So if my state passes Constitutional Carry.....

This is a discussion on So if my state passes Constitutional Carry..... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For those of you in Constitutional Carry states, how does it work when you travel? My state is looking to pass it now. While it's ...

Like Tree16Likes
  • 4 Post By WrongRecroom
  • 4 Post By Conundrum
  • 1 Post By oldIthink
  • 2 Post By Rock and Glock
  • 2 Post By Workaholic
  • 2 Post By azretired
  • 1 Post By Nmuskier

Thread: So if my state passes Constitutional Carry.....

VIP Member

For those of you in Constitutional Carry states, how does it work when you travel? My state is looking to pass it now. While it's a great thing within itself, what about traveling to other states that are now reciprocal? Since there will no longer be a permit, per se, how will that work?

And please don't tell me to get a non-resident permit for any and every state I might want to drive to. That sounds ridiculous and it's something no one should ever be subjected to.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Its state to state how they do it ..

For AZ we still issues permits if you want to travle outside the state ... Most state will issues permits still for this reason .....And UT permit will cover most free states as well if it comes to that ...
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

When Mississippi passed it they kept issuing permits so you could travel.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need it and don't have it, you'll never need it again.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    When Mississippi passed it they kept issuing permits so you could travel.
    I think this is true in every Constitutional carry state. I wish these states would honer each others Constitutional carry or expand it to anyone in the state, resident or not like many do.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    I think this is true in every Constitutional carry state. I wish these states would honer each others Constitutional carry or expand it to anyone in the state, resident or not like many do.
    That would be the best answer. If your driver's license is from a Constitutional Carry state and the state you're in is reciprocal, that should settle it.

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    That would be the best answer. If your driver's license is from a Constitutional Carry state and the state you're in is reciprocal, that should settle it.
    It should but we all know what their argument would be...it's too much to keep track of or sumsuch..

It could be like a CDL and have it right on the back as an endorsement or restriction just like air brakes or eyeglasses respectively.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    UT permit will cover most free states as well if it comes to that ...
    Be careful to check the law where you're going though, several states (Colorado) do not honor nonresident permits

I just said in a different thread how a 'nice place to live' soon turns into a 'not so nice place to live' when everybody moves there. Colorado being a case in point. When I lived there in the 80's it was entirely bearable, these days with the 'progressive' left taking over from California, not so much. Everyone I know that lived there has moved away as the liberals took over.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Senior Moderator
    www.handgunlaw.us is your friend
    flh and tahmail like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    www.handgunlaw.us is your friend
    It's a great site indeed, but I haven't seen them cover this particular issue. They tell what states honor other states' permits but I haven't seen it addressed where a state no longer uses permits because of Constitutional Carry.

-miklcolt45

Here in Kansas, we have Constitutional Carry. Anyone in the state, visitors included, can take advantage of this. When I was looking at how to carry when traveling to South Dakota, I called Nebraska, and spoke with someone at the Concealed Carry permit office, there was a specific LE officer they directed me to, to answer the questions. Turns out, I could open carry in Nebraska without a permit, but would need a permit for cc. Did the same thing for South Dakota. Wasn't going to be an issue as far as the state laws. Also spoke with the Leo's of my destination, to check local laws. Decided not to carry due to the police at the destination not knowing for sure how it would be handled. (Reservation). Good luck with your research, and your trip.
    SpringerXD and tcbradbury98 like this.
    1987-1991 Army Guard/Regular Army
    1996-2014 Navy- Retired

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    I still got my permit. I can travel and carry in all the states around me, except the communist state of Illinois.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Arizona allows anyone to conceal carry as long as you are over 21 and not a felon, regardless of what state you are from.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk
    demanic and sdprof like this.
    Livin' the Life!
    NRA Patron Life Member

Here in New Hampshire, they still issue permits if you want one, so my wife and I got them, specifically for travel.

Vermont is maybe the only state that does not issue a permit. They are completely constitutional carry. No restrictions on anything beyond federal law. Funny, coming from such a progressive state.
    demanic likes this.
    Psalm 144:1

Sponsored Links