Traveling This Summer- Need a Airline-Safe Case/Safe - Page 2

Traveling This Summer- Need a Airline-Safe Case/Safe

This is a discussion on Traveling This Summer- Need a Airline-Safe Case/Safe within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by BillR I recently traveled to Denver, and the newer Glock case worked fine (padlocked) with the airlines. I was surprised when I ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Traveling This Summer- Need a Airline-Safe Case/Safe

Quote Originally Posted by BillR View Post
    I recently traveled to Denver, and the newer Glock case worked fine (padlocked) with the airlines.
    I was surprised when I got my Glock 19 last year that the case had no place for a lock, as some other manufacturers have. Glad to hear the newer ones have changed.

+1 on the Center-Of-Mass suggestion.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

+1 for the COM. I use it as a daily storage while I am ay work. It also worked well when I flew from Denver to KY. They will need to open it and inspect your firearm because they cannot X-ray the COM and see your firearm.

I use the Lifejacket, a small hard plastic lockable clamshell that closes over the trigger area, leaving the ends of the muzzle and butt exposed. It's easy for TSA and ticketing agents to see that there is no magazine in place, although more than half of them still want me to open it and show an empty chamber, which I'm always happy to do. It's much less bulky than a case. I have travelled with it many time with no problem. You could also pass a steel cable through it before locking it if you want to secure it to another object. They're also available for long guns.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

+1 on the Lifejacket. When space is a premium I think this is the way to go.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    it's handgunlaw.us not .com and there is no www in front of it.

Handgunlaw.us
    Great site- thanks! Michigan does recognize a Texas permit.

Quote Originally Posted by C Paul Lincoln View Post
    Could you use a Level II retention holster at night? If the kids don't know how to remove the gun, it is pretty safe from little hands -- especially with you in the room.
    I'm sure I could. Could you give me an example of a Level II retention holster? Is that like the Serpa holsters?

Quote Originally Posted by C Paul Lincoln View Post
    I have the Secure-It that I use for air travel. I cable the safe to the frame of my luggage, so they have to take the entire bag if they want the gun. I figure this helps keep the baggage handlers from ending up with my piece.

This is always very easy with TSA, also. Just open the bag, use the key to open the safe, they see the gun is unloaded, then close it up and I'm on my way. I put a TSA-approved lock on the luggage, too.
    So, forgive my ignorance, but do you put the Secure-It "inside" your luggage? Or does it rest outside of it, hanging attached to some piece of the frame? I am assuming that TSA does not allow fliers to bring an unloaded firearm in their carry-on, correct?

Also, how can I find out if a lock is "TSA-approved?"

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger View Post
    For this purpose COM offers a safe the same size as the regular COM safe, but with a biometric lock.

BioBox Safes
    I have never seen a safe like this for firearms- looks excellent. Does anyone know, from personal experience, how well the fingerprint reader works?

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger View Post
    For this purpose COM offers a safe the same size as the regular COM safe, but with a biometric lock.

BioBox Safes
    Some thoughts:
    1. The interior dimensions are sufficiently different that I could not store my M&P 4.5" 45 plus a spare 14-round magazine in the biometric model as I can in the large size key-lock model.
    2. Biometric locks are not sufficiently reliable to not expect to have to use a key sometimes. Sweat, dirt, hand shake and cuts all impact the reading reliability. Many users scan more than one finger to improve the probability of scanner access.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Quote Originally Posted by McPatrickClan View Post
    So, forgive my ignorance, but do you put the Secure-It "inside" your luggage? Or does it rest outside of it, hanging attached to some piece of the frame? I am assuming that TSA does not allow fliers to bring an unloaded firearm in their carry-on, correct?

Also, how can I find out if a lock is "TSA-approved?"
    The COM (Secure-It) safe must be inside your luggage. I connect the cable through the internal metal structure of my luggage. Someone with tools sufficient to cut the metal cable could get away with it. Safes and locks are to slow down the casual thief not deter the professional.

No firearms in any condition allowed as carry-on. Thus, if you travel on airlines that charge even for the first checked bag will add considerably to your travel costs.

TSA approved lock information: TSA: Air Travel
    Howard

The COM box is not TSA approved lock, nor should it be. The TSA approved locks are only for the outside bag. You are going to put the COM box in one of your checked bags. They will need for you to open the bag then they will re-secure the COM box and put it in youe checked luggage and you will not have access to it until you get to your destination.

Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    The COM box is not TSA approved lock, nor should it be. The TSA approved locks are only for the outside bag. You are going to put the COM box in one of your checked bags. They will need for you to open the bag then they will re-secure the COM box and put it in youe checked luggage and you will not have access to it until you get to your destination.
    Good point, I forgot to mention that. Surprisingly, some travelers lock their container with TSA approved locks and the TSA personal do not recognize that this is against their own rules. Of course, TSA approved locks are for your luggage. But I mostly travel without locking my bags on the theory that the less secure my bag appears, the less likely it will be perceived as containing anything of unusual value. I don't know if that is why my bags have not been ransacked or I've just been lucky. BTW, some TSA approved locks contain an indicator to show that they have been opened.
    Howard

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    I have a COM box. It works well for light duty stuff, i.e. in the car storage.

For heavy duty travel, nothing beats the SKB gun case I have. It even had a de-pressurizing valve on the outside for when you land. You can drop this from the roof of a building & your weapons wouldn't even know it. It is airline approved, lockable, has removable foam.

Mine is similar to this one. Skb Pistol Case, Shooting Supplies, Skb at Sportsman's Guide

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    it's handgunlaw.us not .com and there is no www in front of it.

Handgunlaw.us
    Actually the website works either way, Handgunlaw.us or Handgunlaw.us

Double Sided Handgun Case

Not bad for $75
    "Brains before Bullets"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links