Cargo Pants - 5.11 vs Duluth for FRONT Pocket Carry

This is a discussion on Cargo Pants - 5.11 vs Duluth for FRONT Pocket Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For those who have tried both Duluth and 5.11, which has deeper front pockets and will conceal a pocket carry pistol the best? Discuss!...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Cargo Pants - 5.11 vs Duluth for FRONT Pocket Carry

VIP Member

For those who have tried both Duluth and 5.11, which has deeper front pockets and will conceal a pocket carry pistol the best?

Discuss!

"I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

I've never had an issue with pocket carrying in my Tru-Spec cargo pants.
    Holmes375 likes this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

BHC
    All the cargo pants that I have tried seem to have pockets that are too deep, making it hard to draw quickly. My Duluth jeans seem to be the perfect depth for a P365 or LCPii in a cloth holster.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array Well_Regulated's Avatar
    I don't like cargo pants. I have two pair of 5.11 Covert Tactical 2.0 trousers, and they have plenty deep pockets. Of course, a lot depends on what gun you plan on carrying...
    gasmitty likes this.
    You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BHC View Post
    All the cargo pants that I have tried seem to have pockets that are too deep, making it hard to draw quickly. My Duluth jeans seem to be the perfect depth for a P365 or LCPii in a cloth holster.
    Well.... speed of the draw isn't really a priority for me with a pocket holster. My biggest concern is concealment and not printing.
    BHC likes this.

-miklcolt45

Distinguished Member
    I have no experience with 5.11 cargos, but have worn Wranglers, Dockers, Haggar, and now wear Duluth "Duluthflex" standard fit cargos. They are by far the best made and most comfortable I've tried. The front pockets are roomy and the material is heavy enough that it really helps conceal a pocket carry pistol. I much prefer cargos over jeans and have not worn a pair of jeans in 4 years.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Iíve pocket carried in jeans and 5.11 Flex cargo pants. Never tried Duluth though I keep intending to buy a pair.

I gave up on cargo pants after my wife said they ďmake you look like you have a loaded diaper.Ē

Only wear jeans, khakis or suits now.

Happy wife, happy life. Or so Iím told...
    ThirdShift, flh, SWIll and 4 others like this.
    Carry a sidearm always. Be able to put shots into the torso and then head, if needed. The rest is much less important.

I have CCW Breakaways, 511, Duluth Trading Firehose and Wranglers.

i used to hate Cargo pants, but I tried the Duluth Trading and now that is my preferred casual/yard wear.

The 511s are too deep for me and the CCW Breakaways are tolerable but not enough colors to suit me. Both are better in a dress casual situation.

I have lost a lot of weight in the last year due to a throat cancer (now gone) and can not find the Wranglers in my size for pocket carry.

The Duluth Trading are great, well made pants. I have come to like the cargo pants because in the last 5 months I have started carrying a backup revolver. Primary in strong side pocket or IWB or OWB and weak side a snub revolver.
    SpringerXD likes this.

I only have certain Duluth, but I can get my 686 in the pocket. J frame and lcp are easy.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Struckat View Post
    I only have certain Duluth, but I can get my 686 in the pocket. J frame and lcp are easy.
    But how good is the concealment in those? Do they print much?

-miklcolt45

Sure, it looks like I have something in my pocket. Everyone has stuff in their pockets.

What happens is the gun will end up on top of my thigh instead of along side. Itís because front pockets are in the front and not on the side.
    I have yet to find pants where the pockets hang more to the side.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I gave up on cargo pants after my wife said they ďmake you look like you have a loaded diaper.Ē

Only wear jeans, khakis or suits now.

Happy wife, happy life. Or so Iím told...
    Happy Dad nobody's sad.
    10thmtn, SWIll and Tenring1911 like this.

I worked through a few brands of cargo pants/shorts before I tried the DTC stuff. Carhartt, Wrangler and 5.11's. I much prefer the DTC stuff. Large enough to carry a P229 RX comfortably and just well thought out pants. Where it places the gun on my thigh is the most comfortable of the lot also. I'm not always having to reposition it when I get in a car, sit in a chair, etc. Velcro is strong enough to keep the flap closed even with a bigger gun, but releases quickly for the draw.

I'm a little miffed at DTC, though. The prices are high but they HAD a lifetime "no bull" warranty on them, and I'd used it a few times over the years. They recently changed it to only be "no bull" for a year, and then it's a maybe thing after that. Makes it hard to justify the prices now, although they have sales several times a year that makes them more reasonable.
    SpringerXD likes this.

I never had an issues with a pocket holster or a pocket handgun in more normal pockets from Columbia , Carhartt , Key , Dickies and a few more brand and one pair I got from Tractor supply that are looow priced Blue Mountian pants . Bought them for normal work day wear but there nicer pants . I like and I have no cargo pocket pants so . All mine I have to rock a little at the waist to touch the bottom of the pockest and big enought to spread my fingers so how much room do your needd ? Carry a 3.6 full grip pistol !! To large a pocket may not control a holster and pistol well enough to be as quick as pocket carry might be at its best . I will say my view on pocket pistol would be in the size class of a snubby or cm9 that were my pocket handguns over the years , today maybe a p365 and hellcat . Anything larger is a iwb carry for me .

I tend to make my own leather pocket holsters too .
    SpringerXD likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links