Am I the only one concerned about the panic to buy guns?

This is a discussion on Am I the only one concerned about the panic to buy guns? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I see people lined up in the streets (less than 6 feet apart) waiting to buy what I assume to be a defensive carry weapon ...

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree505Likes

Thread: Am I the only one concerned about the panic to buy guns?

I see people lined up in the streets (less than 6 feet apart) waiting to buy what I assume to be a defensive carry weapon for most of them. Will they become responsible and conscience owners: or will they be on the edge ready to gun down anything that makes them nervous. Will a bunch of fly by night firearm instructors pop up ready to train them.

I think owning a gun is a conscience decision one should make not a panic buy like a pregnancy test or cold sore cream.
    I'm your daddy. Now what do I do????

in times of uncertainty people like to think a gun will get them through the crisis. They want to pretend they can take care of themselves if it all goes south in a hurry.
    Unfortunately, most guns purchased will never be fired and will sit in a dresser drawer for years untouched.

that was me in the fall of 1994 before the AWB took effect, and September 2011, October 2008, and again in October 2012. Now I pass the gun store lines and thank God my time for that nonsense has come and gone.
    Give to them according to their deeds and according to the wickedness of their endeavors; give to them according to the work of their hands; render to them their deserts. Psalm 28:4

I totally agree but these are strange times. People fear the unknown. If a lot of the panic buyers are 1st timers it could be a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Those first time guns will for the most part make their unloaded way to a drawer or closet with a box of ammo stored somewhere nearby.

No, it doesn't worry me.
    forester58, mkh, airslot and 21 others like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.”― Friedrich Nietzsche

I hope you didn't mean it that way, but your post sounds like something the anti-gunners, like Moms Demand Action would say. 2A does not make those distinctions on who should, and should not, have arms. Truth is, most people who buy guns for protection don't get enough training even in the best of times, yet people without training successfully and legally defend themselves with those guns all the time.

And some who buy in a crisis may have training. As surprising as it may be to people on this site, there are people who have been trained with handguns in the military, law enforcement or private security who are no longer in those jobs and don't own any guns of their own. My brother is an example. He has been in all three lines of work, but he always had issued guns. He may be out buying one right now and if he is, he will know how to use it.

I see a positive in all this. People are affirming that the RTKABA is essential for self preservation. A lot of those people buying may have never thought of it that way before now. But due to this crisis, they have not only thought of it, they have taken action on it. Those are more people who may get upset at politicians who will later want to take guns away.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

I am certain that this too will pass and a few months down the road a lot of hardly used guns will hit the pawn shops...deals ahead.

Luckily nobody knows what happens in the future.
    airslot likes this.

Interestingly I've never been in a pawn shop that had deals. Asking price was always the newest price. I was in one yesterday too.

mkh
    Just me and a Sig 1911 in a foxhole somewhere in NE FL
    The only fear I have is that most of the buying is by the liberal hypocrites and we are actually arming the enemy. But most will probably be pawned as soon as this is over or left forgotten in the back of some closet.

My son went to the largest volume gun store in our area this morning to get some Pmags and he said people were getting upset when they found out that they couldn't take their new guns home with them. Darn waiting period was messing them up. Florida CWFL holders don't have to wait but these were all first time gun buyers so no CWFL. Getting bit in the arse by gun laws they lobbied for = instant karma for those folks.
    Be the kind of man that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap he's up!"

Not my circus, or my monkey.
    airslot, OD*, msgt/ret and 16 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

The so called liberals buy guns just like the conservatives. It is the opposite side most people want to disarm.

Senior Member Array Chicagobill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    The only fear I have is that most of the buying is by the liberal hypocrites and we are actually arming the enemy. But most will probably be pawned as soon as this is over or left forgotten in the back of some closet.

My son went to the largest volume gun store in our area this morning to get some Pmags and he said people were getting upset when they found out that they couldn't take their new guns home with them. Darn waiting period was messing them up. Florida CWFL holders don't have to wait but these were all first time gun buyers so no CWFL. Getting bit in the arse by gun laws they lobbied for = instant karma for those folks.
    A lot of first time buyers where I work and some former anti's. The anti's are learning they actually need a background check.
    mkh, lordofwyr, Instymp and 7 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty222 View Post
    The so called liberals buy guns just like the conservatives. It is the opposite side most people want to disarm.
    Right on. I consider a liberal who owns a gun for protection as a positive for gun rights. The more guns out there and the more CC permits issued, the less politicians on both sides will want to mess with restricting people's rights. I wish every law abiding adult owned a gun for protection.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    I'm concerned over one of these people shooting someone over a roll of toilet paper, or using the firearm to stop a verbal altercation. Bad reflection on responsible gun owners. I'm also concerned about people buying a firearm they are totally unfamiliar with and it being too powerful or too complicated for them. Have you seen any of the videos of people who never touched a gun before as they try to figure out how to load and fire it? One of the worst was the AR! They'll be frustrated by it and give up firearms all together. Or they'll die because when they need it they can't figure it out. Great they are buying them, but not great if they have a horrible experience because of their ignorance, either of the law, the manual of arms, or basic firearm safety.
    mkh, halem1, bill35738 and 3 others like this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    Right on. I consider a liberal who owns a gun for protection as a positive for gun rights. The more guns out there and the more CC permits issued, the less politicians on both sides will want to mess with restricting people's rights. I wish every law abiding adult owned a gun for protection.
    Yes Sir.

I think the people who made the Hungarian revolution in 1956, were all liberals.
    Recon1342 and marcclarke like this.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links