Small of back carry

Small of back carry

This is a discussion on Small of back carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I keep seeing posts about both firearms and knives, talking about small of back concealed carry. IMHO it is an extremely dangerous practice. If you ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Small of back carry

Small of back carry

I keep seeing posts about both firearms and knives, talking about small of back concealed carry. IMHO it is an extremely dangerous practice. If you stumble, or are pushed onto your back during any physical confrontation, there is a chance that your spine will be pushed against the weapon of choice with a great deal of force. Force enough to break a vertebra or injure your spine in some other way. And I’m not just talking out my rear...was a police officer for 36 years and have personally observed 2 incidents where the plainclothes officers carrying in that manner were injured badly enough that they were forced to take a disability retirement. One of the two also wound up in a wheelchair for the rest of his life.
    There are just better and definitely safer ways to conceal a weapon.
    Cheers,
    Lunger

“Well…..there’s only one fight.”
    David L. (Bigfoot) Green
    Deputy Sheriff 1976-2010 Ret.
    Wavygravy, 10thmtn, ctr and 9 others like this.

VIP Member
    This may be one of the few threads where there is unanimous agreement from the forum members.
    .......mostly.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

VIP Member
    Small of back would never work for me, my old shoulders are not dexterous enough to reach the gun quickly.
    I would look like a dog chasing it's tail.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

a lot of bad ideas like this come out of Hollywood.

When I got my first carry permit in 1992, I bought a SOB holster for my S&W 640 .357 magnum. All good detectives on television carry that way. My first carry was to a steakhouse with my wife. The hostess took us to a booth with high-back wood bench seats. I swung in to sit down and there was a loud clunk and a sharp pain in my lower back. That was the only time I ever wore that holster. It was the first of many holsters in the proverbial slightly used holster box.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunger View Post
    I keep seeing posts about both firearms and knives, talking about small of back concealed carry. IMHO it is an extremely dangerous practice. If you stumble, or are pushed onto your back during any physical confrontation, there is a chance that your spine will be pushed against the weapon of choice with a great deal of force. Force enough to break a vertebra or injure your spine in some other way. And I’m not just talking out my rear...was a police officer for 36 years and have personally observed 2 incidents where the plainclothes officers carrying in that manner were injured badly enough that they were forced to take a disability retirement. One of the two also wound up in a wheelchair for the rest of his life.
    Cheers,
    Lunger

David L. (Bigfoot) Green
    Who's posting promoting small of the back carry??? Are you cheating on us with other forums??
    hogdaddy, Pete63 and M1911A1 like this.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

I keep seeing posts about both firearms and knives, talking about small of back concealed carry. IMHO it is an extremely dangerous practice.

Yep!
    twotrips likes this.

Cheers,
    Lunger

David L. (Bigfoot) Green
    Then don't do it.

Personally, I think that problem is over hyped. More old people like me break hips falling than spines. My issue is my shoulders won't let me reach back there, too awkward, but as far as back injury, if I'm knocked on my back, I'm already in deep doo. I'd bet more guys have shot their gnads off appendix carrying than broken backs carrying behind the back.
    Rabbit212, flh, FLSlim and 6 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Then don't do it.

Personally, I think that problem is over hyped. More old people like me break hips falling than spines. My issue is my shoulders won't let me reach back there, too awkward, but as far as back injury, if I'm knocked on my back, I'm already in deep doo. I'd bet more guys have shot their gnads off appendix carrying than broken backs carrying behind the back.
    I know this thread is about sob carry, but I don't understand appendix carry either due to the possibility mentioned above, especially when seated. Maybe someone else can start another thread listing the pros and cons of appendix carry.
    Wavygravy likes this.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life Member

flh
    I use sob occasionally , it has its place/use for me , I can not remember the last time I have fallen, as for being physically attacked and put directly onto my back , not likely...if attacked/blindsided the likely direction of my decent will be face first ...
    Pete63, RETSUPT99 and dmevis like this.

If it is ever your misfortune to be attacked, alertness will have given you a little warning, decisiveness will have given you a proper course to pursue, and if that course is to counterattack, carry it out with everything you've got! Be indignant. Be angry. Be aggressive.

Jeff Cooper

Most officers I know, Ankle carry ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Forget the risk of injury. It's just a position that requires too much in the way of complex and difficult movement for presenting a pistol to make it logical for consideration. The best that can be said for it is that it looks cute in the movies.
    Wavygravy and Rabbit212 like this.
    Bill

Mel Gibson made it look easy in Lethal Weapon drawing his Beretta 92 from the SOB.

Its not.

ts clumsy and try re-holstering....go ahead. Dare you to try it.....without taking off your pants and starting over.
    Ride in a car for a period of time with that gun pressing against your back....the entire trip. Just awful. No thanks.
    LimaCharlie and M1911A1 like this.
    Give to them according to their deeds and according to the wickedness of their endeavors; give to them according to the work of their hands; render to them their deserts. Psalm 28:4

Give me a short easy route to my pistol and a short direct route from there to muzzle on target.
    M1911A1 and molleur like this.
    Bill

But it's soooo cool in the movies.
    M1911A1 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links