Am I the only one concerned about the panic to buy guns? - Page 4

Am I the only one concerned about the panic to buy guns?

This is a discussion on Am I the only one concerned about the panic to buy guns? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Wavygravy ... and be sure to have plenty of toilet paper, milk, and bread. "Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will ...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 129
Like Tree505Likes

Thread: Am I the only one concerned about the panic to buy guns?

  1. #46
    VIP Member Array OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Florida Twilight Zone
    Posts
    33,419
    Quote Originally Posted by Wavygravy View Post
    ... and be sure to have plenty of toilet paper, milk, and bread. "Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth"
    I'll quote OldVet's quote.
    People should listen to that song. It made sense then, makes even more sense now.

    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...62a114f2c4aac2
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

  2. #47
    VIP Member
    Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Southeast
    Posts
    3,033
    It doesn't worry me in the least. In fact, I see it as a great thing because more and more people are waking up to the fact that police can't protect the populace. In fact, they aren't required to protect anyone as determined by the Supreme Court, but that's another thread.

    So, the next time a leftist politician decides to ban guns to "keep everyone safe," maybe at least some of these people will remember the panic they felt that caused them to run out and buy their first gun, and they'll "just say no."
    matthew03 and graydude like this.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

    -miklcolt45

  3. #48
    VIP Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Gulf Coast of Alabama
    Posts
    5,853
    [QUOTE=OldVet;7946332]People should listen to that song. It made sense then, makes even more sense now.

    I would also add Don Henley's song "Dirty Laundry". Both songs although old, are very relevant to current issues!
    Tstone, mmb617 and Rock and Glock like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

  4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #49
    Member Array norcalAF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    US
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    Well, with everyone buying guns it will make things harder if they try to confiscate them.

    The day I turned 21 (over 40 years ago) I bought my first pistol and put my application in at the Sheriff's Office.

    Everybody has to start somewhere.
    Yes, more legally obtained arms in the hands of citizens is always a good thing, a rifle behind every blade of grass!
    mkh and SpringerXD like this.

  6. #50
    VIP Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    6,282
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSafety View Post
    I'm concerned over one of these people shooting someone over a roll of toilet paper, or using the firearm to stop a verbal altercation. Bad reflection on responsible gun owners. I'm also concerned about people buying a firearm they are totally unfamiliar with and it being too powerful or too complicated for them. Have you seen any of the videos of people who never touched a gun before as they try to figure out how to load and fire it? One of the worst was the AR! They'll be frustrated by it and give up firearms all together. Or they'll die because when they need it they can't figure it out. Great they are buying them, but not great if they have a horrible experience because of their ignorance, either of the law, the manual of arms, or basic firearm safety.
    Forgive me if I am wrong, but arenít you the person who threw car keys at a vehicle doing donuts in a parking lot?
    You are speaking about your own kind here.
    Appalachian Concealment


    I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

  7. #51
    Senior Member Array rlggray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,156
    I am not concerned at all.

  8. #52
    VIP Member
    Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Southeast
    Posts
    3,033
    If you really want a 60's song that captures the spirit of our times, look no further:

    matthew03 and OD* like this.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

    -miklcolt45

  9. #53
    VIP Member Array LimaCharlie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northwest Oregon
    Posts
    15,138
    Best 1960s advice song.


    Rockymonster and OD* like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

  10. #54
    VIP Member Array MMinSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    charleston,sc
    Posts
    3,892
    I am not concerned at all. The things other people legally purchase with their own money is none of my business.
    matthew03, Recon1342 and OD* like this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

  11. #55
    Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    1,936
    Quote Originally Posted by GraySkies View Post
    I struggle a little bit when I hear this perspective. It strikes me the same as all of these elitist politicians who say "we need to decide everything in your life for you, since you are not as smart as us and can't figure it out for yourselves." Those of us that have some formal training, and use our firearms regularly, can have a tendency to worry about large numbers of new firearms owners joining us in a short period of time, because we are comparing what we know to what they potentially don't. That is understandable on some level, but the fears that we sometimes have about that don't actually logically follow from the situation.

    Lots of stupid people will probably buy guns in this panic, and may even do stupid things with them. Guns are dangerous, but they are NOT rocket science or brain surgery. While many stupid people may be out there buying, there are probably just as many rational, intelligent people out there buying guns now, for the very first time. Perhaps they didn't grow up with guns, or otherwise never had any interest in them due to lack of exposure, but have now realized that they should have thought about this before.

    I have a high level of confidence that a normal, rational, intelligent person can buy a gun, figure out how to use it safely, carry it safely, and store it safely, and do so without causing any unnecessary death or mayhem. They may not become "skilled" without some formal training and help, but having basic ability and operating with basic safety does not require training. It only requires a brain, and access to information. I choose to believe (with obvious good reason) that half the people out there are of above average intelligence. There is no real reason to think that they don't make up a normal proportion of those that are suddenly realizing that having a gun is an important step in taking responsibility for yourself and your family. Since it's an intelligent realization, they may even be a greater proportion. These folks will end up as valuable allies in the end, whatever their political persuasion.

    When we see all the stupid people fighting over rolls of toilet paper in the aisle at the discount store, I think it's easy to forget that those ARE the stupid people. The normal, rational people aren't hoarding toilet paper at all, and are living their lives normally. Those people at the discount store are a concentration of the stupid and irrational folks in one place. They are not representative of a cross-section of our fellow citizens as a whole (at least I sure hope not...).

    I think I prefer to focus on cheering the new contingent of normal, intelligent first-time gun owners, rather than fearing the stupid, irresponsible ones. Just a preference, but I think that, ultimately, there's no compelling reason to choose the latter over the former...
    I hardly believe the government knows best. Other than little things like national parks, I can't think of much the government has its hands into that works well, or even works. I hope these people will educate themselves in the safe and proper use. Realistically, a lot of these people will just have their newly acquired self-defense tool sitting in a drawer, never to be used or seen again. I think that's too bad too.

    OTOH, what happens when we have Mr. Panic Snowflake use his newly acquired tool to secure himself a few rolls of TP? This just gives the Bloomberg, Gifford, lil' boss Hogg, Moms Demand Action, etc.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

  12. #56
    VIP Member
    Array spclopr8tr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    SE Tennessee
    Posts
    3,938
    No, I'm not concerned. I think anyone who is legally allowed to own a gun should own a gun if they want one. Sometimes it takes a crisis to convince some people they should own one. The more the merrier. And the more owners there are, the harder it is going to be for politicians to get elected on an anti-gun platform.
    MMinSC, matthew03 and Recon1342 like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

    Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

  13. #57
    Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    1,936
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    Forgive me if I am wrong, but arenít you the person who threw car keys at a vehicle doing donuts in a parking lot?
    You are speaking about your own kind here.
    He was endangering property and wouldn't stop. Even the police agreed with my handling of the situation. He was a danger to the public and to private property. I am security for the property, so it IS my business and my job to protect property and people.
    Last edited by RedSafety; March 19th, 2020 at 01:53 PM.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

  14. #58
    Senior Member Array rlggray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,156
    Quote Originally Posted by spclopr8tr View Post
    I think anyone who is legally allowed to own a gun should own a gun if they want one.



    100% !!

    I'm totally for 2A.
    matthew03 likes this.

  15. #59
    VIP Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    6,282
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSafety View Post
    He was endangering property and wouldn't stop. Even the police agreed with my handling of the situation. He was a danger to the public and to private property. I am also security for the property, so it IS my business and my job.
    You are wrong then, and are still wrong now. Thatís how you escalate things into a shooting, it was only chance that it did not occur. So those people you are worried about... they are you, Sir.
    Appalachian Concealment


    I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

  16. #60
    VIP Member
    Array Pete63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Magnolia, Texas
    Posts
    3,724
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSafety View Post
    He was endangering property and wouldn't stop. Even the police agreed with my handling of the situation. He was a danger to the public and to private property.I am also security for the property, so it IS my business and my job.


    While I may agree with this, throwing keys at the car was a very poor decision. Let the maroon wreck his car. Wait for patrol, whom would be able to legally pursue them. If you're on foot, you're NO MATCH for a 4,000# weapon!
    Last edited by Pete63; March 19th, 2020 at 02:36 PM.
    graydude, matthew03 and Recon1342 like this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •