I'm No Longer Able to Effectively Carry IWB

This is a discussion on I'm No Longer Able to Effectively Carry IWB within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Al in all, a good problem to have, but a problem nonetheless. I've weighed 215-225 or so ever since I began carrying regularly. At 5'10", ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree167Likes

Thread: I'm No Longer Able to Effectively Carry IWB

VIP Member

Al in all, a good problem to have, but a problem nonetheless.

I've weighed 215-225 or so ever since I began carrying regularly. At 5'10", most of my excess was carried around my stomach, above my waist. Even with a waist of 34", I was able to make 32/30-sized pants and trousers with flexible waistbands work for IWB. Over the past year and a half or so, my weight has dropped down to a current 187 lbs, while my waist is at a solid 30". With the gradual weight loss has come new problems with carry, two of which have made my traditional IWB 3:00 carry no longer tenable: my "cushion" against which my carry gun rode in that perfect niche is gone, as is the niche. I get rubbed raw in two places now when I try to carry at 3:00. Problem #2 is the constant print I experience at 3:00 due to the simple loss of real estate over there against which my rig would blend in under my carry garment.

Awhile ago, I ordered a left-handed IWB holster for my stock 45 Shields with the idea of carrying a second gun weak side as a back up. While the second gun plan never worked out due to the problems described above, I found that I could very comfortably and effectively carry AIWB at 11:30 with the proper rig. With that in mind, I recently ordered a right-handed Dara AIWB holster made around a .45 Performance Center Shield with a 4" barrel. With some fairly extensive tweaking and re-designing, I've gotten it to where it fits and works perfectly, still at the 11:30 carry position. For whatever reason, I can't find that perfect carry spot on the right side.

Now that I have the basic design down, I'll be building holsters for all my carry guns in the near future. Like I said, a good problem to have.

I have found the foam wedge to be critical for effective, comfortable AIWB carry.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.Ē― Friedrich Nietzsche

Senior Moderator
    It's nice to see you posting, Mike!

I am struggling with some similar matters and am now carrying an LCR at 1:00 with some (limited) success.

The struggle continues.

It is real.

First world problems.

USA problems.

You realize, Mike, as we age, and lose height, we need to lose more weight? I personally find that offensive. My Doctor added 8 more pounds to my goal.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Glad to see you back.

I've never been able to carry IWB. OWB at 3-4. I too need to drop 15-20 pounds, which shouldn't create any problems with carrying.
    Mike1956, 10thmtn and ETXhiker like this.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

It must have something to do with body type. At 5' 11", 215lbs with a 38" waist, I have no problem carrying iwb strong side hip, even with a full size 1911.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

I've found from going from 250 lbs down to 185 lbs carrying IWB in an AlienGear at 4:00 to 5:00 and and Uncle Mike's belt made all the difference in the world when carrying anything whether it be my Dan Wesson 15-2 or my Ruger Lc9s or my S&W 360. Seems pretty comfortable all the time

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    ETXhiker and Rock and Glock like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    It's nice to see you posting, Mike!

I am struggling with some similar matters and am now carrying an LCR at 1:00 with some (limited) success.

The struggle continues.

It is real.

First world problems.

USA problems.

You realize, Mike, as we age, and lose height, we need to lose more weight? I personally find that offensive. My Doctor added 8 more pounds to my goal.
    Thanks to one and all for the welcome back. A mental health break from time to time can be a good thing.

The whole weight thing became glaringly apparent to me when I was photographed in Israel two summers ago. I have been on a gradual weight loss course ever since.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.Ē― Friedrich Nietzsche

Congrats on the weight lose. I still carry larger guns just in front of my hip bone with a 15 degree cant and the barrel pointing just outboard. Yes, its carried against the hip bone but, I find in comfortable none the less. For true AIWB I have self stick Velcro on all my holsters and just experiment with my box of homemade wedges until I get one that works for that holster and gun combo.
    What you lost in 3:00 carry should make AIWB very doable. Good luck.
    I find the wide band pants and the wide band under shorts work best for my 2:30 carry because you eliminate potential hotspots on your hip.
    Mike1956, OD*, ETXhiker and 3 others like this.

Hey Mike1956, great to see you back!
    Mike1956, OD*, ETXhiker and 1 others like this.
    Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
    Mike Tyson

Everyone wants to eat, but few are willing to hunt....

Senior Moderator
    Yea Mike!

Good to see you!
    OD*, ETXhiker, Mike1956 and 2 others like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

ďFreedom and responsibility appear to have been no more than an experimental blip in human history.Ē

Welcome back Mike!

I admit to being a bit confused though...is AIWB not IWB? You just moved from the hip to the front, but still IWB, yes?

Personally, if you have to start sticking wedges and pads on the holster to make it tolerable...then Iím not sure thatís the best way to go.

Hope you find what works for you.
    Stay calm and listen to SKA!

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Welcome back Mike!

Personally, if you have to start sticking wedges and pads on the holster to make it tolerable...then Iím not sure thatís the best way to go.

This is something that I have started doing.

Its amazing how our bodies can change, ( good or bad) in just a few years time.

I have found that placing some hard foam at the end of a kydex holster works great for additional comfort, and to allow for the grip to tuck in tighter to the body.

This makes much more sense to me than trying to buy more holsters, or spend time and money for another gun.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

Distinguished Member
    Welcome back Mike. Good to "see" ya again.

I've quit trying to make AIWB comfortable. Got the holsters, the claws, etc. It's just not comfortable to me. I'm just not gonna start messing with foam pads. 3:30 -- 4:00 is fine with both subcompact and full size. I'm happy for everyone that can make AIWB work.
    ETXhiker, Mike1956 and 10thmtn like this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Same situation, I've been on a diet and exercise plan since last year. As I've lost weight and purchased a new more fit wardrobe, my gun has shifted further and further back on my hip to remain concealed. I borrowed my wife's AIWB rig and quite like it. I still haven't made the shift, but I feel more like I'm delaying the inevitable.
    ETXhiker and Mike1956 like this.

Senior Member Array Petroleum 1's Avatar
    I have had good luck with a belly band and loose fitting t shirt. I donít like belts so itís this or pocket carry. A belly band probably doesnít work well if you have a belly though. Welcome back Mike!!

Distinguished Member Array dennis40x's Avatar
    Yes welcome back Mike! The only inside the waist band holster I have is a Milt Sparks Summer Special that's employed with a 1911 series pistol. I'm just slightly under 10Lbs over my discharge weight from active duty USMC. It wasn't always that way, but I walk a lot as in miles and watch what I consume. My EDC is a S&W Shield 9x19mm in a outside the waist band holster. I'm retired so my dress is casual and besides that being an old man no one pays much attention to me and or my appearance anymore.
    ETXhiker, Mike1956 and mike110 like this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links