Magazine Capacity Limits While Traveling Through States - Page 3

Magazine Capacity Limits While Traveling Through States

This is a discussion on Magazine Capacity Limits While Traveling Through States within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Until We the People demand that the 2nd Amendment restrictions upon the power of government to infringe upon our Right to Keep and Bear Arms ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Magazine Capacity Limits While Traveling Through States

Until We the People demand that the 2nd Amendment restrictions upon the power of government to infringe upon our Right to Keep and Bear Arms is enforced, this will continue.

The States are bound by the 2nd Amendment just as the Federal Government is as they were required to accept the entire Constitution and its restrictions in order to become a State in the first place.

People seem to let this slide in regards to gun laws.

Shall not be infringed, plain and simple.
    demanic likes this.

10 round mags with ball ammo only. Some states have restrictions on hollow point ammo also. And that is even if you have the pistol unloaded and properly locked up with the ammo in a different location!
    "Fiel pero desdichado"
    Loyal but unfortunate.

family Motto of Winston Churchill

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TangoHotel View Post
    I have an iPhone app called "Legal Heat" that has that info and more for all the states.

Another one called "Posted!" that has a list/map of all non-gun friendly and gun friendly businesses around you (GPS).

Pretty handy...
    I have and use both apps. I never travel out of state without referring to each state's Legal Heat status as laws can change with little notice. I also like the fact that Posted allows users to add locations that are or aren't gun friendly if they aren't already in the data base as well as submitting edits, photos, or changes to existing data base locations.
    TangoHotel likes this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

If everything else is legal, just pick-up a couple of 10 rounders (or go the revolver route) and continue on.

On CA trips, I usually just go with a Model 64 snub secured per CA DOJ requirements and a 25 round box of ammo, like the Speed 135 gr Gold Dot or 158 gr TMJ +P loads. Not really available for immediate self-defense (except in hotel room at night) but definitely available if everything go south while I am there.
    Arkancide- Three self-inflicted gunshots to the head with hands tied behind the back.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

Quote Originally Posted by BillG174 View Post
    I have checked handgunlaw.us for several states that have a 10 round magazine limit law. I can't find the answer to my question.

I carry a Glock 17 with a 17 round magazine and a Glock 19 with a 15 round magazine. If I travel by car or visit someone in a state that has a 10 round magazine limit I am unlawful? If I am, I don't think the law would allow me to only load the mag with 10 rounds. I armed only when I travel or visit in states that are CCW reciprocal with my home state of Kansas.
    Remember this, in those states with a 10 round capacity law, it is the capacity of the magazines that matter not how many are actually loaded. So travel with only 10 rounds mags, leave the 17/15 rounders at home. Just having them in your possession is illegal. I travel with and carry revolvers, capacity is not an issue.
    Livin' the Life!
    NRA Patron Life Member

Isn't this issue one that Trump said he was going to look into? Maybe I'm wrong. He's not as pro-gun as he makes it sound, that's clearly evident.

I think the bottom line is that you must adhere to the laws of the state through which you are traveling. The sole exception to that MIGHT be if you stay on the interstate and just go straight on through being very careful not to draw state trooper attention. I worry that my Tennessee license plate might constitute “probable cause” to search for weapons in some communist state like New Jersey or Maryland. Of course, neither of those places has reciprocity with my state so there’s not a chance that I’ll ever drive through either. The sure solution to your problem is to carry a revolver. More capacity is nice but your skills should be such that you remove the threat from the top of the magazine rather than the bottom. Because each miss is a potential criminal charge or civil lawsuit, right?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 31 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; NRA Patriot Benefactor Life; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO. IDPA, USPSA, STEEL CHALLENGE competitor. RETIRED Social Studies Educator as of 12/7/2018

A couple thoughts:

1) As has been mentioned, the 1986 Firearm Owner Protection Act (FOPA) provides protection for someone travelling through a state if their firearm would be illegal in that state. I can find no reference that magazines/accessories would be included in that protection. Probably because magazine limits weren't a concern back then as much as they are now.

2) Be aware that just because a STATE does not have a magazine limit, does not mean there isn't a limit in some cities/municipalities. Many states have pre-emption laws such that a city cannot enact it's own firearm laws - but not all do. So, your perfectly legal magazines in a state could be illegal when entering a city. I seem to recall hearing of a 7-round limit in one instance, but cannot find it now.

Unless/until the Supreme Court takes a case or until our legislature does something, it would seem the only way to be sure you are 100% compliant is to only take 10-round magazines when traveling (assuming there is no place you are travelling with a lower limit).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links