Front pocket carry concern!

This is a discussion on Front pocket carry concern! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I now regularly carry a small semi auto in a front pants pocket, but it always bothers me that it is pointing right at the ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: Front pocket carry concern!

I now regularly carry a small semi auto in a front pants pocket, but it always bothers me that it is pointing right
    at the person sitting across from me if I am sitting down. I'm an experienced shooter, and never point a barrel at anyone,
    even with an unloaded gun. This is a big issue for me, even with an empty chamber.
    I would like some thoughts/ideas from anyone who has ever wrestled with this.
    Thanks!
    PS - I'm new to this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by nosegunner View Post
    I now regularly carry a small semi auto in a front pants pocket, but it always bothers me that it is pointing right
    at the person sitting across from me if I am sitting down. I'm an experienced shooter, and never point a barrel at anyone,
    even with an unloaded gun. This is a big issue for me, even with an empty chamber.
    Thanks!
    First, welcome!

Second, consider that no matter how you carry, at some time you are going to have your weapon oriented towards somebody or something you do not want to shoot, whether itís somebodyís foot or a family pet.

Proper holster selection that protects the trigger is the key to 100% safety.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

Carry in your back pocket of your pants or a jacket pocket.
    xXxHeavy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I understand your concern, however, there is no method of carry that will not, from time to time result in your gun pointing a direction you donít necessarily want it to. My LCP lives in a vedder pocket locker. Itís as safe as any method of carry.
    10thmtn and OldChap like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    First, welcome!

Second, consider that no matter how you carry, at some time you are going to have your weapon oriented towards somebody or something you do not want to shoot, whether itís somebodyís foot or a family pet.

Proper holster selection that protects the trigger is the key to 100% safety.
    Poor Fido! Lol.
    Seriously, to the OP you may want to consider back pocket carry, or just try not to over think it. Providing you're using a good pocket holster, I can't see how it would be any more dangerous than any other method of carry, so no it doesn't bother me.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

Nosegunner, welcome to the forum.

I carry a Sig P365 in a Kydex pocket holster a couple of days a week. I've never been concerned about it. How is the pistol going to fire if the trigger is protected by a holster? It's not going to happen. Although I applaud your safety consciousness, your concern is not something you need to worry about it.
    You are your own first responder.

Senior Member Array entertainment72's Avatar
    This again!?

Put it in a good holster and you're plenty safe.

Now back to caliber wars, chambered or unchambered and 1911 vs Glock!
    G26Raven, xXxHeavy, mkh and 2 others like this.

Welcome to the forum nosegunner.

I pocket carry most every day. I've never had a problem with where the barrel is pointing because I always use a proper pocket holster.

I like leather or kydex holsters when carrying a striker fired gun without a manual safety.

I mostly carry a DAO snubby, so I'm okay with a soft sided holster. (Remora or Sticky type)

Today I'm carrying my LCR 38 in a Blackhawk #4, weakside (left) front pocket. I love these holsters. Extremely"Sticky" and very thin and light.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Front pocket carry concern!-screenshot_20200216-115024_gallery_1581875770729.jpg  

Front pocket carry concern!-20200216_121546_1581876984265.jpg  

OldChap and Texas Red like this.

I've carried for many years and this is always a concern for people as they just start out. I have a solution for your fears. Follow this procedure to the letter:

Make sure nobody is in the house with you. Put your chosen carry gun in a quality holster that covers the trigger, and set it on the table in front of you. Watch it intently for 4 hours gazing with all your might at the gun. Say to yourself repeatedly during the whole 4 hour period, "Go ahead, make my day." If it goes off without you ever touching it, get rid of it immediately.

If it doesn't go off all by itself, you're good to go. Put it in your pocket and carry on.

Welcome to the forum.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nosegunner View Post
    Thanks!
    The rules of safe gun handling apply when guns are actually being handled, not carried safely in the holster.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Welcome aboard. See posts number 9 and 10.
    OldChap likes this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Welcome to the forum! Are you using a quality pocket holster that completely covers the trigger guard? If not, youíll find lots of discussion about pocket holsters on this forum. Once you take care of that, do a search on condition zero or empty chamber carry.

Keep that pocket empty of anything else other than your pistol in a good pocket holster and sit down and relax.

The four rules of gun safety are for when the gun is in hand and being actively handled, from a resting position or otherwise, and the rules are relative to the situation.

How do you inspect the bore of a fixed barrel gun if not putting the muzzle to your eye under proper light?
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

Just in case, be sure to sit directly across from your Mother-in-Law whenever possible
    If you use JP-8, then it's technically not waterboarding

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links