An idea is born.

An idea is born.

This is a discussion on An idea is born. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Back in 1984, a little Gun Company ordered 10 Glock 17 pistols from an Austrian Company, Glock. This Company was called Practical Pistols Inc. And ...

Like Tree45Likes
  • 20 Post By Scouse
  • 2 Post By dangerranger
  • 6 Post By Scouse
  • 1 Post By G26Raven
  • 7 Post By ShooterGranny
  • 2 Post By Scouse
  • 3 Post By mkh
  • 4 Post By Scouse

Thread: An idea is born.

Distinguished Member Array Scouse's Avatar

An idea is born.

Back in 1984, a little Gun Company ordered 10 Glock 17 pistols from an Austrian Company, Glock. This Company was called Practical Pistols Inc. And was located in a Lawyers Office in Toronto Canada.
    The three owners were friends, two Lawyers, and a self-employed Firearms Instructor, me!

Mr Gaston Glock, and a young Engineer, came to visit me, they stayed at the Royal York Hotel. Gaston wanted me to start up the Glock North America branch. Rent a warehouse, and buy 40,000 Glock 17s!! Needless to say, that did not happen.

Mr Glock did contact me again, in 1987, and asked me to train the Quebec Police tactical team firearms instructors (7 of them) in their Glock 17, away from Ruger Revolvers. I asked who was going to pay? "They are," he said.

So said, so done. The only holsters available, Glock manufactured polymer ones, that detached from a duty belt, with the pistol still in its casing. They were never meant to be used to drawn from in a training course! Like many many times.
    So each student ended up with blisters on their thumbs! Which I taped up with target patching tape.
    When asked why? By the Superintendant. I told him because I could not speak French, it was a means of IDing my Students. He almost believed me.
    Nobody questioned me walking to Lunch carrying a Glock Pistol! This beautiful dining hall served wine with lunch!
    What an experience for all concerned. These Officers were right hard cases! I left them with my written training program, so they could teach the rest of the team, 30 in all. The booklets were the wire-bound type, giving each student a written page on one side, a plain side to write notes on (In French!)

That was the first Revolver to Glock Pistol Training class in the World. Real different. Especially with the French component!

And If you had bought those 40,000 pistols You would be the face of Glock North! DR
    G26Raven and airslot like this.

Yes DR I would, but my demise would have followed right quick, with stress! I loved working for myself. I arranged a sale of Canadian Mil-Spec 9mm ammo, 30,000 rounds of IVI 124g hardball. Our new Glock 17 was suffering from light primer hits. I sent a box (64 rounds) to Austria. The firing pin profile then was a blade shape, they made it a sharper profile, improved it quite a bit.
    An engineer friend of mine found a 100% fix. A handheld primer seater, could be adjusted to lightly push against the primer, which spread it a little, crush it in more? This totally cured the problem. No more miss fires.
    This ammo never misfired when shot in Sten Sub Guns. I have noticed a new firing pin in my Glock 43X, no blade.

I bought 30,000 rounds of IVI surplus 9mm Ammo, at a Military exhibition in Ottawa Canada. From a retired Canadian General. Gen. JJ Paradice. For $3,000.00 Canadian. The General gave me a receipt, on the back of one of his checks. Three months later I got a demand note from the Canadian Government, saying I owed them 10% tax.

I sent them a photocopy of the receipt stating paid in full! They, the Government now sent a note reducing the cost of the ammo to just
    $2,700.00 the 10% was paid. Hilarious.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

What a great story, Scouse!
    airslot likes this.
    Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
    Mike Tyson

Everyone wants to eat, but few are willing to hunt....

VIP Member
    Thanks for sharing your most interesting personal history lesson. I respect you for knowing that the path to riches would have been your undoing as a person, and for pursuing things that were suited to you. Truly, for most of us, money is not everything. Peace of mind is more valuable than gold.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

Not mine either, but at 84 YOA, I seem to be getting there! Just so happened to take my own personal Granny out to BoneFish last night.
    (My wife) and the 41-year-old Lady from next door, she helps with our gardening! We laughed for an hour and a half, also with the young server, he thinks we all are nuts! My Glock 19 sat quietly under a bright Florida shirt. As we shooters say? Just in case.
    mkh and airslot like this.

mkh
    Just me and a Sig 1911 in a foxhole somewhere in NE FL
    I'll be 64 in May. I'm retired and the wife will retire Friday. I can't wait to experience retirement and hopefully avoid this growing old thing.
    Poorly, airslot and montejames like this.
    Be the kind of man that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap he's up!"

MKH
    We have been retired together for 18 years, and wake up with smiles every day. Our latest medical breakthroughs. Cataract surgery. Me last year, my wife in Jan.
    So after poor vision for quite some time, both 20-20 now. I also can see the front sight just fine.

Fifteen years ago we moved to join our Son in the USA. And now are US Citizens. A novel way, legally!
    Not required to clear snow? Real good. Said this Floridian.

Sponsored Links