resident permits only

resident permits only

This is a discussion on resident permits only within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a question. Hopefully someone can explain it to me. I live in NC, I am going to SC on vacation, so I need ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By OldVet
  • 2 Post By OldVet

Thread: resident permits only

Smile resident permits only

I have a question. Hopefully someone can explain it to me.
    I live in NC, I am going to SC on vacation, so I need to know what resident permits only means?
    Thank you.

flh
    https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/res...p/sc-gun-laws/

Concealed carry is legal with a South Carolina Concealed Weapons Permits (CWP) or a license/permit from a state that South Carolina honors. CWPs are issued to residents, non-residents who own property in the state and military personnel stationed in South Carolina. Concealed carry permits require a firearms training course that has been approved by the state. The minimum age to obtain a CWP is 21 years old. In terms of reciprocity, South Carolina does not honor non-resident permits from other states. Some areas are off-limits, including schools and courthouses.

If it is ever your misfortune to be attacked, alertness will have given you a little warning, decisiveness will have given you a proper course to pursue, and if that course is to counterattack, carry it out with everything you've got! Be indignant. Be angry. Be aggressive.

Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Alfreda View Post
    I have a question. Hopefully someone can explain it to me.
    I live in NC, I am going to SC on vacation, so I need to know what resident permits only means?

Thank you.
    SC only honors resident CC permits from the states with which it has reciprocity. It does not honor non-resident permits from those states. So you would need to have a resident permit from NC. For instance, if you only had a non-resident permit from VA, SC would not accept that.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

flh
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    SC only honors resident CC permits from the states with which it has reciprocity. It does not honor non-resident permits from those states. So you would need to have a resident permit from NC. For instance, if you only had a non-resident permit from VA, SC would not accept that.
    The information provided is copied and pasted from >>https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/res...p/sc-gun-laws/

If it is ever your misfortune to be attacked, alertness will have given you a little warning, decisiveness will have given you a proper course to pursue, and if that course is to counterattack, carry it out with everything you've got! Be indignant. Be angry. Be aggressive.

Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by flh View Post
    The information provided is copied and pasted from >>https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/res...p/sc-gun-laws/
    I find their wording misleading sometimes. Such as the first sentence: "Concealed carry is legal with a South Carolina Concealed Weapons Permits (CWP) or a license/permit from a state that South Carolina honors." That sentence, taken alone, is not true. It is legal only with a resident permit. They say that later, but if you just read the first sentence, it is wrong. USCCA does not make the laws in SC, they only report them and reporting is only as good as the writing.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

flh
    I find their wording misleading sometimes. Such as the first sentence: "Concealed carry is legal with a South Carolina Concealed Weapons Permits (CWP) or a license/permit from a state that South Carolina honors." That sentence, taken alone, is not true. It is legal only with a resident permit. They say that later, but if you just read the first sentence, it is wrong. USCCA does not make the laws in SC, they only report them and reporting is only as good as the writing.
    Perhaps this will help South Carolina Law Enforcement Division

Jeff Cooper

Florida does likewise, will not honor any permit of which one is not a resident. Prevents acceptance of those who collect permits like Eagle Scout merit badges.
    Haywood and ShooterGranny like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Florida does likewise, will not honor any permit of which one is not a resident. Prevents acceptance of those who collect permits like Eagle Scout merit badges.
    Doesn’t Florida however offer a non-resident permit? A friend of mine has several to allow carry in more states. Not sure which all he had IN is honored by like 28states and with one of his others he gained like 10 more I believe in which he could carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnie View Post
    Doesn’t Florida however offer a non-resident permit? A friend of mine has several to allow carry in more states. Not sure which all he had IN is honored by like 28states and with one of his others he gained like 10 more I believe in which he could carry.
    Florida offers a Concealed Weapons and Firearm License (CWFL), which it issues to residents and non-residents alike. There is no distinction between resident and non-resident on the license itself. It doesn't even list an address on it, so it is not lawful "ID" and lawful ID must be presented with the license upon request. Technically I'd say you might be a non-resident with a Florida license.
    Gunnie and ShooterGranny like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Use the concealed carry site. Type in select North Carolina. The map will show what states accept NC permit. Apparently SC will accept a NC resident permit.

SC web page look up list of accepted permits.
    Last edited by OttoLoader; February 11th, 2020 at 07:55 PM.

flh
    Quote Originally Posted by OttoLoader View Post
    SC web page
    The op is from N.C. and requesting information about S.C.

Jeff Cooper

The op is from N.C. and requesting information about S.C.
    The SC LE web site lists states that SC has reciprocity. Rather than trusting the third party web site (concealed carry) it is better to check the gov source of the state you want to travel to. Also call that states LE or DOJ to be sure.

From the SC website.
    So a NC resident permit holder should be OK.

As a comparison.
    The concealed carry tool is set up to provide states that accept the reference state.
    So if you identify NC as the reference state in the tool, then the map presents all state status. This also shows that SC accepts the NC resident permit.

Where can you find a list of SC restricted locations?
    Courthouses, schools, etc?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimCunn View Post
    Where can you find a list of SC restricted locations?
    Courthouses, schools, etc?
    Contact the SC Attorney General's Office, or start with www.handgunlaw.us, Gary Slider does a very good job keeping up with state requirements.

I think the agency in South Carolina is going to be listed under the acronym SLED South Carolina Law Enforcement Division
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Sponsored Links