack.
    I'm glad it works for you, though.
    10thmtn, oldIthink, OD* and 1 others like this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wavygravy View Post
    Mike, I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but I simply cannot see how that is comfortable when bending, driving, sitting, etc. Aaack.
    I'm glad it works for you, though.
    I cannot see how it is comfortable while doing all those things, either, but it is. I had to make some serious mods on this particular holster (see the holes where the belt loops used to attach?) to make it work, but having done all that, it works very well.
    ShooterGranny, mike110 and OD* like this.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.”― Friedrich Nietzsche

Might try a hybrid holster at 3:00. I find them considerably more comfortable then standard kydex because leather is toughing you not plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post

Ouch! No, just...no. As a matter of fact, that would be the third degree of no.

Man, I can’t even look at that pic...

Wavygravy and oldIthink like this.
    Stay calm and listen to SKA!

IWB just doesn't work for me hard as I've tried with some fine holsters. Short periods here & there are manageable but I've settled on OWB 2:30-3:00 is my favorite sweet spot for all day comfort.
    Good subject matter for discussion …...
    Mike1956 likes this.
    Glock 19 Gen4
    Glock 43
    CZ P10 S

I have the Right to remain silent....just NOT the ability !!!
    NOT GIVING UP MY FREEDOMS

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    This is something that I have started doing.

Its amazing how our bodies can change, ( good or bad) in just a few years time.

I have found that placing some hard foam at the end of a kydex holster works great for additional comfort, and to allow for the grip to tuck in tighter to the body.

This makes much more sense to me than trying to buy more holsters, or spend time and money for another gun.
    That wedge makes all the difference for me. The JB came with one, which worked great right from giddyup. I added one to the Dara, which I am now wearing most days.

Distinguished Member
    Explain the wedge, please.

<edit> I was looking at the Dara website -- it says they've now replaced the wedge with a claw. I've already tried the claw w/ AIWB. It doesn't make it any more comfortable.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

JD
    Administrator
    Explain the wedge, please.

I was looking at the Dara website -- it says they've now replaced the wedge with a claw. I've already tried the claw w/ AIWB. It doesn't make it any more comfortable.
    Two different features. One should not replace the other.

This pic is courtesy of JM Kydex

The wedge can serve two purposes. Comfort and pushing the muzzle end of the holster away from the body to better cant the gun toward the body on the vertical axis.

The claw and other devices help cant the gun along the horizontal axis.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JD
    Administrator
    If the wedge is not needed for the tuck feature, a Dr Scholls heel.pad can do the trick for comfort.

Or you can mod a hybrid of the two as I sometimes use.

Also note that the claw is still being used.

Distinguished Member
    Thank you for a good detailed explanation, JD!
    JD likes this.
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

JD
    Administrator
    Thank you for a good detailed explanation, JD!
    You're welcome!

I was going to ask if you have tried cross draw, but I see you have.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links